Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Dash, panel, speedometer LIGHT not working.

Old 10-20-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
djdust12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Dash, panel, speedometer LIGHT not working.

Hello,

I just bought a 2003 honda civic dx coupe, and for some reason none of the interior lights work. The headlights and dome light work fine but none of the dash/speedometer lights turn on. Whoever had it before me put in an alarm system and had quite a stereo system, which isn't playing through the speakers either - urgh. PLEASE HELP ME IN ANY WAY
Thank you for your time!

-Dust
Old 10-20-2006
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Check the "small lights" fuse in the under hood box and hope that the dimmer control is not damaged.
Old 10-20-2006
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light
Likely a blown fuse but also possibly a bad headlight switch or relay

Start here:
Underhood fuse/relay box on passenger side of engine compartment near the strut tower
Fuse 2 (15A) - 12V all the time
I have a diagram of the fuse box layout I can e-mail if you like, just PM me or whatever
Old 10-20-2006
Registered!!

I'll check the fuses in the morning when it's light out. The dealership I bought it from said the fuses looked good - I'm wondering, is there a wire that would've gone from the dash to the stereo that was unhooked and never re-wired or something?
This is very upsetting for my first civic, no lights on the dash and a stereo that won't play music through the speakers urgh! Thanks for your time all

~Semper Fi
Old 10-20-2006
I need a drop
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

thefever is a jewel in the roughthefever is a jewel in the roughthefever is a jewel in the rough
thats what happened to mine, ended up being a fuse, dont remember which one though.
Old 10-21-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
worst case, you find some cheap dash modules on ebay and swap them in. same with cluster. and stereo you can just rewire everything.
Old 10-21-2006
Registered!!

OK, I checked under the hood with an ohm-meter and all the fuses were good to go. I really don't want to go to honda because I'm sure it's something easy and they'll charge a lot.
As for the cd player (pioneer deh-p6400), it powered on when I got the car, but after I took the center console out, then put it back in, it no longer powers. I checked the power and ground with the volt meter, fine, and the ignition wire, fine - why do I have such bad luck!?
Old 10-21-2006
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light
If you have 12V, accessory, and ground at the deck the next step would be to remove it and bench test it. Double check the fuse on the back of the unit.

Your dash lights may be more difficult. If both of the fuses are ok (you removed them when you tested continuity, right??) the next step is to do some testing at the cluster itself. I'm wondering one thing though, don't take this the wrong way but is the dimmer switch turned all the way down?

I'll get you a diagram for the circuit at work tomorrow so you can test at the cluster itself.
Old 10-21-2006
Registered!!

Haha, no the dimmer switch isn't all the way down, but I wish it was that simple (although, could there be a short or unconnected wire behind the dimmer?). And yes I took the fuses out when I tested them. Testing the cluster, I know that I'm a "newb", but what do I need to take out and how? You'd think a 4 yr. mechanical engineering degree would've helped me when it comes to this stuff - ha.
On the deck, to test it can I just clip wires onto the pins directly, obviously just the 12v, ground, and I'm assuming I can attach the ignition also to the 12v. Would there be any type of reset button somewhere on the deck?
I'm leaving at 5 tomorrow morning for Pensacola until wednesday, so when I get back, I'll go through whatever new help is on here
Thanks Again!
Old 10-21-2006
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light
u think u got it bad. i've been trying to get my criuse control working for 3 weeks and nothing works. i'm real close to caving and getting a new actuator for $160
Old 10-22-2006
Registered!!

djdust12 - Sorry about the questions, I have had to deal with some guys who shouldn't be using a meter let alone troubleshooting with one. Many times I've explained why you can't test a fuse for continuity while it's in the circuit so I tend to assume the problem is more from a testing side sometimes. If the fuses check out the next step would be actually removing the cluster and using the diagram I sent ya to test for 12V, accessory, illumination with the headlight switch turned on, etc. I know plenty of ME guys so I'm sure you can follow a circuit diagram like this one, it's not too tricky at all. Just keep testing until you don't find a voltage where it says you should. I would start with the two 22-pin harnesses,
A16 - ground
A17 - 12V - with key in run or start
A18 - constant - 12V
B10 - constant - 12V
B12 - green/yellow - right turn signal - ground when blinking
B13 - green/red - left turn signal - ground when blinking
B16 - red/black - 12V when parking or head lights on
B18 - black - ground

There's other stuff but I can't read the wire diagrams anymore. Need to sleep. If everything checks out it might be time to look at a cluster or module swap like gearbox suggested.

