Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

How does Honda diagnose SRS light issues?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
js89x is an unknown quantity at this point
How does Honda diagnose SRS light issues?

Well I finally got my car back from the dealership after issues with the SRS system. They had to replace both the SRS control unit and an OPDS unit. At first they said it was just a problem with the SRS control unit, but when they replaced that the SRS light still got tripped. They then determined it was a bad OPDS unit. I was just curious what kinds of equipment they use to find out where problems lie in the SRS system and how accurate they are. I had the impression they could just plug a computer into it and the problem area would be pointed out. But, it seems in my case this has been nothing but a trial and error process. I'm paranoid that the light will be coming on again and it will be yet another trip to the dealership for the 3rd time on this issue. The car doesn't even have 10,000 miles and is having these problems.
Old 11-20-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tacheon is on a distinguished road
There is a troubleshooting chart which they methodically go through. When the diagnostic computer produces an unexpected result after a fixing the original suspected cause, they replace the next item suggested in the troubleshooting chart.
Old 11-22-2005
Registered!!

igetmadchocha is an unknown quantity at this point
dont know?
Old 11-25-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
as tacheon said, every code, whether check engine light code, ABS code, Or SRS code has a set list of steps to follow in order to diagnose that code. It will start having you check everything in that circuit. It usually will start with the sensor or component, then work its way back to the ECU to see if there is a wiring issue or ECU problem.
Old 02-17-2007
Registered!!

phi5 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had my SRS light checked.. at the honda dealership.. they told me that diagnostic computer read a code for the driver's seat belt tensioner so, i had them replaced it for $350. After they dropped me off the mall and left me there for have a century. They gave me the vehicle back and gave another quote. The announced that the diagnostic computer gave them another code for the srs unit. This quote is for another 300 for parts and god knows how much the labor might be. My question is that if they did a diagnostic computer test shouldn't the srs unit tell them that I had a bad srs unit in the beginning? it is a major error. I believe that the could somehow the mechanic missed up resetting the code or either that they didn't unplug the battery for the vehicle while working on the vehicle. Also, wouldn't the diagnostic computer test flash a code that told them mulitple codes instead of one after another.