Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

How do YOU get better gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011
Autocross Padawan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light
Re: How do YOU get better gas mileage?

changing your fuel filter is also extremely important

with the shorter gearing on the ex tranny i find it difficult to find a good medium between RPM/gear on the highway. I generally am ok at ~70 in 5th gear but I often have to downshift for hills...I guess that's what we get for driving civics.. haha

i'd love to swap an hx tranny with the 10% taller 5th gear...but im not sure if i wanna go with a k swap or just buy a later gen civic...
Old 03-19-2011
Registered!!

7genmarathon is an unknown quantity at this point

One I thing try to not do is jackrabbit starts. Already mentioned, but why rush to the Next stoplight/sign when the light turns green.
Old 03-20-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Because people are impatient. They think that if they floor it, they'll get to their destination a whole 10 seconds faster.
Old 04-16-2011
Registered!!

sprkthead2 can only hope to improve

Buy a scanguage, check your air on your tires and fill to the max allowed on tire. Also check out ecomodder.com for other tips. Check out fuelly.com for real life data on mpg for civics and other makes.
Old 04-16-2011
Registered!!

sprkthead2 can only hope to improve

When freeway driving draft behind a van, pickup truck or trailer. Less drag. Coast in Neutral if driving a stick down hills. Time stop lights so you can coast thorough them when they turn green.
Old 04-16-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sprkthead2
When freeway driving draft behind a van, pickup truck or trailer. Less drag.
i throw my windshield washer to tailgaters. DON'T get in me ***, it's not even pretty, it's hairy!

Coast in Neutral if driving a stick down hills.
Fuel injection reduces drastically fuel or cut it altogether if car is in a hill and engaged. Idling in neutral uses more gas than that.
Old 04-16-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

fill to the max allowed on tire.
the tires will die early with excessive wear in the center.
Old 04-19-2011
Registered!!

got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough

I try to keep my car maintained for the purpose of fuel economy-but if you're worrying about 1 mpg so much that you won't even drive-what's the fun in owning a car? It's already a civic. If you didn't want ANY fun driving you should've bought a Prius. Just my $.02
Old 04-23-2014
Registered!!

Jlp44 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2001 coupe. I carefully monitor my mpg, and hands down what makes the biggest difference is reducing weight - primarily fuel weight. Granted, my driving is at least 75% highway but... If I burn through a full tank I'll average about 30 mpg. I never fill more than 4 gallons at a time. With my commute that's about 3 days. I consistently get 37 mpg.

Also, I coast when possible. My friends riding with me give me crap - to which I say "why accelerate toward a red light?"
Old 04-24-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

I plan to keep my EX sedan predominantly stock, so many of the mods here won't apply to me as I plan to sell it in a couple of years... it needs all the help it can possibly get!

I do check tire pressure weekly. Seen good compromise where I live and for my DDing, filling cold 35psi F&R. That way you aren't lifting much edge tread from the ground and heating up and wearing the centers, but you aren't wasting much energy in flex either. My tired stock suspension also seems to like running at 35, much better ride quality.

This assumes you already know the maint issues that affect mpg and have them dialed.