Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Serious Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rab1dBuckets is an unknown quantity at this point
Serious Issues

2001 Honda Civic Ex
Automatic

Okay to start off three weeks ago I was accelerating and all of a sudden lost power (the tach and temp dropped to zero) I managed to make it to work and found out later the ECU was fried. I replaced it about a week ago. Well it was running quite well after that and then the check engine light came on.

I took it to the dealer and they told me that it was the catalytic converter and the ELD Sensor that were bad. (I also had a recall involving the air bag inflator fixed and the parts for an SRS recall involving the seatbelt ordered) The ELD Sensor has been ordered and the catalytic converter has also been ordered, but neither have been installed yet.

This morning as I was driving down the highway I used the cruise control to accelerate and all of a sudden the tach and car started surging and the CEL blinked in sync with each surge. I pulled over and sat for a minute and then restarted the car. It did the same surging and then the tach and temp gauges both dropped to zero. I did manage to make it home but the car was very sluggish and slow (just like the last time it dropped to zero) but it felt a bit different and the last time I did not experience any type of surging.

I just attempted to get the CEL codes and the code reader could not connect (this is how it was before when my ECU was fried).

So everytime i start the car now it does the surging bit, makes a funky clunk when i change to Drive and then i can drive for about 30 seconds and the tach and such drops to zero and i can only creep along. It also squeaks sometimes when i start it up now (that just started today along with the surging)

So if anyone has any ideas what this could mean I would appreciate the input!