Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Trunk Release Handle Stuck In Locked Position

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jhk1976 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Trunk Release Handle Stuck In Locked Position

Help!

I have a 2005 Honda Civic LX Special Edition. My trunk release handle has a lock on it, so you can use the master key to lock the trunk release handle, preventing the trunk from being opened from inside the car. Last week I locked the trunk handle, but have been unable to unlock it. I insert the master key and turn it from the locked to the unlocked position, but the handle is still locked somehow. When I turn the key, I don't seem to feel any resistance from inside the locking mechanism, so I have a feeling something's come undone in there.

I'd like to fix this myself if it's something simple. Anybody know how I can go about opening the sucker up to see what's going on and/or how to fix it?
Old 04-01-2009
Registered!!

badhabits is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Trunk Release Handle Stuck In Locked Position

ignore everything i say.

you could probably just pry the plastic cover off, and move the lock manually :P

but then if u crack it (and u will) ud have to buy a new cover, but i doubt they could be too expensive :P
Old 04-01-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

that lock is a joke lol. yeah just try to pry out the top plastic piece and play with it. spray some lube in the hole too maybe its jammed. i dont even use it cause if you forget its locked and yank the handle, it will prolly snap off.
Old 04-02-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I have a bulletin for something similar to this on my home pc. I will try to locate and post it.
Old 04-02-2009

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Cant find the TSB... Forgot I lost some stuff a while back.

I attached the page from the manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Trunk & fuel door opener info.pdf (183.7 KB, 2774 views)
Old 03-08-2010
Registered!!

spawnaside is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have the same problem! Did anyone find a solution?

Trunk release will not work. The key will turn the lock but the handle never becomes operational...

Are there any good sites for the TSB?
Old 03-09-2010

I had the same thing recently, I used a multi-folded sheet of paper wedged between the lock cylinder and the metal bracket on the rear side. It moved the bottom of the cylinder forward and allowed the 2 mechanism to start meshing again and it has worked fine since.

Once the covers are removed the lock cylinder can be pryed straight up for removal.