Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Vibration while braking at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JALO03CIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
Vibration while braking at highway speeds

2003 CIVIC - I have a vibration that is felt in the steering wheel, (not the brake pedal) at highway speeds. I can not track it down. The tires are in balance and the alignment is in check.

Is this a rotor issue or a rim issue? The car is all stock

I thought a rotor issue would only be if the pedal pulsates, I'm a wrong?

Please help
Old 09-11-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vibration while braking at highway speeds

steering wheel shake is from bad wheel balance (most shops have issues getting it right, ive tried several and noticed there is a huge difference in how good they balance it, or maybe some of your wheel weights fell off), or it could be from slight imperfections in the rim or a bent part from road damage. if you have stock rims, im sure its just a wheel balance issue. altho ive also had bad or unevenly worn tires cause vibration.

vibration while braking would be related to a braking system part like pad/rotor.
Old 09-11-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Yea I agree with gearbox, look at your pads and rotors. You dont feel pulsating in the brake pedal?
Old 09-11-2009
Registered!!

Scarecrow is an unknown quantity at this point

yep, i say brakes...
i could have it bass akwards, but usually if the steering wheel vibrates its the front brakes (maybe rotors need turned), and if the brake pedal vibrates more, then its the back brakes (or drum needs turned).

? wouldnt missing wheel weights shake all the time? but it WOULD be more noticable while braking.

anyway just my .02$
Old 09-11-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

wheel balance issues usually only cause vibration between 60-75mph at high speeds. can be completely fine below or above that range. if its the tires, switching the rear to the front should change the amount of vibration. if it doesnt, tires are prolly not the cause. brakes would not have anything to do with it since you are not pressing the brake pedal.
Old 09-11-2009
Registered!!

madAd is an unknown quantity at this point

Well if it's like your title says, "Vibration while braking at highway speeds", I would say it's the rotors. Replace or get turned if possible, along with the pads. Summit has a good deal on a slotted/dimpled rotor, ceramic pad combo. I've had these on my car for about 80,000mi, and the combo only costs about $150. The slots do make them a little noisy though if you step on them hard while at a high speed.
Old 09-11-2009
Premium Member

you can try to do some hard braking from 35mph and see if the pads get back into shape. usually "warped" rotors are just uneven pad material on the rotor. the rotor itself never changes shape. ive found that too much light braking can cause uneven buildup and usually hard braking can fix it. make sure the lug nuts are all torqued the same, otherwise you will always have problems.
Old 03-22-2010
Registered!!

BigMark is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all, thanks for any help in advance. This brake kit on ebay seems too inexpensive? Anyone use this brand, also what would a shop charge to install?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...item335b20b6fa
Old 03-23-2010
Registered!!

GreenMachineDX is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm, just check ur balance before u decide to buy that ^...