Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

instrument cluster replacement potential problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
js89x is an unknown quantity at this point
instrument cluster replacement potential problems

Due to some faulty wiring I had to get the instrument cluster replaced on my 05 Civic LX 4dr. I had it done at the dealership since it's under warranty. It seems like an instrument cluster replacement would be a very complicated and technical job that may result in future problems if not done right. Has anybody else had this done with no further problems or glitches?
Old 11-02-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
lol. if you replace with the same cluster as the car comes with, then it has two connectors that plug in. I'm not a honda tech and I can swap a cluster in about a minute or two. I actually have the newer kind like yours in my 02 so I had to pull out wires and repin the connectors for it to work. but a straight swap is VERY simple. Only thing with swapping the cluster is the mileage will change to whats on the new one. I think there are shops that can flash the old mileage on though.
Old 11-02-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
If the diagnosis is done only a short time would be required to replace the cluster. They most likely also have a way to set mileage to current reading ?(not sure ??)
Old 11-02-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
js89x is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey thanks! This all started when one time 3 weeks ago I had no functioning gauges, and then 2 nights ago the SRS light came on and stayed on. I took the car to the dealership yesterday morning, and I guess somewhere in the process they determined I had no airbag problems but the instrument cluster was bad. Took them almost 2 days to get this fixed. I pick up the car tomorrow morning...and the advisor told me to expect the car to have only a few miles on it :-)