Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

LOTS OF ENGINE CODES! dont know where to start! help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute
LOTS OF ENGINE CODES! dont know where to start! help!

P1498-EGR valve high voltage
P1259-VTEC malfunction
P0135-O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1)
P0141-O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2)

P0300-P0304(all random cylinder misfires.

alright so im guessing both my o2 sensors are bad and are sending bogus readings to the egr valve hence the high voltage egr valve? but the thing i dont understand is how both o2 sensors go bad at the same time. i dont know whats tripping the vtec malfunction, i rechecked all vtec wires and they seem to be good. i thought any vtec malfunction in these cars meant safe mode as well and i am NOT in safe mode.

the car works like a charm but it still has all these engine codes. i dont wanna jump to conclusions and go buying stuff for my car that i dont need so i thought i would ask here first. broke student in need of help here!! i searched the P1498 and P1259 and i couldnt find any relevant info.

where should i start to get these engine codes to go away?

also i got another thread in the "Electrical Wiring and ICE" thread about my battery light being on while the alt and battery are still good.
LINK https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4292151

THANKS FOR ANY HELP IN ADVANCED!!!

Last edited by civicsrcool; 02-28-2008 at 04:22 AM.
Old 02-28-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: LOTS OF ENGINE CODES! dont know where to start! help!

WTF, that's a strange one. You can clear the codes by unhooking the battery for about 10 minutes or go to Vatozone and get their scanner to clear them (it's free) if you don't have one or don't want to lose your radio presets.

Pull the VTEC solenoid off and clean the screen first off to eliminate that potential cause. For the rest, blech, seems like O2 sensors could cause it.

How many miles on the car?
Old 02-28-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

i already cleaned the vtec screen like 3 months ago? but i should check it anyways.... 84xxx miles on the car. probably like 40xxx on the engine. original o2 sensors that came with the car. do those codes mean the o2 sensors are bad?! thanks again foos.

any other pointers guys?!
Old 02-28-2008
Registered!!

bumppp! NEED HELP!
Old 03-02-2008
Registered!!

where is the help at! i need hlpe guys please.
Old 03-02-2008
Registered!!

hondarocks is an unknown quantity at this point

post your car info and all your mods
and i'll do some checking
Old 03-02-2008
Registered!!

its currently stock. just ebay intake and megan downpipe w/ stock exhaust. used to be boosted though @ 7lbs tho. no blowby. changed timing belt water pump, oil pump 5k miles ago. oil changed every 3k miles w/o turbo. changed oil every 1500 with turbo. motor has 40k miles. use 5w30 royal purple oil.
Old 03-03-2008
Registered!!

Is it an EX or LX ?
Old 03-03-2008
Registered!!

ex. bump need help. -.-
Old 03-03-2008
Registered!!

I Hate to say it but it sounds like your ECU has gone crazy
Old 03-03-2008
Registered!!

If I were you I would start with the cheapest thing like 02 sensor I would replace one of them and then reset the ECU and see if you get one less code. and go from there
Old 03-03-2008
Registered!!

if the ECU went bad dont you think there would be a lot more problems than rather EGR valve and o2 sensor codes?
Old 03-05-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

Depends where the point of failure in the ECM is..........You need a scan tool to monitor sensor values..........you need to drive around & monitor 02 sensor values...this will either identify or eliminate 02 sensor malfunctions.... This will also allow you to see whats going on w/ the ECM

None of those systems are related........if both 02 sensors were inop you would be in limp mode my friend.

If it was turbo than I'm assuming you had a piggyback used to tune......if so was it spliced in or PnP?
I'd start checking ecu harness aswell!
Old 03-05-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

my .2

bad head gasket?
bad o2 sensors?

have you had a valve adjustment yet?
Old 03-06-2008
Registered!!

i was using the dezod PNP harness. i dont think i can be the headgasket because just 2 months ago i switched the headgasket and i got ARP headstuds as well. dont know how to check if the o2s are bad without the scanning tool [which i dont have]. and i havent had a valve adjustment yet, but what does that have to do with vtec,egr,and o2 sensors? lol
Old 03-06-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

i threw a Randome cyliner misfire for like two years,

ended up being my valve specs and a blown head gasket...

i dono...
Old 03-06-2008
Registered!!

hmmm thats weird.. anyone else got any pointers? i will check my valves.
Old 03-06-2008
Registered!!

rahenry00 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the p0132 code for about 4 months intermittently. Althoguh it said front O2 sensor, the rear O2 sensor was the culprit. GL, it was a hellish battle.
Old 03-06-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by civicsrcool
if the ECU went bad dont you think there would be a lot more problems than rather EGR valve and o2 sensor codes?
don't forget random misfire on all cylinders altenator light and vtec malfunction how much more do you want
Old 03-07-2008
Registered!!

^^ i fixed the battery light, and vtec malfunction, now its just the EGR valve, o2 sensors and misfire codes. so its not the ecu.