Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car wont start after Head Gasket and Timing Belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Car wont start after Head Gasket and Timing Belt replacement

There's no such thing as a basic Civic EX, you have a Civic EX, which means the head Triz has for sale is identical to the one in your car. Minus the damage lol.
Old 12-20-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keewee89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MindBomber
There's no such thing as a basic Civic EX, you have a Civic EX, which means the head Triz has for sale is identical to the one in your car. Minus the damage lol.
Well Triz said he wasnt sure what trim my car was, I'm unsure what he meant by that so I thought I'd just say basic lol
Old 12-20-2010
Banned

ricky123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just have a basic 04 Civic Ex. So I'll consider it if you think it matches.
Old 12-20-2010
Registered!!

Well just took a look at the timing and it was done wrong. Referred to a 2nd DIY thread and saw that I matched the wrong mark on the crankshaft pulley wrong. So I'll do that again and see if it starts.
Old 12-20-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

If I remember correctly the crankshaft pulley has to be looked at from up above, but if the crank gear is lined up correctly the crank pulley should line itself up naturally because it sits on the gear in one position only. Don't forget to put that little key back in the crank pulley when you put everything back together. (I'm not 100% sure what the gear behind the crank pulley is called, so I'm calling it the crank gear lol)
Old 12-20-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Gear behind the crank pulley? Isn't that the crankshaft?
Old 12-20-2010
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tbohar
If I remember correctly the crankshaft pulley has to be looked at from up above, but if the crank gear is lined up correctly the crank pulley should line itself up naturally because it sits on the gear in one position only. Don't forget to put that little key back in the crank pulley when you put everything back together. (I'm not 100% sure what the gear behind the crank pulley is called, so I'm calling it the crank gear lol)
Good point he could be missing the woodruff key.
Old 12-20-2010
Banned

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen
Gear behind the crank pulley? Isn't that the crankshaft?
yes it is.
Old 12-20-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

No, you have the pulley then a little gear behind it that actually spins the timing belt. the crank pulley i think just spins the accessory belt... my service manual is down right now otherwise i'd get you a picture...

The small little pulley that spins the timing belt is called the "Timing Belt Drive Pulley"
The bigger pulley that spins the accessory belt is called the "Crankshaft Pulley"

The woodruff key holds the timing belt drive pulley and the crankshaft pulley in proper timing sequence, one essentially sits beside the other and they spin together.

I have DIY on here somewhere of how to align TDC I'll post it up on here.
Old 12-20-2010
Whachya lookin at?

I found it, the second picture is the timing belt drive pulley, it's VERY important that it is aligned TDC.

I looked it up it was the TDC sensor. I've been super sick the last few days and I'm just not thinking straight.

Here is how i got the car back in time.

This is cam gear TDC. There is an "UP" mark on the cam gear, but there are also two notches on the gear itself. If you look at the gear on the side that faces the cylinder head you can see them. When they are lined up perfectly even with the block and the UP facing UP you know it's at TDC:

This is crank TDC:

Once these two are perfectly aligned and the timing belt is ON. Which was a bitch because every time I put the timing belt on the stupid crank would move out of TDC. It really takes two people to do properly. I spun the cam pulley twice counterclockwise with the timing belt installed, and everything was still lined up.

The final check is this. Once you put the crank pulley on, and it's torqued. It also has TDC marks on it. So, I spun the crank pulley 6 times counterclockwise and then set it to TDC with the markings in the following picture, and the cam gear was also TDC which means everything SHOULD be aligned. So essentially it was checked three times.

This is crank pulley TDC, it is best to look at it from above not below:

So that's it. How to realign your timing if your an idiot like me and forgot to mark things properly.
Old 12-20-2010
Banned

Its been abut 50,000 miles since I've taken that pulley off but Im pretty sure those two items you refer to, are one solid pulley. 2 ribbed channels for belts. I could be remembering some other car though who knows.
Old 12-20-2010
Whachya lookin at?

