Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Coolant leaking and over heating

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
theessence85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Coolant leaking and over heating

If anyone has any idea pleeeeease help me and ill love u forever haha.. anyways i seen the temp. gauge was really overheating , checked under hood and there was coolant leaking from the drivers side onto the engine and causing it to smoke. Then i drove just a bit more and then the heater stopped blowing hot air.. and finally i go to hit the brake and the car just kept reving up by it self?! wierdest thing ever.. any help on this matter would be awsome!! Thanks guy
Old 02-19-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Coolant leaking and over heating

Stop driving. It's possibly your thermostat died in the closed position. Remove it, put it back together, refill the radiator with water and start the car. If it doesn't leak, go buy a thermostat and a jug or two of antifreeze, drain the radiator, put the new thermostat in, and refill with a proper coolant mix. If it's still leaking you may have blown the head gasket. Any white smoke coming out of the exhaust?
Old 02-19-2008
Registered!!

Filled with water and it leaks still, no white smoke, when it cools down the temp goes down on the gauge but then goes back up when driving for a bit. And also the heater died the same time as the temp gauge went hot?? any more ideas?
thanks
Old 02-19-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

did you change the thermostat?
Old 02-19-2008
Registered!!

ya changed the thermostat as well, still the same thing.. any other suggestions.. the rads fine, but i have no clue about knowing if there is just some busted hoses or what.. think it just could be that and if so how expensive we talkin? thanks guy
Old 02-19-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

Remove the sensor behind the thermostat, fill it with antifreeze, replace sensor, start car.

I've done 2 head gaskets on mine and I ALWAYS get a pocket of air behind there that keeps the thermostat from opening.