Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Factory Battery CCA?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berto is an unknown quantity at this point
Factory Battery CCA?

So the GF's car has left her stranded a 3rd time, battery issues.

Occasions recently where the battery has died.
- few months ago she was in a wreck, her hazards were on for an hour or two, when we went to start it, it was dead.

- few weeks ago, I installed a remote start, the next morning it was dead. I figured maybe because I was messing with it or the remote start had a drain.

- Today, was driving it all day, stopped for 4 hrs. Was dead.

lights aren't left on or nothing.

Her car is an 04 (60k miles) and I'm pretty sure its the factory battery still.

I went to advanced and they claim the battery is bad because its putting out only 300 cca, the question of the hour is.... I hear that the 'factory' installed batteries are only rated at 310 cca. But if you go buy a replacement they are 500 cca. Everything seems to be charging fine.

I just want to know if this is true or not (factory batts only 310cca), not sure where to look it up.

Last edited by Berto; 12-27-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-27-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Factory Battery CCA?

prolly some short caused by the wreck. check for damaged wires...
Old 12-27-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

factory is 420cca, and thats not really much for our cars. 500cca is much better.
Old 01-19-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marshach is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2007 Civic LX came with a 310 cca battery. One time I left my lights on for about 20 minutes and it drained the battery. I got a jump start, and drove home. Took the car to the dealership the next day because it was still under warranty. A technician tested the battery and said it was good. I didn't have any more problems with it for several months. Then, today, I was sitting in my car making some phone calls. I turned the key to the on position to roll down the windows. I sat there for 20, maybe 30 minutes making phone calls. I didn't have the radio or lights or anything else on. When I tried to start the car the battery was dead. I'm not sure, but I think I forgot to turn the key back to the off position after I rolled down the windows. Even if I did, I don't understand how just having the key in the on position could drain the battery. What could have been pulling the current? In any case, tomorrow I am going to replace the battery with a 500 cca battery so this doesn't happen again.

Last edited by marshach; 01-19-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 01-19-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

310cca!! wow that is what a lawn mower tractor uses lol. anyway yeah if you left car in ON position, it activates all sorts of electronics in the car like ecu, relays for fuel pump, etc so i can totally see it draining power quickly. the honda group51 batteries are all 500cca now anyway so you should be good. interstate makes em.