Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 Civic Automatic Transmission Problems HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01lude is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Civic Automatic Transmission Problems HELP!

Hi, got a 2002 Civic EX with an automatic transmission and here is the deal. When the engine is cold I get a little slip from 2nd to 3rd gear. After the car is warmed up and has been running for a little while it is fine. I had the trans oil changed at the dealership and they said that it is fine. Thats crap because transmission are not supposed to slip into gear! Are there any technical service bullitens that I should be aware of or that the dealer is not telling me about or in your opinion what do you think it is? Thanks for you help!
Old 06-14-2006
Sam18

Does anyone know if it could be the oil type causing this?
Old 06-14-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
hey mine has the exact same problem. Usually the trans can last upto 2 more years but you never know. Oil can affect the tranny, but I've always used oem in mine. slipping is not okay and is caused by the clutch pack carrier. its a defect due to the piece being too thin. eventually it will break apart and clog the pump, then you will hear a whining sound just before the trans dies completely. so yea in short, its on its way to tranny heaven.
Old 06-14-2006
Registered!!

I took it to the dealer and they did it so I doubt if it was the oil. It was doing it before I had the oil changed anyway.
Old 06-14-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
ya it will only get worse. i still have a year of warranty but they said it isnt broken so not covered. when it breaks, you should call american honda and complain, they should pay for some of the bill because they know the tranny is junk.
Old 06-14-2006
Registered!!

So if it is a defect, does honda have any documentaition or a technical service bulliten? Anything that I can use to reference the problem? Or am I just S.O.L. and have to cover the problem myself?
Old 06-14-2006
Premium Member

nope, but they do know of the problem. if you call and complain and know the problem, they will pay for part of the repair. I've seen it happen. They wanna keep quiet because a recall would be very expensive for them rather than case by case. but fyi, most 01-02 tranny wont last past 100k miles with this problem.
Old 06-15-2006
Registered!!

Rocknpro 00EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Gearbox: What about my 2000 EX, could my lag be tranny? 87k miles. Rocknpro
Old 06-15-2006
Premium Member

haven't heard too many trans problems with the older vics. lag is prolly dirty parts like air system/tb/iac, maybe dirty engine too. pull off the throttle body and clean it off, check the iac valve, then throw in some lubecontrol.com stuff for gas and oil.
Old 06-15-2006
Registered!!

so your for sure that this is the problem? any other things that I should know about this trans?
Old 06-15-2006
Premium Member

yea its a defective clutch pack carrier. most mechanics already know bout new civic and the trans issues. also the trans has an internal filter and very poor cooling. also known problems. it also makes a huge clunk sound if you slow down to 15mph and then give it gas when it shifts into gear.
Old 06-15-2006
Registered!!

I don't have an extended warranty, but if I bring up the fact to the dealer and say hey you just changed my tranny fluid and sent me on my way with a slipping transmission rather then saying yeah we think its something else and want to tear it down do you think that honda would be more prone to pick up part of the tab? If not how much would this repair cost?
Old 06-15-2006
Premium Member

use everything you can. technically the dealer should have offered to replace the tranny, even if you pay the bill. tell american honda about it, and that the dealer is stupid and lacks knowledge about an obvious problem. goto repair shops and ask around. tell them about clutch pack failure. its a defect, not caused by neglect or driving abuse.
Old 06-15-2006
Registered!!

Just got off the phone to the dealer and he said that he recalls that there was a recall on some 2000-2001 and that by the time that the 2002's come out that Honda had taken care of the situation and that they just didnt replace the part but rather the whole transmission. This is CRAP! I shouldnt have to pay for a defective trans. if this is what the problem is. Looks like I am going to be in for a LONG LONG battle with Honda.
Old 06-15-2006
Premium Member

i have an 02 with 50k and it slips so thats not true lol.
Old 06-15-2006
Registered!!

65Coronet440 is an unknown quantity at this point
My '02 started doing that slipping stuff around 100,000. At 135,000 or so it starting whining when cold so I traded it in on a Town and County for the wife. Now I'm driving a '92 Accord with 185K so far and going strong.
Old 06-15-2006
Premium Member

ya once it whines, you're walking on thin ice.
Old 06-15-2006
Registered!!

