DIY: Diagnose manual Tranny Noises (and save some $$$)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006
DONT PANIC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
DIY: Diagnose manual Tranny Noises (and save some $$$)

If you hear an odd noise coming from your 5-speed transmission, this post is for you.

There are 2 common things that happen to the 5 speed transmissions in our generation Honda.

The first of which is somewhat common. This is the throwout bearing.

This is how to diagnose it.....
-Start your car.
-Roll up the windows, turn the radio off, and turn the blower motor for the AC/heater off.
-put the car into neutral, and press in the clutch
---- if you hear the noise now, it is the THROWOUT BEARING. If you release the clutch, the noise should go away

The reason it makes the noise like this is because when you have your foot off the clutch, the throwout bearing is not spinning, and it has no force on it. But when you push the clutch in, the throwout bearing forces the fingers on the pressure plate in, causing the clutch to release. The bearing is spinning however fast the motor is turning at this time. So if the bearing is bad, it will make noise.

This is a rather simple fix for a shop to do. They have to take the transmission out, and replace the throwout bearing, the replace the tranny. It is basically the same work as replacing a clutch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, the second (and seems to be more common) problem is the input shaft bearing.

This is how to diagnose it.....
-Start your car.
-Roll up the windows, turn the radio off, and turn the blower motor for the AC/heater off.
-put the car into neutral, and take your foot off the clutch pedal
---- if you hear the noise now, it is the INPUT SHAFT BEARING. if you press in the clutch, the noise should go away.

The reason for this is because when you have the clutch engaged (foot off the pedal) the motor is spinning the input shaft on the transmission (even when in neutral). The bearing has a plastic cage inside of it that holds the small ball-bearings equidistant apart. This plastic cage can be broken by even a completely stock car, if it is driven hard (shifting hard, running sticky tires, etc). When this plastic cage breaks, the ball bearings load up one side of the bearing. This allows the input shaft to walk side to side slightly, which causes the gears to not mesh up right. This causes a whining and growling sound. But when you press in the clutch, the input shaft stops spinning, so the noise goes away.

The way to fix this is a lot more difficult. You have to completely remove the transmission from the car. Then you take the shifter assembly out of the tranny, remove the speed sensor. Then you have the split the case apart. Next you have to remove the differential and the Spider gears. Now you will have access to the bearing. The bearing is $23 from your local honda dealership. Once you install it, put the tranny back together and slap it in the car.

I hope this helps you guys out. A LOT OF SHOPS MIS-DIAGNOSE THE INPUT SHAFT BEARING FOR A THROWOUT BEARING!! This means that you pay for them to replace the throwout bearing, then when you drive it home and its making the same noise, you take it back and pay them to fix the input shaft bearing.

I am trying to help save you guys some hard earned money with this. Diagnose this yourself. Print out this guide, and take it into your tranny shop. Let them diagnose it with the help of this guide. And hopefully you will save some cash in the end AND look like you know what your doing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	input shaft bearing.JPG
Views:	100012
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	64439   Click image for larger version

Name:	throwout bearing.JPG
Views:	102483
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	64440  

Last edited by turboengnr; 02-14-2006 at 12:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Brandonthe1 (03-25-2022)
Old 02-11-2006
DONT PANIC

turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
oh... and i put this in the mechanical problems forum because it is more fit for this section. Anyone with a tranny problem will most likely look/post here.
Old 02-11-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
nice post. I will sticky this for awhile since alot of people have manaul tranny problems.
Old 02-11-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Nice write up. Rep+1
Old 02-11-2006
DONT PANIC

thank you and thank you.

I hope this helps out some people. I have seen probably 5 different threads that sound like this is their problem. So i hope this helps them out.
Old 02-12-2006
Registered!!

02blkhonda is an unknown quantity at this point
yep....what you were talking about is, what i thought to be a throw out bearing was not...i got excedy stage 1 organic kit(with new tob) had it installed and the first time i drove it i was like goddamnit mother ****ering son a bitches didnt put the new bearing in until i read this....thx now i will have that bearing replaced also
Old 02-12-2006
DONT PANIC

glad i could help!
Old 02-12-2006
Registered!!

02blkhonda is an unknown quantity at this point
if i knew how to rep you i would, somebody tell me how to so i can hook him up
Old 02-13-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
^^Click on the yellow smiliey under his post. And add rep.
Old 02-20-2006
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
I have been trying to diagnose a trans noise for awhile now. After doing some research I found that it could not be the throwout bearing. I thought it might be the pilot bearing, not really sure what it even is, just from what i read it sounded like it could be the case. Then I read a post of yours about the input shaft bearing being the weakest link in our trans, and I figured it was prob one of the two, but people were still telling me it was the throw out bearing because it is most common in manual cars. Now I read this and I am thinking the problem is with the input shaft bearing.

