Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

The ultimate Intake FAQ – Intake questions and answers here!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
agentfouser is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: The ultimate Intake FAQ – Intake questions and answers here!!!

sorry for the noob question, but it's kind of the opposite issue from the rest of the posts here. my 95 civic came with an aftermarket air intake, but i've now discovered that it's illegal and won't pass smog here in california. so, since i don't have the money or the burning desire to invest in a new intake that will pass, i've bought a used stock intake to put in. however, i can't find any instructions on how to replace a stock air intake. it looks pretty straightforward, but if anyone has any suggestions, tips, or websites with pictures it would be much appreciated.
Old 06-23-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

I would just look up instructions on how to put an aftermarket intake on, and do it in reverse. Simple as that.
Old 06-27-2009
Registered!!

kailicious is an unknown quantity at this point

another very very noob question here.
soooo sorry... im really new at this modification thingy. i dont know a thing bout it. as in nothing. the only thing i have put on is my 4-2-1 headers... anyway...

i drive a 2000 vti civic automatic. i told 2 of my friend at separate occasions that i want a cold air intake installed. i got a common response. they looked at me then laughed. i remember one of them saying that i should do it only if i would like my headlights go "blind"

whats up with that?

Last edited by kailicious; 06-27-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-27-2009
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

I dunno what your friends are thinking, they sound lame- they dont really sound like friends at all. But anyways, a lot of times ppl will pull a headlight out and route their intake through the opening to get the incoming "cold" air while driving. This is totally custom, no kits that I'm aware of come like this. Doing this would make you lose a headlight, and in turn, make your headlight go blind? Thats all I got.
Old 07-01-2009
Registered!!

loki7714 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quick question will these three parts work together?

Honda 96-00 Civic (DX/LX/CX) Weapon-R Secret Weapon Intake System

http://www.weaponspeed.com/Honda-96-...g-p-16886.html

Airaid Poweraid throttle body

http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...0A3112523.aspx

Bbk throttle body

http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...0A3137611.aspx

I have a 98 Honda Civic DX. Thanks!!!
Old 07-01-2009
Premium Member

The intake and the TBS (throttle body spacer) will work together- I'm not famil enough with that throttle body to give you an answer- I've never heard of it acutally. If it bolts to the stock intake manifold then it will work with everything. You might need to find another rubber pipe connector to fit your intake to the throttle body but those are easy to find online if not locally. You might run into a snugger fitment of the intake with the TBS but it should still work. With your engine, the whole intake will move away from the throttle body by the thickness of the TBS. Get it?
Old 07-02-2009
Registered!!

loki7714 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think so. Thank you very much ill look into it. But it would prob be easier to install the new throttle body and the spacer together right? And what is the difference between the slightly bigger and slightly smaller throttle body? Is there another type you'd recommend... feel free to ignore these questions i know im asking a lot.
Old 07-02-2009
Premium Member

Its all good bro.

A bigger throttle body will allow more air into your intake manifold and consequently into your motor. More air = more fuel, which equals more power. Obviously there is a max size where the benefits top out and the bigger your push the TB size beyond this point you'll start hurting your motors performance (You'd have to do some flowbench testing to find out the exact maxout point, but that really wont be an issue unless you plan on fully race prepping the ish outta your car an running slicks and all that seriousish). A smaller TB will make it harder for your engine to breath (its like you trying to breath through a straw vs a snorkel)

Easiest way to install those parts would be to put them on at the same time since you have to pull the TB to install the spacer anyways.
Old 07-19-2009
Registered!!

KurtyG123 is an unknown quantity at this point

good thread. sorry i didnt read it before i posted my thread about it
Old 08-02-2009
Registered!!

ursalog is an unknown quantity at this point

Is getting a new intake manifold worth the cash over stock if not planning to turbo? Edelbrock Performer X Intake Manifold to be more specific, also if it is is it applicable on a 2001 hoda civic ex 2dr? i'm on procivic.com looking at it and i set up all my settings on the side its supposed to remove the parts that arenat compatible and there are two options left for me that read Universal (B16A2/A3, B18C5 Engine Swaps Only, Natural Finish) Edelbrock Performer X Intake Manifold and Universal (B18C/C1 Engine Swaps Only, Natural Finish) Edelbrock Performer X Intake Manifold, now i know my civic has a D17A2 sooo end my confusion/ignorance please
Old 08-02-2009
Premium Member

Wont work. Those are for the B series, they never released one for the D17. Really the only reason to upgrade the intake manifold is if your going to boost it and dont want to crack your mani from the increased pressure. Thats why the boost guys do it.

Now if your not going to boost it, then the only reason to swap your intake mani is for the bling factor (I think there is one on ebay thats generic as **** but looks pretty bling). OR if your going to do a full out build on the motor and want to squeeze ever last HP outta it.
Old 11-27-2009
Registered!!

Pongo08 is an unknown quantity at this point

i read in a couple of places that youll also need a new MAF???
Old 01-17-2010
Registered!!

civicinvic is an unknown quantity at this point

I need an opinion, CAI or SRI.... It rains a fair bit where I live, here in Victoria, BC (608mm/24" annually). I came from a desert although :S. Vancouver, BC has 1200mm rain annually for reference. I'm wondering is this would be too much rain for a CAI, to avoid any 'lockage'.

