Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 civic EX manual transmission problem

Old 12-12-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uber.spaced is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 2002 civic EX manual transmission problem

2 days ago, I noticed the transmission was a little sluggish going into forth; I had to pull on the thing harder than usual.

I started noticing more issues now, down shifting from 4th to 3rd requires one hell of a push (Yes, I'm pushing the clutch all the way down). When I move the stick to either side before directly putting it in gear, the transmission willingly goes into gear.

Anybody know what type of problem this is or how much it costs to fix?
Old 12-20-2007
Registered!!

topher1961 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2002 civic EX manual transmission problem

uber: I just got a call from my mechanic after experiencing similar problems. Check out carcomplaints.com and you'll see that there are similar complaints and that in some cases Honda has paid for the new transmission.
Old 02-12-2008
Registered!!

jhonathin is an unknown quantity at this point

i have the exact same problem with my 01 Civic LX. The problem started about 5 days ago. I can't shift smoothly from 1st to 2nd unless i quickly wiggle the stick shift in neutral and then slide into 2nd. Same thing happens if i'm stopped and try to shift from 2nd to 1st. I have an appointment at my local Honda dealer on Feb 14th. Hopefully it's an easy fix and not a problem with the transmission as a whole. There is no gear grinding or popping out of gear. The only noise i hear is some squeaking coming from the shifting console.
Old 02-12-2008
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light

Are you guys getting the fluid changed regularly? That makes the world of difference. It's a silly question for the most part, but I'm just making sure. .
Old 03-06-2008
Registered!!

ONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura aboutONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jhonathin
i have the exact same problem with my 01 Civic LX. The problem started about 5 days ago. I can't shift smoothly from 1st to 2nd unless i quickly wiggle the stick shift in neutral and then slide into 2nd. Same thing happens if i'm stopped and try to shift from 2nd to 1st. I have an appointment at my local Honda dealer on Feb 14th. Hopefully it's an easy fix and not a problem with the transmission as a whole. There is no gear grinding or popping out of gear. The only noise i hear is some squeaking coming from the shifting console.
This might have nothing to do with it but have you looked at the linkages inside the middle console? While the car is off clutch in while changing gears and then clutch out (and a small mix of both). Might be a linkage problem.
Old 03-29-2008
Registered!!

Tresphunk is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to bring this thread outta the dark, but I am experiencing the same issue. Did anyone ever figure it out?

I have an '01 Coupe LX. It doesn't seem to "pop" nicely into gear while shifting. I either have to wiggle it in neutral before shifting to another gear, or shift with great force. I recently purchased the vehicle used and had it thoroughly inspected by my mechanic before hand; everything appeared to be fine, so hopefully it's nothing serious, it's just kind of inconvenient.

Last edited by Tresphunk; 03-29-2008 at 11:38 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-30-2008
Registered!!

nosupra is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that there might be a recall for something like that
Old 03-30-2008
Registered!!

uber.spaced is an unknown quantity at this point

It was the shift lever assembly (Or so the shop says).

it has 2 different names in the manual, the second one escapes me at the moment

Got out of there spending slightly less than $300 bucks.

If you look at where the actual piece is located, it doesn't look like it's too much fun to get out of there; so I figured I'd have them replace it.

After they replaced it, the thing felt really good. Better than it had felt before I bought the car. It was a bit odd; I noticed that there was slightly less hesitation in between shifts.
Old 01-01-2009
Registered!!

chillen12422 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a similar problem... trouble shifting into 4th, had to wiggle the shifter or push really hard. Problem worsened and 3rd became difficult to shift into as well. Happened all of a sudden and didn't correct itself which had me pretty worried at first. Car is a 2002 civic ex 2DR, 106K miles, manual transmission of course.

Took the car to the Honda dealer (don't normally do this) thinking they would have come across the problem before andit would ultimately save me time and money. Problem was the shift cable which had rusted and wasnt moving smoothly the way it should. They accessed it through the hood (had to remove the air intake resonator) and center console for the other end. This is one of the cables (I think there are 2 total) that connect the shifter with the transmission, so somewhat inaccessible to replace. Total cost was $240 (which included $100 for the new cable at their rate).

Car shifts better than it did when it was new from what i remember, just like uber.spaced experienced. Almost feels as if the stick wants to move to the next gear on its own, with just a slight effort on my part which is really nice. But then again it's probably gotten worse over the past 106K miles so slowly I didn't notice, so hard to tell. Either way what a difference!

On a side note I've had a problem shifting into reverse ever since the car was new, the gear didn't always let me in on the first try... sometimes i'd have to wiggle the stick then push towards reverse a few times before it would engage. Kinda sucked when I was trying to do a quick k-turn with traffic coming my way. Yes I was completely stopped when putting car into reverse. Since the replacement of the shift cable this problem has gone away...

Last edited by chillen12422; 01-01-2009 at 08:08 PM.