Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car Hesitates/Misses when A/C is on

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merv is an unknown quantity at this point
Car Hesitates/Misses when A/C is on

I have a 2001 DX sedan 5sp. When I turn on the A/C the car seems to hesitate or "miss" while driving. When A/C is turned back off car runs normal. A/C works fine.
Anyone heard of this hesitation or missing with the A/C on?

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car Hesitates/Misses when A/C is on

well i feel alot of hp being robbed, which is normal. not sure what you mean by missing. maybe you have a loose belt or something.
Old 07-04-2009
Registered!!

Merv is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
well i feel alot of hp being robbed, which is normal. not sure what you mean by missing. maybe you have a loose belt or something.
When the A/C is on and I drive down the road while steady on the gas, the car will hesitate or stutter every 30 seconds to a minute. If depress the gas pedal, there is again some hesitation until the revs get higher. I know what you mean with a loss of power with the A/C on, but this is different. It does not remain at a smooth constant when the A/C is on.
Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-05-2009
Jp7
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jp7 is an unknown quantity at this point

I dynoed my CT with the AC on once (by accident) and lost 40 or so HP. I was like "WTF", really getting frustrated when I knew I had no knock, good timing and good AFR. I saw the switch on and I was like "OMG i'm such a n00b", turned it off, instant +40HP. LOL.

I normally have 11-9 inches of vacuum at idle with no AC, but it drops to about 7 inches with the AC on. Huge difference.

Do you have a vacuum gauge? Every car should have one. You can really see what is going on. A good running naturally aspirated engine should have about 17-19 inches of vacuum, if you have a 'stock like' setup. You may have a vacuum leak, causing the measured/calculated AFR to be off.

Last edited by Jp7; 07-05-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-05-2009
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

standard vacuum on a honda is around 22 inches, but with such a small engine its a large draw for ac to be on, its normal
Old 07-05-2009
Registered!!

batman900 will become famous soon enough

What your feeling is I believe the alternator kicking on and off while your driving. Mine does the same thing and always has. Also with AC on when I go from a stop in first gear I get a bad hesitation while letting the clutch out. Our cars are weak and the AC kicks their butt.

Nothing wrong with your car.
Old 07-05-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you mean a/c compressor? yeah mine does that too. as soon as it kicks in, the car shakes and all the hp goes away while driving. they when it kicks back off, power comes back.
Old 07-05-2009
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

its called parasitic draw, and most newer cars have it setup so that under wot the ac clutch disengages and power comes back when needed
Old 08-19-2009
Registered!!

civiboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem with my 99 plus when at idle everytime the compressor kicks in and my rpm's drop my air goes from cold to warm. I was thinkin if i got a voltage stabilizer would that help?
Old 08-19-2009
Registered!!

Ckutch02EX is an unknown quantity at this point

^That's normal. Put the air on fullblast at an idle with the lights on. Instant dimage and less air. Sit at an idle and hit the gas. The air gets colder till your tac hits normal idle then it dies again.
Old 08-19-2009
Premium Member

compressor works best at higher rpm like 3k. at idle it doesnt do much.
Old 06-29-2010
Registered!!

Rbr368 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi im knew here i got a 2006 civic ex with 50,000 milles and i have the same problem turn a/c rpm drops and every 15 seconds it drops to 500 and goes up i was trying to clean the IAC valve but i cant find it is any solucion for this maybe to get abigger battery or alternator please i need help or i got a special muffler i dont know is that makes a diference
Old 07-01-2010
Premium Member

if the idle is dropping, try to clean the idle valve. when a/c kicks on, the idle should quickly adjust and go up to compensate for the extra load.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...e-up-mods.html
Old 07-17-2010
Registered!!

Vince_TB is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, i'm glad i'm not the only one with that problem!

It kinda sux if you're doing stop and go driving: you can't really turn the AC on and if you do, the air is not that cold.

I have a question : is it bad for the AC to be regularly turned on and off when I do boulevard driving? I let it on when i hit a few green lights and turn it off when idling at reds.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2010
Premium Member

the compressor turns on and off by itself already so youre fine pushing the button. its made to be cycled on/off repeatedly. i think it olny runs for 30 secs at a time, then turns back off for some time. also if you press the gas down a certain amount (i think 50% throttle or more) it will cut off the compressor so you get more power to accelerate.
Old 07-17-2010
Registered!!

Vince_TB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, thanks! I just tried it and it works!

Too bad most cars don't have that issue...guess it's the price too pay for low gas consumption.
Old 07-17-2010
Premium Member

many new cars actually come with electric a/c motors now, so they are completely separate from the engine and do not rob any hp. older belt driven compressors like our civics will still have that problem of power loss.
Old 11-02-2011
Registered!!

518civic is an unknown quantity at this point

ive been notiicing the same problem with my 4 door 99 civic ex 5 speed, except itll hestitate, cut in/out, jump at acceleration even with the a.c off. ive been trying to diagnose the problem for months now tune-ups, new distributer,fuel filter, air filters etc. im stumped and quite annoyed. going to do the clutch soon and see if that makes a difference since it usually happens at 2-3000 rpms afterjust thrown my car into gear. never after 3000 rpms though. most noticable in 2nd and third gear