The sound happens like once or twice a day, it happens at random, and may not even happen if I only drive for like a half hour or hour in a day. It only happens in 1st or 2nd gear, never in neutral, at low rpms, never at mid or high rpms. It usually happens when the clutch is out, but I have heard it for a second with the clutch in. It sounds like bearings in a can, being lightly shaken. It increases in frequency, not in volume, as the car revs up, but then goes away as I approach mid rpms.
I tried changing the tranny fluid, even put in synthetic, but it still makes the noise. Also, the noise comes on so sudden and goes aways pretty fast because I have tried to get my friends to hear it but they cannot, but they may not really pay attention, so who knows.
Anyways, what do you think it could be?
Old 02-23-2006
Registered!!

utahbmxer is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by jackburton
The sound happens like once or twice a day, it happens at random, and may not even happen if I only drive for like a half hour or hour in a day. It only happens in 1st or 2nd gear, never in neutral, at low rpms, never at mid or high rpms. It usually happens when the clutch is out, but I have heard it for a second with the clutch in. It sounds like bearings in a can, being lightly shaken. It increases in frequency, not in volume, as the car revs up, but then goes away as I approach mid rpms.
I tried changing the tranny fluid, even put in synthetic, but it still makes the noise. Also, the noise comes on so sudden and goes aways pretty fast because I have tried to get my friends to hear it but they cannot, but they may not really pay attention, so who knows.
Jack.. I had exact problems that you are describing, no one else really could hear the same sounds. Finally I put it in 1st (and tried in rev) and idled around in a parking lot. The noise I was hearing was very noticible when making sharp turns at idle speed. I went and got serveral estimates at shops and 3 out of 4 shops I went to said it is the Throwout. I had shop 4 replace all the bearings, seals and clutch. I have all the old parts and the throwout bearing feels fine. The input shaft bearing is rough and a little loose, this is where my problem was. I bet you have a bad Input Shaft bearing from what you are describing and from my experience.
Old 02-23-2006
DONT PANIC

Originally Posted by jackburton
I have been trying to diagnose a trans noise for awhile now. After doing some research I found that it could not be the throwout bearing. I thought it might be the pilot bearing, not really sure what it even is, just from what i read it sounded like it could be the case. Then I read a post of yours about the input shaft bearing being the weakest link in our trans, and I figured it was prob one of the two, but people were still telling me it was the throw out bearing because it is most common in manual cars. Now I read this and I am thinking the problem is with the input shaft bearing.

Im not quite sure about that one. Ill have to ask my tranny buddy and ge tback to you.
Old 02-23-2006
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Question: What if it squeaks when I press in the clutch pedal? And when I depress it... also squeaks.
This is my first manual tranny car and there had been none in the family for a few decades (lol), so I basically know poop about diagnosing.

Thanks for this. Bookmarked for future reference.
Old 02-23-2006
DONT PANIC

that is a normal thing. There is a DIY on here somewhere to get rid of the squeaking. It is nothing to really be worried about. It is more of an annoyance than anything else.
Old 02-23-2006
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks!
Old 02-23-2006
Registered!!

I also got the squeeks, yet to fix it cuz its so cold here at the moment and also Im the first to have a manual in the family, ever.
Old 02-28-2006
Registered!!

ringflyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ramcosca
Question: What if it squeaks when I press in the clutch pedal? And when I depress it... also squeaks.
This is my first manual tranny car and there had been none in the family for a few decades (lol), so I basically know poop about diagnosing.

Thanks for this. Bookmarked for future reference.
I also have the "squake" when I press the clutch in and then most of the time out. I wasn't sure if it was normal either (this being my first manual tranny car). Thanks for the info. Good thread
Old 02-28-2006
DONT PANIC

thank you!

The squeaking is an easy fix. I actually developed a little squeak just before my surgery. And since my brother is driving my car now (he wrecked his RX8) i dont know if it still squeaks or not. But the motor and trans is coming out for the new ones to go in.
Old 02-28-2006
How many pots have you smoken?
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

manthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of light
Ok..i dunno how much help this will be if any...i'm just throwing it out there.

my tranny was messed up a few weeks ago, but i've had it repaired since then. when i went to pick it up...the owner of the shop showed me my old transmission.

he showed me how the part that i highlighted in blue is what was causing my problem. this part had been wore down a lot and i could feel it very rough and i could feel a flat part. you could even see where it was scratched up cuz the bearing that slides on it wasn't slinding smoothly.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	77687
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	64770  
Old 02-28-2006
DONT PANIC

that is the input shaft and the throwout bearing.
Old 02-28-2006
How many pots have you smoken?

manthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of light
just wanted to mention that the input shaft was messed up too...it wasn't just the bearing..the bearing had an effect on the shaft by wearing it and making it rough and so that had to be fixed as well...
Old 02-28-2006
DONT PANIC

thats weird.
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

scandals is an unknown quantity at this point
I was at my Honda dealership about a month ago complaining about a tinny rattle when releasing the clutch (about at the friction point) when going from stop to moving in 1st or from 1st to 2nd at low rpms. At first I thought it was something metallic rattling next to the engine, as engines tend to shudder a bit if not given enough gas when clutching. Anyhow, the technician took it for a spin and could not reproduce the noise. I then went out with him and showed him what it was and how to reproduce it. Then I went back inside as two technicians went for a ride. To make a long story short they took the car back into the service bay, looked at it for a bit and then diagnosed the noise as "clutch chatter". Explaining that as the clutch wears you may get some noise, it is not immediately necessary but the only way to fix it is to replace the clutch. The car only has 46,000 kms on it and I don't drive it like an idiot. (riding the clutch, etc...) I also have the extended warranty (not that it matters as I called Honda and they will not do anything).

The thing is I am not completely convinced that the problem is clutch chatter. Sometimes I hear this noise when not clutching at all - just travelling along at low rpms in 2nd or 1st gear. It makes a rattling metallic noise seemingly coming frome behind the dash in front of the driver for a few seconds and then goes away.

I'm not sure what to do, just keep driving it or what? I'd love to get rid of the noise as it makes the car sound like something is loose. Does anyone here have any idea if it could be anything other than clutch chatter? Everything else seems to be fine, no slippage or anything. Please help! A new clutch at 46,000 kms is rediculous.
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
Sounds like what I have.
Old 03-02-2006
I HEART KATIE

Quantas is an unknown quantity at this point
how much would a dealer charge for replacing an input shaft bearing?
Old 03-02-2006
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
yeah, with my car the input shaft bearing was on its way out, thats what tinman told me from the stuff i posted. then i began the search for a new car, and now i have my new car. other than that, the civic was fine, although more power and shorter gears would have been welcome.
Old 03-02-2006
I HEART KATIE

Originally Posted by Quantas
how much would a dealer charge for replacing an input shaft bearing?
bump....anyone? im sure someone has had a shop do this
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

scandals is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by scandals
I was at my Honda dealership about a month ago complaining about a tinny rattle when releasing the clutch (about at the friction point) when going from stop to moving in 1st or from 1st to 2nd at low rpms. At first I thought it was something metallic rattling next to the engine, as engines tend to shudder a bit if not given enough gas when clutching. Anyhow, the technician took it for a spin and could not reproduce the noise. I then went out with him and showed him what it was and how to reproduce it. Then I went back inside as two technicians went for a ride. To make a long story short they took the car back into the service bay, looked at it for a bit and then diagnosed the noise as "clutch chatter". Explaining that as the clutch wears you may get some noise, it is not immediately necessary but the only way to fix it is to replace the clutch. The car only has 46,000 kms on it and I don't drive it like an idiot. (riding the clutch, etc...) I also have the extended warranty (not that it matters as I called Honda and they will not do anything).

The thing is I am not completely convinced that the problem is clutch chatter. Sometimes I hear this noise when not clutching at all - just travelling along at low rpms in 2nd or 1st gear. It makes a rattling metallic noise seemingly coming frome behind the dash in front of the driver for a few seconds and then goes away.

I'm not sure what to do, just keep driving it or what? I'd love to get rid of the noise as it makes the car sound like something is loose. Does anyone here have any idea if it could be anything other than clutch chatter? Everything else seems to be fine, no slippage or anything. Please help! A new clutch at 46,000 kms is rediculous.
i just took my car for a spin again. can this possibly be clutch chatter if i am not even touching the clutch? i can just be in second gear, slow down to low rpms, hit the gas and produce the sound. seems like when the engine is torqued at low rpms while clutching or with your left foot on the dead pedal. any ideas?
Old 03-03-2006
I HEART KATIE

okay i need an answer asap, i need my input shaft bearing replaced cuz its making that nosie when the clutch isnt pressed in, then when i push the clutch in the noise goes away, and sometimes around certain rpms i hear a kind of a loud metallic noise that goes away if i push the clutch in to change gears, now when i bought this car from Acura of Brookfield, they told me that the car had "steel drive belts" and thats why it made funny noises, so i guess my question is how long can i drive the car before something bad happnes, or what is the actual problem here, is it just the fact that the noise is an annoyance or is it that there is going to be a mechanical issue if i dont get it replaced soon???
Old 03-04-2006
DONT PANIC

the dealer will rape you on the replacement of this part (unless you are under warantee).

I would take it to a reputable tranny shop. They will probably do much BETTER work for quite a bit less money than the dealershit.

Quick Reply: DIY: Diagnose manual Tranny Noises (and save some $$$)