Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oil pan gasket change

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
valenzuela should not be trustedvalenzuela should not be trustedvalenzuela should not be trusted
Question Oil pan gasket change

anybody have nay tips or thing to speed the process up this would be my first oil pan gasket fix?
Old 09-25-2006
Go Team Venture!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
is yours leaking or did the dealership tell you it needed to be done...
Old 09-25-2006
Premium Member

XSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really nice
jackstands or ramps help.. long extension for the 10 mm socket on the pan. follow the proper bolting sequence as not to warp the pan.
Old 09-25-2006
i have a new home do u

v8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of light
i just did this for the second time fri. just put a small bead of honda bond on the oil pan after you make shure both matting surfaces are clean and bolt it donw and you wont have any leaks. i never used a specific pattern or torque setting.
Old 09-26-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
what model do you have?

The ex uses a liquid gasket to seal the pan. the lx and dx use a pan gasket.

You also need to drop down the downpipe as it covers the exhaust. just unbolt it from the header and move it aside. you also need to remove the trans covers as they cover the oil pan bolts.
Old 06-02-2011
Registered!!

GSmith215 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Oil pan gasket change

I'm about to change my pan gasket this weekend since I'm losing 2 quarts every 20 miles out of it (I did my timing belt this past weekend and supported the motor with a jackstand and wood under the pan while I did it and now it leaks insanely. Since it's the original gasket (218,000 miles on an '03 Civic LX 1.7litre), I just want to make sure that Auto Zone sold me the right gasket. The package says it's for the 1.6 litre motor, but then again my new front main seal from them says it's for the 1.8 litre motor on the box and it fit perfectly.

So, just confirming the LX/DX 1.7 motor uses a gasket.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by streetglower
what model do you have?

The ex uses a liquid gasket to seal the pan. the lx and dx use a pan gasket.

You also need to drop down the downpipe as it covers the exhaust. just unbolt it from the header and move it aside. you also need to remove the trans covers as they cover the oil pan bolts.
Old 06-03-2011
Registered!!

GSmith215 is an unknown quantity at this point

IMPORTANT I just did this on a 2003 Civic LX with an auto trans. You will need to unbolt the shift linkage from the transmission in order to remove the Flywheel Cover which holds in the oil pan on the rear (passenger) side of the motor. I was afraid to remove the linkage, but I had no choice. So far, everything seems fine. We need a DIY on this, though.
Old 08-22-2011
Registered!!

thisguy is an unknown quantity at this point

difficulty of removing the trans cover to replace the pan gasket on 02 lx? Location of the trans cover bolts? (how many also) any other tips
Old 08-24-2011
Registered!!

really dont wanna bump an old thread...but anyone gotta any tips? or can answer above questions?

thanks
Old 01-24-2012
Registered!!

anything helps...
Old 01-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by thisguy
anything helps...
Still haven't done it? Yes, yours should use a gasket, the EXs don't. The shift linkage is no big deal. Loosen bolts, remove, then remove the convertor cover. I jacked mine up to tie the engine up while I had my trans out to rebuld it. If you jacked up the pan gasket this way and you had an EX I would have serious quams about why you did your own timing belt anyway... It is no big deal. But in reference to one of the previous posts, the tourqe is not only to "stretch" the bolts enough that they effectively lock themselves in. It is also to keep you from breaking them off, they are m6 bolts, they don't take very much tourqe to do that to...
Old 01-27-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by johndeerebones
Still haven't done it? Yes, yours should use a gasket, the EXs don't. The shift linkage is no big deal. Loosen bolts, remove, then remove the convertor cover. I jacked mine up to tie the engine up while I had my trans out to rebuld it. If you jacked up the pan gasket this way and you had an EX I would have serious quams about why you did your own timing belt anyway... It is no big deal. But in reference to one of the previous posts, the tourqe is not only to "stretch" the bolts enough that they effectively lock themselves in. It is also to keep you from breaking them off, they are m6 bolts, they don't take very much tourqe to do that to...
nah it was done while i was outta state by a friend of my roommates (oil pan gasket) i did the timing belt, and almost everything else bar the input shaft bearing. my car is an lx, and my friend used a felpro gasket and what looks like a generous application of rtv between the gasket and the block...im thinkin this gasket never sealed properly.

so there are 4 bolts on the flywheel/trans cover? i drive 02 lx MT.

do i need to move the linkage also? even since it's not AT?