When I took mine off they were seperate, otherwise why would you even have the woodruff key?
Old 12-20-2010
Registered!!

Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

No, you have the pulley then a little gear behind it that actually spins the timing belt. the crank pulley i think just spins the accessory belt... my service manual is down right now otherwise i'd get you a picture...

The small little pulley that spins the timing belt is called the "Timing Belt Drive Pulley"
The bigger pulley that spins the accessory belt is called the "Crankshaft Pulley"

The woodruff key holds the timing belt drive pulley and the crankshaft pulley in proper timing sequence, one essentially sits beside the other and they spin together.

I have DIY on here somewhere of how to align TDC I'll post it up on here.
Yeah, that "little gear" is the end of the crankshaft.
Old 12-20-2010
Whachya lookin at?

All i'm trying to say here is make sure that timing belt pulley is lined up to TDC, if you line that up the crank pulley should line itself up through the woodruff key. I'm just trying to help him out not really too concerned about what's what here. Follow the guide above and you should have no problem getting the car back in time.
Old 12-20-2010
Whachya lookin at?

I'll have to remember it's considered the end of the crank tho. To save on confusion lol
Old 12-21-2010
Registered!!

Jeez, I didn't know the Crank Pulley 'Holder' had a mark to line up too. Also I didn't know the Camshaft was slightly leaning. I just thought the 'up' was directly up, but as the picture shows, its lined up with the rest of the car and just in the general up rather than straight up, because it does look a little to the left.

I'll redo it, and recheck it like 8 times to be sure this time, and yea my woodruff key is still there , made sure not to lose that.
Old 12-21-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Yea, I'm going to put that post in the DIY section under engine so it's easier to find. The only reason I found it was because it was my own post from earlier this year
Old 12-21-2010
Registered!!

There is a notch in the crank pulley and a mark on the dust cover and on the block itself (for if the dust cover is not on). It is slightly to the left so that you can see it when it's all assembled. The notch in the cam gear lines up with the top of the head (at about a 90 degree angle) once you do that then install the belt and to the tightening sequence then recheck the alignment.
Old 12-23-2010
Registered!!

Hoorah, I fixed the timing belt and the car started and stayed on, but I've got a new problem. I was hit the gas to 2500 RPM's for like 30 seconds to see if it was all good and stuff. I started seeing smoke, so I went to inspect and it was coming from the valve cover seal and the heat guard for the head. Had a light odor of burning wood, or could be oil burning smell, I'm not too sure what that smells like.

Any ideas?
Old 12-24-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Hmm... After my head gasket replacement I had some smoke coming from the head and exhaust area. It shouldn't be a problem, just all the crap burning off that went inside the engine when you had it apart. (Coolant, etc.)
Old 10-27-2014
Registered!!

Black02Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Old thread revival.

I have an 02 EX that I am trying to get back on the road. I have replaced the head gasket, T-belt, yadda yadda, you know the drill. Well, when I got it all put back together, I started and it ran perfect....for about a minute and a half. Then it just died. Pulled the valve cover to find the cam sprocket had backed off the shaft. It was at idle the whole time....

Tore it back down, pulled the plugs and dropped long screwdrivers down the plug holes. Turned the crank by hand to verify that all screwdrivers were down and away from the valves. Then I rotated the cam and checked all valves to ensure they would seat fully. No gaps, no space, all rockers stayed firmly against the top of the valve.

Reassembled and no the car will run for 2 seconds and die.

HELP.

I sick of working on this car. Designed by a small minded, small bodied Japanese engineer, and assembled by a 12 year old Japanese girl...I can't get my fat sausage fingers in there.
Old 10-27-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Black02Coupe
Reassembled and no the car will run for 2 seconds and die.

that normally means the timing is off,

take the cover off and verify,

are you sure you put the cam sprocket back on correctly?

if the timing is correct do a compression test, you could have very easily damaged valves by what you are describing