Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

SRS Diagnostic Code 9-3

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
botmark is an unknown quantity at this point
SRS Diagnostic Code 9-3

SRS light is on. Paid the dealer $115 to diagnose it (probably 5 minutes work) and it came back with the diagnostic code 9-3 which means the driver's side seatbelt buckle is faulty. Price to replace it is over $300 plus tax. The part is $225 plus labour.

I know how to reset the light per instructions elsewhere in this forum but the light comes back on so the buckle really is faulty.

Anybody else ever have this problem and can recommend a lower cost solution?

2002 Civic.
Old 09-27-2007
Registered!!

mohakem is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: SRS Diagnostic Code 9-3

My light keeps coming on after i reset it. It used to stay off for a good month or so. Now it just comes right back on.

Any idea how the delaer read the code?
Old 09-27-2007
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I'm not sure if a standard OBDII reader will get SRS codes or not ??

If you get it read, post your results.

I have an 05 the light came on at 52k miles with a 7-2 "internal failure of SRS control unit" Estimate $1000
Old 09-26-2009
Registered!!

civic_goober is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CraigW

I have an 05 the light came on at 52k miles with a 7-2 "internal failure of SRS control unit" Estimate $1000
I have an OBDII reader and it doesn't read the SRS code on my 2001 Civic LX 4dr. Even my mechanic his reader can't. However he has a 2003 Civic and he can read the SRS codes from that. But I went to the dealer and they can read the SRS code.

Anyone else with a 2001 Civic have this reading issue?
Old 09-26-2009
Registered!!

seoul4korea can only hope to improve

the SRS light is a service engine soon light (it's kind of like a warning light), which is different from the standard Check engine light. That is why the standard OBDII readers can not read them.
Old 09-26-2009

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

SRS is the system for the airbags and seat belt pre-tensioners. It does a system check each time the car is started, an SRS light signals a problem detected in the system.
Old 09-26-2009
Registered!!

seoul4korea can only hope to improve

What He said
Old 09-29-2009
Registered!!

instalher is an unknown quantity at this point

the seat belt is no time warranty from the dealer as its a dangerous fault from honda.. but they will charge 100 bucks to put it in..
Old 09-30-2009
Registered!!

Staninator is an unknown quantity at this point

Honda won't replace my seatbelt for free. I called them and they are retarted. They only replace it with factory defects and stuff nothing that has to do with SRS unless your under the 3 year warranty. OBD scanners cannot read SRS lights because they only work on engine codes. You need a special honda computer to scan for the SRS code. You can get cheaper parts online though and just get it installed so you don't have to pay a lot for the parts.
Old 10-03-2009
Registered!!

tinnguyen123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by botmark
SRS light is on. Paid the dealer $115 to diagnose it (probably 5 minutes work) and it came back with the diagnostic code 9-3 which means the driver's side seatbelt buckle is faulty. Price to replace it is over $300 plus tax. The part is $225 plus labour.

I know how to reset the light per instructions elsewhere in this forum but the light comes back on so the buckle really is faulty.

2002 Civic.
holly crap!!! 115 just to diagnose it..!!! you coulda take it to some shop tell them you have some yellow light on "act dumb " ask them what is happening.. then they probably read it for you for free..

OR you can just buy a reader OBDII <== i think thats what you call it. which cost $55..

just google it around find a way to fix that buckle probably since you KNOW the code..

you should never take your car to dealers unless its a HUGEEEE problem even mechanic give up..
Old 02-27-2010
T2D
Registered!!

T2D is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an 03 civic, and the SRS is on to. When I reset it, it comes back on shortly after. I am thinking about buying an OBD ii reader. Any tips? There is one on sale at canadian tire for $59.99.
Old 02-27-2010

Maybe someone will correct me but... I don't think an OBDII will read SRS codes.
Old 02-27-2010
Registered!!

wallydude03 will become famous soon enough

a OBDII scanner off the shelf will not read SRS codes
Old 03-23-2010
Registered!!

bymitten is an unknown quantity at this point

Check this out. I have yet to try it myself but I figured it would help and sure save people some $$$ ...

http://www.vehix411.com/tag/abs-code/
Old 03-24-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tinnguyen123
holly crap!!! 115 just to diagnose it..!!! you coulda take it to some shop tell them you have some yellow light on "act dumb " ask them what is happening.. then they probably read it for you for free..

OR you can just buy a reader OBDII <== i think thats what you call it. which cost $55..

just google it around find a way to fix that buckle probably since you KNOW the code..

you should never take your car to dealers unless its a HUGEEEE problem even mechanic give up..
most readers does not read SRS codes, not even in most of the larger mechanic shops.
Only place i could find that reads SRS are the dealers. Went to several shops to ask and they did not have readers for SRS.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-24-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-24-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CraigW

a code 7-1 (Siemens unit internal failure) in a 02 EX cost slightly above 600 installed (don't ask why i know... One of the 3 units was toast - light was coming back faster each time i reset it...).
Unit had to be programmed after install too, which raised the cost. Unit itself was 470.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-24-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-21-2010
Registered!!

