Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

DRL Problem [solved]

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jackfruit is an unknown quantity at this point
re: DRL Problem [solved]

Hi all,
Sorry to bring back this old topic. I have the same problem. Could you guy tell me how to open the plastic cover on the left of the steering wheel to reach the DRL module? I'm afraid I would broke it up if try to open it. I googled for a while but to no avail, it seems to be easy but not for me :-(
Mine is Civic 2003
Thanks.
Old 07-11-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^^ Try looking underneath the far drivers side.... post # 7 has a good photo.
Old 07-11-2014
Registered!!

jackfruit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CraigW
^^^^ Try looking underneath the far drivers side.... post # 7 has a good photo.
Well, may be I was not very clear, my problem is that I don't know how to open the plastic cover as shown in the following photo...

Thanks
Old 07-11-2014

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

This may help out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
01-05 Dashboard Pocket R & R.pdf (382.7 KB, 553 views)
Old 07-28-2014
Registered!!

xxgg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

My 2005 Civic Special Edition (Canadian model), I have had a DRL light on for few months but only thing that stopped work was the passenger side high beam, which I didn't care for, so I never bothered to look into fixing this DRL.

Today, while driving I noticed that I wasn't seeing daytime running light reflecting on from the vehicle front of me.
So I did a quick Google to read some forums and view some videos on youtube.

Even for a person who doesn't know about cars, I though it was very simple enough. So I opened two panels under my steering wheel by turning the lock tab. Now this grey box wasn't under there but to the far left all by itself in wide open area... so it looked simple enough. I couldn't put enough force to push up the box due to the possible, so I simple took a flat head screw driver to pop the tabs and slide the circuit board down after disconnecting the plug.

(btw... i had no idea how to remove the panel to the left from the photo other user have posted with red box drawn, that is why I went through where I went through).

Thanks to my hobby in electronic radio control, I had all the tools to do soldering work. Due to not having a magnifying glass I could not see which soldering points might be cracked off and not making proper contact with the circuit board.
So I did what I always do now a days,,, I took a close up photo with flash, either smartphone or any digital camera will do and view the image up close on my computer monitor.
There was two that had a hair line alike crack, so I soldered that and few other since I am at it. Mostly once with brown spots already. This took about 5 minutes.

Took the circuit board back to the car, plug in the plug before placing it back in to the grey box. Success! DRL light is off, daytime running light is back on, BOTH high beams are working now. All is working as it should.

Thank you all for do it yourself fix
Old 12-28-2014
Registered!!

jackw is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a problem with my 2006 Civic Drivers side DRL. I figured I needed a new bulb, but that didn't fix the problem. I checked continuity in the old bulb, after I tried a new bulb and found out both new and old were ok. Does an 06 have the circuit board? I couldn't find it up under the dash. I removed the trim panel directly below the steering wheel and couldn't find the module to check for broken/failed solder joints. I'd really like to fix the problem.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Jack
Old 12-29-2014

Originally Posted by jackw
I have a problem with my 2006 Civic Drivers side DRL.
Does your drivers side high beam work ??

Your headlights and drl are all controlled by the MICU inside under-dash fuse box...... but you may have an open connection someplace.
Old 10-09-2015
Registered!!

Steven Eisler is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by unTuned
you switch them on during the day? doesnt that **** people off? or do you mean that you just flick them on and off and that makes it go away?

anyway, you dont need to mess with a relay or anything to disable them, just remove the drl fuse in the fusebox located just above your battery. your drl wont work without that fuse in place.

i personally think theyre pretty useless except for maybe when its really rainy or foggy, but in that case you just turn your light switch once to get your signals/parking lights on. i havent had my drl lights in about 2.5 years and ive never had a problem. my hid kit got rid of my drl/high beams which i dont need either of. i just have regular evening headlights.

I would like to have my DRL function deactivated in my 2001 Civic Si (Canadian) as well. I checked the diagram and if you remove that fuse you are mentioning, it also kills either the left or the right headlight in general!!!
Old 10-09-2015
Registered!!

Steven Eisler is an unknown quantity at this point

No dice man, that would kill either the left or right headlight all together if you remove it!
Old 09-12-2016
Registered!!

Len D is an unknown quantity at this point

figured it out. I couldn't get the connector out of the socket. Discovered there is a little white tab (that you can barely see) that you need to press in to get the connector to release.

Got it out. Did the soldering (kinda crappy job IMO) got it back together and all works as it should :-) Happy camper.

Thanks to all who have contributed. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by Len D; 09-12-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-15-2016
Registered!!