DieMaster - Cruise control isn't really my thing I'm more of an aftermarket electronics guy so you'll have to bear with me as I throw some guesses at this thing but I might be able to get you something useful. I'll look and let you know.

Last edited by christmaspie; 10-22-2006 at 03:00 AM.
Old 10-26-2006
Registered!!

Ok, thanks for the new info. Because I'm 4 days behind and I have the 8 hour fundamentals of engineering exam this weekend, I won't be able to test out much. However, when I do, standby for more questions lol.

-Dust
Old 10-27-2006
Registered!!

mitsuman47 is an unknown quantity at this point
christmaspie,

can you send me that diagram, please? I actually have the same problem. I've tested up to the connector that plugs into the board, but stopped there since I didn't really know what I was looking at. haha. Thanks

mitsuman57@yahoo.com
Old 10-27-2006
Registered!!

Mitsuman47, I just emailed you the same diagrams he sent me - hope they're what you wanted.

-Dustin
Old 10-27-2006
Registered!!

Question, when you say 'remove the cluster', you're talking about the speedometer cluster right? And how exactly do I do that? The only thing I know how to remove is the radio cluster by prying it out. Hope you can help!

-Dustin
Old 11-07-2006
Registered!!

Ok, figured it out, the circuit is fried - don't have any idea how that could've happened though.

As for the stereo, Does anybody know where I could find a diagram that shows what different colored and striped wires are for the stereo? (ex. purple with white stripe is left rear +) etc.
Old 11-07-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
sedn me a pm, i'll check the electrical service book later tonight
Old 11-04-2013
Registered!!

mendozad80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Dash, panel, speedometer LIGHT not working.

Originally Posted by christmaspie
djdust12 - Sorry about the questions, I have had to deal with some guys who shouldn't be using a meter let alone troubleshooting with one. Many times I've explained why you can't test a fuse for continuity while it's in the circuit so I tend to assume the problem is more from a testing side sometimes. If the fuses check out the next step would be actually removing the cluster and using the diagram I sent ya to test for 12V, accessory, illumination with the headlight switch turned on, etc. I know plenty of ME guys so I'm sure you can follow a circuit diagram like this one, it's not too tricky at all. Just keep testing until you don't find a voltage where it says you should. I would start with the two 22-pin harnesses,
A16 - ground
A17 - 12V - with key in run or start
A18 - constant - 12V
B10 - constant - 12V
B12 - green/yellow - right turn signal - ground when blinking
B13 - green/red - left turn signal - ground when blinking
B16 - red/black - 12V when parking or head lights on
B18 - black - ground

There's other stuff but I can't read the wire diagrams anymore. Need to sleep. If everything checks out it might be time to look at a cluster or module swap like gearbox suggested.

DieMaster - Cruise control isn't really my thing I'm more of an aftermarket electronics guy so you'll have to bear with me as I throw some guesses at this thing but I might be able to get you something useful. I'll look and let you know.
Christmaspie: i have a similar problem and i was hoping you could help me out. I have a 2003 honda civic, it's all stock, even the stereo is stock. the problem I have is that my gauges won't work, they won't light up when i turn on my hazardous lights or headlights. The lights for the AC/Fan/ Stereo, etc won't work either. i checked under the hood and under the steering wheel for bad fuses and all fuses are oK. i don't know if i have a faulty cluster, but then again none of my other dash lights work. any suggestions? your help is greatly appreciated.

Daniel
Old 10-20-2022
Registered!!

Koloqua is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Guys, please I need an assistance.

My Honda Civic 2006, just started a strange fault the Speedometer and second dashboard won't light up, I have changed all the fuses and still nothing.

It's confusing and making me worried, please guys assist
Old 10-20-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

yours is a 8th gen car, this thread is for 7th gen cars
The following users liked this post:
BrotatoChip (10-21-2022)