What is the number to get ahold of Honda of America so I can make a claim? And if I do make a claim will they try to give me the run around or will they be like oh yeah we know about the problem and want to help me. Hey gear have you called Honda and if so what have they done for you?
Old 06-15-2006
Premium Member

pm shroomster for the number, i lost it. i called them once after the dealer here nearly destroyed my car after replacing the head gasket. the ground wire was dangling in the fans, spark plugs all loose (one was overtight), the oil was way at the bottom, grease everywhere, dented fender, so basically let me drive home with a car that could've blown the engine or cause an accident. i filed a complaint, saying the service manager called me a liar and said i made up everything, its all true btw. all they did was give me a free oil change coupon. but i mean they cant really do much regarding general complaint since dealers are independent, not corporate. so convince american honda to pay some of the bill just keep talking of the problem, say honda sucks i would never buy one and tell all my friends, make it sound like you're pissed at how bad the car is, say everyone knows about the problem, etc, and finally see if they offer to pay, otherwise tell them they need to help you out here.
Old 06-16-2006
Registered!!

I called Honda of America today and told them of the problem and they said that they have no record of any such thing no TSB's nothing. I went to nhtsa and they have 11 including one that sumarizes the bulletin and says " subject regarding automatic transmission shift problems-slippage, flare, hard upshift. *TT." nhtsa says that if I call the dealership and and give them the item number off the website that they would be able to cross refference it. Of course when I called the dealer they could do no such thing, nothing on 2002 transmissions whatsoever. So I ordered all the TSB's from nhtsa regarding what I think could be wrong with the trans and when I get it I'm gonna shove it in their face and be like ok now fix it.
Old 06-16-2006
Premium Member

they are lying. you gotta be assertive about it, they do know everything, they just dont wanna help you out.
Old 06-16-2006
Registered!!

If I brought the nhtsa issued up to them and proved ducumentation do you think that they would help out then because then they would pretty much be caught between a rock and a hard place.
Old 06-16-2006
Premium Member

yea im sure they would do something to avoid a lawsuit
Old 06-20-2006
Registered!!

draganjr is an unknown quantity at this point
Let us know about any updates, I have an '02 with AT Trans.
Old 06-21-2006
Registered!!

sham01ski is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a dead 01 ex auto trans... any input for when i call and fight honda is appreciated... also did anyone else get the number? or should I pm the other member mentioned earlier in the post... thanks for your input. I got a quote from aamco for 1541...
thanks in advance
Old 06-21-2006
Premium Member

well its a defective clutch pack carrier that is made too thin. factory defect that everyone knows about. first it slips, then the trans breaks apart.
Old 06-22-2006
Registered!!

GNX423 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just yanked apart an 01 auto tranny the otherday. The filter screen was completely clogged, this caused the line pressure to drop and clutches to slip, putting more material into the fliuid.
anyway 2nd and 4th were burned up bad.
Old 06-22-2006
2k1civic.com O. G.

AzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enoughAzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enough
Yup i know of this high pitched wine in person. My trannys been slipping for atleast a year or two. i have a 2k1 civic ex coupe AUTO.

That faithfull morning 2 weeks or so ago, i turned on my car and heard the wining noise. Thought it was strange. The car drove but shifted funny. Drove all the way to work, Then when it was time to go home. BAMM!! none of the gears work.

The engine runs but the high pitched wine is loud and clear.
Old 06-23-2006
Registered!!

Took the car to the dealership last night so it could sit so they could drive it this morning so they could see that the trans was slipping. Sure enough it did exactly what I told them that it would do. They told me to call Honda of America myself and open up a case which I did. I wanted the dealer to call to give me some backing like yeah he brings the car in regularly for service but the dealer said that was not protocall and that is something that I would do myself. Pretty shitty if you ask me. I need all the help that I can get here. So I called got a case number and was told that it would take 2-3 business days for the regional manager in Torrance, CA. to get back with me. No doubt that the trans is on its way out and with only 65,000 miles there is no way in hell that the trans should be going. The dealer wants $3,635 out the door to fix it. Any suggestions on what to say to this regional dude when he calls me back? I will deff. bring up the defective clutch pack carrier to him but I just got the feeling that Im going to be dumping $3,600 into the trans. This is not right!

BTW the number for Honda is 1-800-999-1009 and don't bitch at that dude. Make your case and bitch at the regional rep. and tell him that everyone and their brother is having this problem and that they need to recall all the transmission or at least cover it on a case by case basis. I got a feeling that they are gonna have more and more cases seeing as how now most 01-02's are coming of age and milage to where the transmissions are gonna start to go becasue of the defective part.

Last edited by 01lude; 06-23-2006 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-23-2006
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
it will get worse.. you can try draining the fluid and putting in snycromesh or red line atf fluid for a start

Quick Reply: 2002 Civic Automatic Transmission Problems HELP!