Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

7th gen DIY ATF change

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rscottg is an unknown quantity at this point
7th gen DIY ATF change

I was wondering if anyone has tried an atf change on their 7th gen civic?

I also have a Mazda, and on another forum, someone did a great job documenting the job on a Mazda 3. They attached tubing to the ‘out’ part of the oem transmission cooler and used the transmission own pump to pump the atf out. In his case, they pumped out 3 quarts or so – stopped, added 3 new quarts to the tranny, and so on until the fluid coming out looked new. I see similar instructions on the Amsoil site, except they have you add atf at about the same rate as it is pumping out.

Anyhow, has anyone tried this with the civic? Is the cooler something that is easily accessible? Do you know what size tubing would fit the outlet of the cooler (3/8?) ? I realize I could just go and look myself, but I'm waiting for warmer weather.

From what I’ve read, it seems like Honda ATF is the way to go. I’ve read enough posts stating this that I have to believe it’s worthwhile to stick to the Honda product?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 7th gen DIY ATF change

all you do on the civic is loosen the drain bolt, let the fluid come out for 5-10 mins (about 3 qts), then put the bolt back with a new washer and pour the fluid in from the dipstick. stick with honda atf. the whole system holds roughly 9 qts, but you can only drain out around 3 qts. in most civic, the "cooler" is just the radiator, unless you have an HX with separate trans oil cooler.