Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 Honda Civic Not In Gear (Automatic)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strangerjle is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Honda Civic Not In Gear (Automatic)

I'm new to the site and seeking for help to see what's wrong with my 2001 Honda Civc Ex Tranmission (Automatic). The milage of the car is around 101,000. The car suddenly stop responding to any gears while driving on the local road at 45 miles so we have to push to the gas station to check. At first I thought it was just the tranmission fluid so I check and it's a little bit off the minimum level, maybe it wasn't level while I park at the gas station so I fill up to the max level. The car was moving for a few seconds but then not responding to gear again. I towed the car home, drain the fluid and fill out with the specification from Honda whic 3.5 quart (almost to max level when check) but no luck. I notice when I drain the fluid, there are black gum at the drain bolt sticking like a magnet so I clean it. When I drain and refilled the fluid, the car able to shift and drive around the block but by the time it make back to the home it not moving again. There are no leak of any fluid, level remain the same (close to max level). I did try reverse, 2nd gear, 3rd gear and D, no response...look like it's in neutral. I don't know if the clutch pack or electronic has issue since I'm not a mechanic and don't have proper tools to dianostic the problem(s). I'm seeking for help from the community so please let me if you might know what's the problem is or having the same issues with your vehicle. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Strangerjle; 12-21-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-21-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 2001 Honda Civic Not In Gear (Automatic)

mods, move this also to the 7th gen forums...
To the OP:
start reading here
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...n-updated.html
and then read here (Note to not to do what the OP - original poster - was doing, but read the recommendationd given by the other members)
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...right-now.html
If still not enough, come back and post questions again.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 12-21-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-23-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GR Kastelic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2001 Honda Civic Not In Gear (Automatic)

Had to replace the transmission in my 2001 EX at 82,000 with same issue. Not a good year for this issue as far as I have read and experienced. Honda was not helpful when contacted. Sorry for the answer you didn't want to hear.