Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Is the 09-3 SRS code covered under the lifetime seatbelt warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pete6032 is an unknown quantity at this point
Is the 09-3 SRS code covered under the lifetime seatbelt warranty?

Took my civic to the dealer and they diagnosed the SRS light code as 09-3, driver seat belt buckle switch failure. I have googled around and looked at several posts in this forum and see differing answers as to whether or not this repair falls under the lifetime seatbelt warranty or not. It's an 01 civic. Dealer wanted $225 for parts and 1 hour of labor to get it fixed.
Old 05-18-2009
Registered!!

Re: Is the 09-3 SRS code covered under the lifetime seatbelt warranty?

Update - Just called Honda Corporate and spoke with a representative who said it sounded as if the repair should be covered. What's even better is if the repair is covered, the diagnosis fee should also be waived since it was diagnosis for a warrantied repair. I am waiting to hear back from Corporate in 1-2 business days but I'm hoping this will get paid for by Honda.
Old 05-18-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

When my 05 had an srs light... I was told bt the service manager that anything to do with any part of the seat belt units it was lifetime coverage and the diagnostic fee is also covered.
Old 05-20-2009
Registered!!

Just heard back from Honda Corporate, looks like this problem is not included in the warranty because it is "an electrical system failure, not a seatbelt failure." I'm not sure how these other people online are reporting that it is being repaired under the seatbelt lifetime warranty.
Old 07-13-2011
Registered!!

Bremaria is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same 9-3 code. I called one dealer and they said $115 to replace it. I called another one, and they said it was covered under warranty. I checked my warranty and it says "any Honda seat belt
component that fails to function properly during normal use." There are no exclusions for electrical components. Here is a copy and paste of the seatbelt warranty:

Seat Belt Limited Warranty
Time Period
This warranty continues for the
useful life of the vehicle.

Warranty Coverage
Honda will repair or replace, at its
option, any Honda seat belt
component that fails to function
properly during normal use. This
includes all parts and labor charges.

This Warranty Does Not Cover:
• Replacement of a properly functioning
seat belt assembly strictly for cosmetic or comfort
reasons.
• Failure caused by abuse,
alteration, accidental damage,
misuse, or malfunction resulting
from a collision.
Old 07-13-2011
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pete6032
Just heard back from Honda Corporate, looks like this problem is not included in the warranty because it is "an electrical system failure, not a seatbelt failure." I'm not sure how these other people online are reporting that it is being repaired under the seatbelt lifetime warranty.
I went to my local dealer, they fed me the same line of bullshit, they tell me its not covered by warranty because it's an "electrical issue" and only physical defects are covered (I was going to disassemble it myself and break the locking mechanism, then return).

Instead, I called the next-nearest dealer. They had no questions about it and didn't argue, tells me it's under warranty, and got me serviced.

Indeed, the warranty does not differentiate between the electrical and physical components of the seat belt, so I'd argue with them and show them the warranty.