Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Miles after the Gas Light?

Old 07-25-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
claddagh is an unknown quantity at this point
Miles after the Gas Light?

I just bought a 2005 Honda Civic LX sedan...does anybody know how many miles you can drive between the time the gas light comes on and when you run out of gas?
Old 07-25-2007
Registered!!

01EXGUY will become famous soon enough
Re: Miles after the Gas Light?

i dont know for sure but i do know on my 01 ex ive driven about 30 miles like that. i dont know how much further i could have went though
Old 07-26-2007
Registered!!

Luey is an unknown quantity at this point

It has the same size tank as my 2007 EX (13.2 gal). My light comes on with about 3 gallons left (ie. when I fill up right after the light comes on, it takes between 10 and 10.5 gallons to fill). That would mean, given my mileage, I have as few as say ~70 miles to as many as ~120+ miles range left, depending on whether it was pure city driving or pure highway cruising.
Old 07-26-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

eh dont risk it.. there are times where i have gone 80miles on the light, and there are times when i have only gone like 20miles. Theres no definates because theres too many variables affecting whether or not the light comes on.
Old 07-26-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute

my g/f does this too, drives her forester for like 4 days after the light comes on. i never understood why it's so hard for people to just fill up when it hits like 1/4 or so. i'd fill up as soon as the light comes on, at the latest.
Old 07-26-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

^^ what about if your gas light comes on at half a tank... yea one day i parked on a hill, and i was on the gas light like all day with a half a tank... stupid crapped up 7thgen fuel sensors... they never give an accurate reading after u have used more than 2 gallons lol
Old 07-26-2007
Pwning Noobs 24/7

DaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really nice

its about 80 miles when the gas light comes on
Old 07-26-2007
Registered!!

mrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Luey
It has the same size tank as my 2007 EX (13.2 gal). My light comes on with about 3 gallons left (ie. when I fill up right after the light comes on, it takes between 10 and 10.5 gallons to fill). That would mean, given my mileage, I have as few as say ~70 miles to as many as ~120+ miles range left, depending on whether it was pure city driving or pure highway cruising.
same goes for me, i've pushed 90 miles with the gas light on. Got a little scared though so i filled up haha
Old 07-26-2007
Registered!!

Luey is an unknown quantity at this point

I've only really pushed it on the highway a couple of times, knowing there was much cheaper gas to be had if I could just get somewhere well off the interstate. But generally I fill up by the time I've got about 1/4 tank left - I don't like letting it get real low since the fuel pump does get cooled by the fuel it's sitting in.
Old 07-30-2007
Registered!!

01EXGUY will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LT2004ever
^^ what about if your gas light comes on at half a tank... yea one day i parked on a hill, and i was on the gas light like all day with a half a tank... stupid crapped up 7thgen fuel sensors... they never give an accurate reading after u have used more than 2 gallons lol

ha ha i know the feeling, ive actually had the gas light come on in my car and the needle be on empty. then i will park it for a while and come back and start it up and the needle will be on 1/4 of a tank and the light will stay off for about another day or two. i always try to fill it back up when it gets between half and a quarter so there wont be any doubts
Old 08-01-2007
Registered!!

claddagh is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks everybody, that helps. i've always driven SUVs and drive from one end of the state to the other all the time...getting stuck on a mountain pass when the gas light comes on doesn't leave a lot of options to fill up. now i wont be so frantic!
Old 08-07-2007
Registered!!

SepulturaCivic has a spectacular aura aboutSepulturaCivic has a spectacular aura aboutSepulturaCivic has a spectacular aura about

Sometimes my light will go on, stay on for a while, then ill start the car the next morning and it will be off and say i have a couple lines above E of gas left. Odd eh???
I went about 45-50 miles once when the light went on, 2002 lx sedan, and i shut the car off, then went to get somethin, came back out, and it wouldnt start, i had to walk and hitchhike to get some gas and come back, so i wouldnt risk it lol. I never go over 30 now.
Old 08-07-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

my guess is 60 - 80 miles before you run dry
Old 02-12-2017
Registered!!

Lisa Marie is an unknown quantity at this point

well unfortunately I have a very very accurate answer well give or take me to buy I was in my 2001 Honda Civic EX before I stop because you know nobody likes to get out yet gas in the cold weather I have never run out of gas in this car before but from the time that I notice to my gas line on like I said never take a mile or two I push it to the Limit and went 42.3 miles before I run out of gas thank goodness I was already at my destination pulling in the driveway when I did run out of gas
Old 02-14-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Ask Cosmo Kramer: