Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Car Overheating

Didn't drive the vic for a few days. Took it out today to get the car moving again. Of course the car started to overheat on me at the Tim Hortons drive through. I turned the heat on full blast and it stopped. What I have noticed is this: The temp gauge bounces around when moving slowly and stopped, not sure about high speeds I haven't tried it yet. The overflow reservoir is overfilling for some reason. I'm starting to think thermostat. The car has 140, 000 kilometers on it and I haven't changed it yet (I know). Anyone have any insight? I searched a bit but got lazy. I'm going to change the thermostat soon but I don't think I'll be driving that car for a few weeks so it might be a little while before I do.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-19-2010
Pistol grip pump in my lap at all times

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Car Overheating

Same thing happened to me... The resivoir is overfilling because the coolant is getting displaced by air pressure getting into your cooling system. The air is called cylinder pressure. Sorry to have to say this but im thinking its a head gasket. Had the same problem... Spent over 200 dollars replacing all this stuff on the cooling system, and then had to dump another 300 to get my head gasket done.
Old 03-19-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that's great news. The car runs like brand new, and it hasn't shown any signs of issues. Oh well, time to do the timing belt anyway so I'll spend the 1000 and get it all done. I am going to try and do the thermostat though... seeing that I should have replaced it anyway. Why are head gaskets so common on this car? Is there a head gasket I can buy that will last longer than the OEM?
Old 03-19-2010

mr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, I think felpro makes a highwer performance head gasket. I know a couple others do too... Just check around the web. As far as common, well I've only been on this sight since late 2008, and I have seen quite a few at about the 110,000 to 120,000 mile range. Same symptoms as you. They never just change the head gasket, they spend a bunch of money on everything else first, then end up doing it. Yeah, I replaced my water pump and timing belt like two weeks before I started showing issues with my gasket. It sucked. I dont know why head gaskets are so weak in these engines. I hope all this helps ya man! Good luck.
Old 03-20-2010
Whachya lookin at?

My neighbour is an auto body guy and he looked at it for me. He said to change the thermostat but not to spend any money after that and to go directly for the head gasket so you were right. Hopefully it all works out. Sucks the car only has 80k miles!
Old 03-24-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Haven't had time to change the thermostat yet but I have picked one up along with some coolant, so I'll be doing it tomorrow. I did go outside and play with it for a little bit and noticed that my rad is way low on coolant but my overflow is... overflowing. SO, I'm thinking for sure the thermo. is stuck closed because coolant is not making its way past it... Hoping for the best here. Luckily I don't need this car as I'm off work for a month! whoo!

OH... and Honda quoted me 800 dollars JUST labor to change the head gasket... This does not include parts, and machining... I think they are insane and if I have to do it I'll be doing it in my driveway, which is no big deal. What a ripoff.

Last edited by BlueEM2; 03-24-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-24-2010

Yeah that is a ripoff!!! I did mine in my driveway, and all in all, it cost me about a third of that!!! Good luck to ya man! Im hoping its the thermo too.
Old 03-26-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Had no time to change thermostat (new baby) so I decided just to take it to Honda and let them look at it. They came back with Air Lock in the coolant system. So they are going to change the thermostat and flush the system. I'm not totally happy with this because what CAUSED the air to get in there??? Of course he threw out the "Have you tried to flush your coolant system by yourself?"... Which I haven't done. I bet you in another few weeks it will have air in there again. Hopefully by that time I will have some more time on my hands!! I'm gonna go pick the car up now and tell him to give me a new rad cap too.
Old 03-26-2010

They will systematically go through each step before they tell you its the head gasket. Find a local trustworthy mechanic, and have him give you the low down. Air in the coolant system without ever changing the fluid yourself is almost a dead give away for head gasket. Sorry to have to tell ya that man.
Old 03-26-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Well.. The thermostat was leaking at the bottom and air was getting in through there... so he says... He did show me the thermo. and the gasket was all mashed, strange considering it was never taken off. I just took it for an hour or so hard run (revving higher than normal) and everything seems okay. Coolant level is right where it should be. I'm going to keep an eye on it and my temps and see if anything else goes wrong. But for now I'm going to consider it fixed!!! Whooo!!! They wanted to charge me 200 bucks for labor... I told them I'm not paying it and they reduced it to 125. I should have just done it myself

Good thing I keep an eye on my gauges, otherwise I would have been buying a new head gasket, or possibly a new engine!!!
Old 04-01-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Well, the car puked again so next weekend im doing a head gasket/timing belt/whatever else job YARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 80k this makes me mad!!!
Old 04-14-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Well... the head gasket is done, finished, installed... Drove the car for a few days now, and I'm noticing a few things that I have not noticed before. First off... my rad hoses get mighty freaking hard mighty fast. I mean they get so hard that I can't even squeeze them (for rubber to touch rubber), definitely harder than they used to be (is this a GOOD thing??? as in I don't have air in the system any more?) The lower rad hose stays very cool compared to the top one (almost stays outside temperature). The car is not overheating at all, and it has not (yet) puked coolant out of the overflow. I checked to see if I kinked the overflow hose but it looks to be intact. I'm going to take it apart on Friday when I don't work to see if it's kinked on the bottom.

The other thing I'm noticing is a whining noise coming from the valve cover. I can't hear it with the hood closed, I can only hear it with it open when standing in front of the car. I've never actually "Listened" to my car like this before so I'm not sure if this is just pulleys and belts spinning. It's really hard to pinpoint where it's actually coming from.

I have no check engine light, nor did it come on when I first started the car after all the work.

I changed:

Head gasket
Timing Belt
Timing Belt Tensioner
Water Pump
Alternator Belt
Power Steering Belt
All the other seals and jazz.

Anyone have any ideas? Or just some thoughts to ease me on this. I commute in this car and I would hate to break down an hour away from home.

I'm thinking about taking the car to my friend who is a mechanic and having it pressure/leak-down/compression tested. But he has to charge me because it's not his shop. So I'd rather not go unless I had to.

Thanks in advance!