Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Humming noise , sounds like im in an airplane

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marcuse will become famous soon enough
Humming noise , sounds like im in an airplane

alright i still to this day cant figure it out. whenever i go above 25 i hear a wham wham wham whamm wahm , humming noise that sounds like a propellar moving. its slow at slow speeds and faster at fast speeds. i thought it was the tires because i had 3 good years and a firestone. i took it to discount tire and they told me i needed two new tires. they gave me warrior tires on the back and a goodyear on the front left and a firestone on the front right. now i still hear it and it sounds like its on the back of the car.. this is very annoying and i cannot figure it out. i had my tires rotated and balanced and its still the same..
Old 08-18-2006
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
If the noise went form the front of the car to the rear of the car, then I'd say that when they rotated the tires, they put the bad tire from the front to the rear not knowing it was bad.
Old 08-18-2006
SAi
Registered!!

SAi is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation

at lease the front 2 tires should be the same, otherwise not safe. my 2 cents
Old 06-30-2010
Registered!!

dailydriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Humming noise , sounds like im in an airplane

My 2004 civic LX has been making this noise as well!

I also thought it was the tires but my Honda dealer tires for life policy recently replaced all four tires with the stock Bridgestone Potenzas and the noise has not gone away.

Did you ever figure out what it was?

I have 119k miles and no body damage and I only noticed the noise a few months ago. I have a road debris crack in my front bumper around the wheel well. I taped up the crack and the noise hasn't changed. It is exactly as the first poster described.

A wallowing, circular propeller-sounding noise that gets louder as I accelerate and holds constant with the speed.

Could this be a problem with something under my front end? I had my brakes done and Pep Boys recommended me getting new tie rod ends. I haven't noticed any steering problems though, so I just figured they were trying to sell me something!

Any advice/tips to check things out are appreciated!

Last edited by dailydriver; 06-30-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-17-2010
Registered!!

pr1madona is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds to me like it could be a wheel bearing. I am also having the same thing. Started off with my tire feeling/sounding like it was going flat. Took it to the tire place and they said the tires just needed balanced. I told them I thought the front driver tire was separating from the tread inside the tire. They assured me it only needed balance. Well now it sounds like an airplane taking off. Gets worse over 40mph. I already had the wheel bearing replaced on the right side, which is where the noise seems to be coming from. The car also isn't driving as smooth and feels off.
Old 07-17-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

either wheel bearing or crappy tires. the ones i have now seriously make so much noise i have to wear earplugs on longer trips because it sounds just like being in an airplane. some tires also have terrible resonating effects depending on the speed you are going. if the noise changes depending on the speed (55 vs 65 vs 75) its definately a tire issue. make sure you look at noise ratings when buying new tires. they are vastly different.

Last edited by gearbox; 07-17-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-29-2012
Registered!!

MiL0428 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had the same noise in my 1999 Civic for about 6 months now. I have had every bearing changed, rotors and brakes, and even upgraded my clutch. I thought that the humming was my bearing until I actually took a look up and under my car for myself. 4 guys had worked on the car and did not catch the broken seal on my CV axle shaft on my drivers side. It was throwing grease all the way up on my alternator. So I pumped it full of grease and it fixed the humming until the grease was threw out again. Long story short, your problem may be the knuckle joint in your CV shaft, the humming could be coming from the knuckles grinding on each other. Try pumping the boot full of grease with a grease needle and see if it helps.
Old 08-14-2012
Registered!!

Jayd53 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2002 civic ex have replaces the break drum bearing moved the tires around which are new and he humming is still there, and its only on the rear driver side?
Old 02-19-2015
Registered!!

darkestyet is an unknown quantity at this point

THANKYOU!
My "light plane" started with the tail end of 50 mile highway trips and has progressed to shorter runs. Thought I was going nuts. Still think I am but at least I can escape the loony bin in my beloved 2001! Will check the tires, cv. etc. myself before being robbed by someone. I do most of my own work, but its freaking freezing here! Plus my car and I are getting old.
200+ and going strong (me not the car)