Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

3rd gear grind got you down?? i got your fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009
Im a Senior Member. Take that Noobs!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foffie has a spectacular aura aboutFoffie has a spectacular aura about
3rd gear grind got you down?? i got your fix

This is for informational purposes only but i have done this myself and solved my problem. As many em2 owners know the trannies are a little on the junk side of perfection. An easy fix which i was told by a former mechanic from a honda dealership was to put GM syncromesh into the tranny instead of honda fluid. Apparently most if not all the warranty tranny rebuild work that was ever done on these cars thru this particular dealership (cant say which one) and it may be more than one was just to add GM Syncromesh and the 3rd gear grind would dissappear. The only thing is im not sure if its a perm fix or you just gotta run sycromesh for the rest of your cars life. But he told me that cars would never come back for that problem again.

Note: This is only a fix for high RPM 3rd gear grind (like 5000RPM and up)any other problems you may have this may NOT resolve. So go ahead and try it i mean your tranny is technically already F**ked =)

Last edited by Foffie; 12-09-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-09-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 3rd gear grind got you down?? i got your fix

yeah its worth a try
Old 12-10-2009
Registered!!

Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point

Is this for Autos or manual?

I've got a manual and my 3rd gear works just fine.
Old 12-10-2009
Registered!!

GreenMachineDX is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont know, but if its not expensive then why not give it a try..
Old 12-10-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

****. I got fed up with my third gear grind years ago and had the transmission rebuilt. This would have been nice to try beforehand even though I'd feel like a traitor and a scumbag for wishing any GM product on my car.
Old 12-11-2009
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

well our trannys are GM-based as honda bought patents and built them into the 7th gen trannys (why do u think the autos are POS's) so using GM fluid in basicly a GM tranny makes sense.

only when i quick shift at high rpm do i get a grind. it's defently worth a try.

do you add it to the exsisting MTF or replace it entiraly? oh and how much would i have to get and where?
Old 12-11-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DieMaster
well our trannys are GM-based as honda bought patents and built them into the 7th gen trannys (why do u think the autos are POS's) so using GM fluid in basicly a GM tranny makes sense.

only when i quick shift at high rpm do i get a grind. it's defently worth a try.

do you add it to the exsisting MTF or replace it entiraly? oh and how much would i have to get and where?
I thought the tranny in the 7th gens was very similar to what honda has been using for years??? i guess I'm wrong again!
Old 12-11-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DieMaster

You might want to check a little further. Most of GM's patents are related to their auto transmissions and the use of planetary gears. My understanding is that Honda chose not to license GM's technology and Honda's automatic transmissions are not the traditional planetary gear style. It's an "automatic version" of a manual transmission.

None of this applies to manual transmissions.
Old 12-11-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

7thgen auto trans is totally different with very cheap parts and poor reliability. i believe there was a big change in the way they were made, not sure about gm parts tho. but however they made it, its junk
Old 12-11-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking manual sorry... have no clue about automatic.
Old 12-11-2009
Registered!!

Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
7thgen auto trans is totally different with very cheap parts and poor reliability. i believe there was a big change in the way they were made, not sure about gm parts tho. but however they made it, its junk
Pretty much all of the Honda auto transmissions made in the 21st century are junk. Look at the 7th Gen Accord automatic transmission fiasco.

I would feel dirty putting a GM product into my car. *shivver*