CivicRider is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=636707
for tutorial how to retrieve SRS code. I tried it and it works on mine 2001 Civic Lx. My problem was 9-3 i.e. faulty driver side seat belt buckle. I have an appointment with Honda on next Monday. Lets see what do they say. On phone however they said that if buckle is faulty it is covered by Honda's life time seat belt warrenty. Lets See.
Old 08-22-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

old post
Old 07-25-2011
Registered!!

Bremaria is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: SRS Diagnostic Code 9-3

Caution if you try to diagnose the SRS error by sticking wires or paper clips into the OBD2 connector! If you connect the wrong pins it can cause problems. Ask me how I know this... I'm assuming you asked, so here's how I know:

After I successfully diagnosed my car with a 9-3 code, I thought I was an expert: using a paperclip to diagnose a car instead of paying the dealer $100+... man would MacGyver be proud. With my newly inflated ego, I pestered a friend to let me "help" him diagnose his SRS code. I plugged the paperclip into the wrong sockets! The paperclip got hot and I pulled it back out. I connected battery power to the signal ground. The car wouldn't start. Luckily, I only blew the ACG (S) 15Amp fuse. I don't know what ACG (S) stands for, but I was lucky I didn't blow the computer. I was really sweating out my dumb mistake until I found the blown fuse.

The pinout diagram for the OBD connector is symmetrical and could be interpreted the wrong way (by me at least). Ask yourself: are you looking at it WRT the wire side or the side where the OBD2 scanner plugs in?

After finding and fixing the blown fuse (2 days later) I was too scared to diagnose my friend's car. He said he was still going to do it. I am officially retiring my paperclip.
Old 05-20-2014
Registered!!

gqbindc is an unknown quantity at this point

Took my 2003 to the dealer with the 9-3 airbag code today. The service writer indicated that the belt buckle is replaced for free under warranty if, and only if, the dealer finds it can't get the buckle to engage properly. I don't know why, but a faulty electrical circuit alone (which is what I think causes the airbag light) is not enough to trigger the warranty according to Ed Morse Honda.

Fortunately, my driver's side belt buckle is very difficult to engage and the dealer agreed to replace it under warranty. The part alone would have been over $200 if I had to pay for it myself. I noticed, though, that there's a you tube video here
on how to fix the belt switch and reset the airbag light.
Old 06-25-2014
Registered!!

PartyFavor123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I created a profile just to inform you fellow civic drivers of how to diagnose this issue and potentially resolve it. After doing the research, I ended up saving $100 on the diagnostic fee. I rather Honda not receive that money because dealerships are banking off of this common issue.

It will be your responsibility to ensure accuracy of this information. You assume all liability.

I had the same issue on my EP3 2005 Honda Civic. The SRS light would stay on and not turn off. This prevented me from getting my inspection sticker.

Mainly after watching this video, I learned how to do it:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...69620078,d.aWw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv0KNcoGE-E

DIAGNOSE:
1. Locate the diagnostic connector under your steering wheel. Usually, this is located closer to the center of the car.
2. Insert the paper clip in PIN #1 (from the top right) and PIN 4 (from the bottom right)
3. Insert Key and turn two clicks (not turning on the car)
4. Observe the SRS light. It will turn off. Once it turns back on, count how many times it blinks. It should give you a one set of 1-second blinks and one set of fast blinks. Example: If it gives you 9 each of 1-second blinks, and then 3 fast blinks, then you have a CODE 9-3.

A Code 9-3 can mean that your seat belt buckle sensor is faulty. Before attempting to fix it yourself, call Honda and see if it's covered by warranty. Seat belts should be covered for free under warranty. However, I read that electrical harnesses are not covered and if they blame the electrical harness then you could end up paying $250-300 (for diagnostic fee and replacement).

Alternatively, you could clean the sensor using contact cleaner. This may void the warranty though, if you have one.

SEARCH TAGS:
Honda Civic Accord SRS light on air bag light seat belt buckle 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005

Resetting the SRS light is easy. there are a lot of youtube videos and post on this already so I won't need to explain. Good luck
Old 10-22-2016
mhg
Registered!!

mhg is an unknown quantity at this point

old thread, but new car for my daughter. so I clear the air bag light. a day or two later it is back. paper clip method gives me a 9-3 code. question... if the actual seatbelt light comes on and off with the seatbelt how is the switch bad?
Old 10-22-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mhg
old thread, but new car for my daughter. so I clear the air bag light. a day or two later it is back. paper clip method gives me a 9-3 code. question... if the actual seatbelt light comes on and off with the seatbelt how is the switch bad?
The buckle switch (SPDT type microswitch) has two sets of contacts.
3 wires.

The seat belt light operates using one of those two sets of contacts.

The SRS control unit uses both sets of contacts. If one set of contacts fails to work correctly, you get the warning light and corresponding fault code.

HTH
Old 10-31-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by botmark

2002 Civic.

Two years ago I had the same problem the dealer replaced the buckle for free.
Old 08-21-2019
Registered!!

julialm is an unknown quantity at this point

I know that this is an old post, but since I was reading it for guidance in 2019, figured I'd chime in - it's my understanding that for vehicles that old, Honda still offers a lifetime warranty on anything relating to the seatbelts. I just called the dealership and they confirmed that, for my 2005 Honda Civic, if this code (SRS 9-3) really indicates a seatbelt problem, they will fix it free of charge.

Also, this YouTube video offered great instructions on how to read this code without a code-reader, worked great for me