Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Bad issues out of town

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ElrichThain will become famous soon enough
Bad issues out of town

Hey guys. I'm on here all the time. I put a lot of work into my car and use my resources here a lot. However, I'm out of town, and don't have the time to really search and research the way I'd like to, so I'm going to start this in hopes of some ideas.

I recently (4k miles ago) replaces thermostat, coolant sensor, therm housing, water passage, and radiator (it was busted). Everything went well. Before I fixed it, it did overheat (smoked) for a couple of minutes before able to pull off and get a tow.

Until I left Atlanta, of course. I made it to Nashville for the weekend, and then to Indy, then it WAS onto Ohio for Thanksgiving, then home. However, when I got to Indy it got hot again, but didn't smoke. The reservoir was filled and there was a slight power drop before-hand. I had it towed to Honda, thinking the new therm was messed up, easy fix. The top hose was hotter than the bottom. I called my two Honda tech buddies back home, and they concurred. Well, the stealership called me this morning (quickly) and said that they want to do the $400 engine diagnosis, to see if it's a head gasket. Then, of course, it'd be $1800+ for repair (because I'm SURE they'll find a "problem."). Of course, I called my buddies, they were at a complete loss as to WTF they would need to crack the engine to diagnose a blown head gasket.

My friend told me two things: one, if it was a head gasket, that happened at the last overheat, it should have reared its ugly head by now. Also, if I get the car, and it starts overheating within 5 minutes or so, then it's the engine. If it goes around 40 minutes then most likely the therm. Or it caught an air pocket or something.

It made it all the way to a friend's reputable (I believe him) local mechanic. I spoke to him, he passed my scheister test. That was a 30 minute drive, and the car didn't overheat. However, when I stopped, the res. had filled back up again. Should be a good sign, according to my friend.

But I'm only cautiously optimistic. I would like to know what some people here think. That is, does it sound like it could be engine problems? Or would you stay cautiously optimistic as well? Am I gonna need a new engine? Have you seen similar problems? How would one tell exactly what *this* problem could be? It's only cause when I'm at home, if I don't do my own work, I'm with the guys that do it. I feel kind of naked leaving it to someone else entirely, so basically, what's the process of figuring out what the problem is?

Sorry for the length, and I thank you sincerely if you have any ideas, advice, or knowledge of a similar situation.

2001 Civic LX Automatic, 198k miles.

~Chris