Secondly. K&N or AEM?
Old 01-17-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

sri is safer, and both brands are good but if you get the K&N, replace the filter with aem dryflow lol.
Old 01-17-2010
Premium Member

It matter how many inches or mm a year you get, it depends on how deep the water is where you drive, if there is standing water in the road, or you like to go high speed through flooded parking lots, then get a short ram.. if you get a CAI, then you'll have to be kinda cautious when it rains, but honestly its not a big deal.

I live in portland and its constantly raining for 6 months out of the year... we rarely have any standing water, but put holes fill up and you cant dodge them all especially when its dark.

Forget K&N. AEM, AEM V2 with dryflow filter hands down.
Old 01-18-2010
Registered!!

civicinvic is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea, I had done some further looking, and found the AEM V2. Said to be better than a CAI, but it's a SRI which is good for the whole rain thing.
Old 02-13-2010
Registered!!

cas04571 is an unknown quantity at this point

is it a problem to pass state inspection with an air intake.>?? or sport headers..??I live in NJ, also, is it true that installing headers will diminish live expectancy in your engine, same amount of hp.. in both cases??? Thank you much
Old 02-13-2010
Premium Member

Intake is fine, as long as you install the sensors that were in the stock one- most have a slot for you to put the sensor in. Not a problem

"Sport headers" ... possibly, if it removes your cat converter then its a big no no and you'll fail emissions, or if it doesnt remove your cat and your state (not famil with NJ emissions laws) says you cant have aftermarket parts on your car.

Headers wont kill the engine at all. They affect only the exhaust gasses coming from the motor and going into your exhaust system so there is no affect on life of the motor... If anything the exhaust will exit faster and put less stress on the motor.
Old 06-17-2010
Registered!!

cmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura aboutcmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura about

ok i got a few questions. one i have heard having knn airfilter is bad because it is oiled and collects dirt. i have an aem synthetic filter that dont need oiling. but havent gotten the piping to put the kit on. but anyways now if i put a bigger throttle body on my car is it worth the money? and is it even legal for street use? then finally i want to get a throttle body spacer also. would any of these parts be worth the money?
Old 06-17-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I hear the TB spacers are a waste of money
Old 06-17-2010
Registered!!

cmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura aboutcmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura about

see i heard they help a lil and if you get the ones with the ridges in em then they make the air spin or something? (idk) and that makes the air more dense but i am seriosly thinking bout putting a bigger throttle body on.
Old 08-25-2010
Registered!!

Caymanized is an unknown quantity at this point

The only way an intake would provide any substantial cooling properties is if you had some major mad scientist friend rig up a 'wrap', for lack of a better term, that had constant 20* coolant flowing through it and the intake manifold keeping it a substantial bit cooler than the engine bay air.

That was meant to be comical, and possibly spawn a mad scientist! I have a SRI on my wifes DX, and no changes that we can tell. A good PnP of the intake manifold, and heads could be a good start though. I don't know enough about civics to be of any real help here, but just common knowledge (to me anyways) always helps people be guided in the proper direction on any minor (or major) modifications.

I personally think, that any kind of intake mod is just subliminal messaging to young (and old lol) kids to buy more 'performance' mods. Just my two pennies Great write up, can't believe some of those questions were actually asked O_o....
Old 08-25-2010
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

k guys and girls, please don't kick me off the site for asking this next question lol. is there any info out there of someone routing the ac into the intake? i've poked around as a joke but i really am curious. i know the first thing to come to mind is that running the belts and so forth for the ac robs power. but that is also true for a supercharger, which is belt driven. and no i don't expect ac to come anything close to a supercharger but i've wanted to know a deffinite answer from someone who has tryed it or seen it, not someone who'll just repeat the same old "that's soooo rice and will do nothing", with no actual experience.
Old 08-25-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the a/c thing was talked about before and decided it will not provide more power when taking into account how much is robbed from the compressor being on. generally, every 10F drop in air temp gives extra 1hp. the compressor robs at least 15-20hp from the engine, someone measured on a dyno. even if you were able to inject a/c air at 50F on a 90F day, that would only give you 4hp. which is almost nothing compared to the losses. DEI actually makes an air intake cooling system using liquid CO2 that has been proven to give at least 8-10hp by lowering air temps to near freezing. unfortunately its very expensive and on hot days, i would worry about condensation forming (much like a cold drink with ice sweating on a hot day).
Old 08-25-2010
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

thx gear! i've wanted to know for like two years now, lol.
Old 05-20-2013
Registered!!

03 D17A1 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey guys im new to the forum i have 03 civic i was thinking to get a d17a2 head and swap the heads would it be worth it or no?????
Old 05-20-2013
Registered!!

WJackson2006 is an unknown quantity at this point

um just cause i find this a little newer genteration and i have had the talk with my dad and how to get cold air in the intake has anyone thought of using dry ice??? any takers on coming up with a design?
Old 09-08-2016
Registered!!

juandgaf619 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: FAQ - The ultimate Intake FAQ – Intake questions and answers here!!!

yo whats the color code for that stone grey look?
Old 03-03-2018
Registered!!

Dennis Lee is an unknown quantity at this point

I want to swap my intake manifold what manifolds are compatible with my D17A2?

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-04-2018 at 04:14 AM.
Old 03-03-2018
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dennis Lee

I want to swap my intake manifold what manifolds are compatible with my D17A2?
DIY: Y8 Intake Manifold Swap on D17A2-Ver. 2

Quick Reply: The ultimate Intake FAQ – Intake questions and answers here!!!