Sturman is an unknown quantity at this point

I have changed the deleted modul changed all the bulbs and checked all the fuses still light is on 2004 civic low beams and hih beams work but not the drl lights
Old 01-24-2017
Registered!!

garigola is an unknown quantity at this point

I have 2004 2 dr civic with drl light of & on. I,m in canada & want to get rid of fuse for drl light. Please reply asap as to where it is located on my car. "BOB".
Old 03-15-2017
Registered!!

CraigW, Will pulling fuse for drl have any problem or affect head lights

[QUOTE=CraigW;4477221]Fuse #12 7.5 amps under dash box.[/QUOT
Old 03-15-2017
Registered!!

Will pulling drl fuse have any affect with headlights working either low or high beam or cause any other problems. Appreciate reply asap. Thanks garigola
Old 03-15-2017

Pulling the fuse labeled DRL will only effect that circuit..... but if in Canada, may get you stopped by L E.
Old 05-10-2017
Registered!!

HC_2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I have honda civic 2003. I am having the same DRL problem. when i switched on the high beam the buzzing sound will go away. Can someone please tell me where is the relay for DRL located. Please share images.
Old 05-10-2017
Registered!!

hi there. did u find how to open the cover. please share the procedure with some photos.
Old 05-10-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jackfruit
Well, may be I was not very clear, my problem is that I don't know how to open the plastic cover as shown in the following photo...

Thanks
did u find how to open the cover. please share the how to procedure with photos.
Old 05-11-2017

IIRC concealed screw (open coin tray/storage bin) & then panel hinges down.
Old 05-14-2018
Registered!!

Kijo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I have a 2008 Honda civic DX-G Canadian version automatic. The DRL indicator light in on for the past 4 days and my DRL lights don't work. I found the solution to the problem here, however I don't know where the DRL control unit is located in 2008 Honda Civic. Any advice, thanks
Old 05-14-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kijo
Hi,
I have a 2008 Honda civic DX-G Canadian version automatic. The DRL indicator light in on for the past 4 days and my DRL lights don't work. I found the solution to the problem here, however I don't know where the DRL control unit is located in 2008 Honda Civic. Any advice, thanks
Do the high beam headlights work?

USUALLY the DRL warning light comes on the dash when a high beam bulb is burned out or otherwise inoperable.
Old 05-15-2018

Likely MICU unit control...... other 8th gens are.
Old 05-15-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone

USUALLY the DRL warning light comes on the dash when a high beam bulb is burned out or otherwise inoperable.
Thanks ezone, my high beam headlights don't work. I will check and if necessary I will replace them. Hopefully this will solve the problem. I will post the results some times later in a few days
Old 08-18-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone

Hi ezone,
I was out of the country for the past 3 months so I didn't have the chance to check my high beams till now. I replaced the high beams and the fuse is not burnt however my high beams and DRL still don't work and the DRL indicator is on. I appreciate any further advice.

thanks
Old 08-19-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kijo
Hi ezone,
I was out of the country for the past 3 months so I didn't have the chance to check my high beams till now. I replaced the high beams and the fuse is not burnt however my high beams and DRL still don't work and the DRL indicator is on. I appreciate any further advice.

thanks
Do both high beam lights work?

DRL are controlled by the MICU inside the fusebox, and that's not a cheap item to guess at.

Old 09-02-2018
Registered!!

Hi ezone,

All of the fuses looked fine but to be on the safe side I replaced all those fuses related to front low beam and high beam and voila the problem solved.
Thank you again for your help
Old 02-24-2021
Registered!!

BiswajitHonda is an unknown quantity at this point

I had this intermittent DRL light lit up, DRL relay chatter problem. Watching YouTube videos I had soldered the cracked joints of the relay modules of the DRL circuit board. Now the the the relay constantly chattered and the DRL light was on all the time. Checked the DRL relay with a 12V power supply and found working fine. Finally replaced the DRL circuit board with a new one. That solved the problem. Lesson learnt was soldering the cracked joints is not always the solution.
Old 04-01-2022
Registered!!

BMYZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JerryLee
I have had the same problem (2001 Civic LX, right head light DRL) for one year. It got worse in the past couple of months. I just turned on the head lights all the time to get rid of the buzzing. I checked the wiring diagram and suspect the DRL module. I found a clue at wikianswers and took out the DRL module board. Crack solder points found at the relay pins(check the picture). Resoldered them, no more buzzing and the right head light is back in DRL status. This saved me at least $150.
Crack solder points are common when the pins are over heated. I believe this issue is common on this batch of DRL boards. You will see it sooner or later.
Another gratefull owner with the buzz and passenger DRL out has fixed the problem thanks to your specific pins identified. 2005 Acura EL.