Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oil filter seal leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
madAd is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil filter seal leaking?

Hello all, I changed the oil on my '02 Civic this weekend. It has 155k on it, and after I filled the oil back up, ran the engine for a few minutes then topped it off, I checked my drainplug and filter for leaks( I always do this and have never actually seen a leak before). But there was some oil seeping between the filter and the engine block. So I went and got another filter, and changed the oil again. Same thing.
Does anyone know what might cause this, and what I can do to fix it since it might be a little difficult to have the gasket surface re-surfaced?
Old 06-16-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Oil filter seal leaking?

Make sure the old gasket is not still in place from the filter that was taken off.
Old 06-21-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oil filter seal leaking?

Could just be excess oil dripping from the old filter. It's hard to take the old filter out without spilling any and if you do spill some it might drip for a lil' bit!!!