Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

HELP Headlight Problems, Low beams wont work wtf!

Old 09-25-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to all
Arrow HELP Headlight Problems, Low beams wont work wtf!

i was just about to get on the interstate and head back athens when i noticed my low beams wouldnt work. checked the bulbs, both were fine. then i checked the the fuses. all of them are working fine. my high beams work but my low beams wont work. what could the problem be????
Old 09-25-2005
I log in from time to time
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
are you absolutely positive that the low beams work?
Old 09-25-2005
Registered!!

R3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to all
my low beams DONT work. my high beams work though. i was thinking of driving home with my highs on the whole way but figured id probably get pulled over or cause someone to wreck. im pissed....real pissed.
Old 09-25-2005
Registered!!

PennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nice
same thing happened to me last week. bulbs looked fine too but switched the bulbs around and it worked fine
Old 09-25-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by PennyKnotOff
same thing happened to me last week. bulbs looked fine too but switched the bulbs around and it worked fine

didnt work
Old 09-25-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
anyone think to say anything about the sitch relay recall? if that was the part? ya know the recall about the lowbeam switch not functioning properly?
Old 09-26-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
What year ? Coupe or Sedan ?? PM with E-Mail address and I can send you the schematic for the circuit.
Old 09-26-2005
I log in from time to time
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Shroomster
anyone think to say anything about the sitch relay recall? if that was the part? ya know the recall about the lowbeam switch not functioning properly?
That's what I was getting at. If the low beam filament is good and the circuit is not, then there would be no low beam.

Originally Posted by R3DL1N3
checked the bulbs, both were fine. then i checked the the fuses. all of them are working fine.
You checked the bulbs and both function properly or they are both in tact?
Old 09-26-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
what I would suggest is you pull off the combination switch and test it. If your fuses are ok, and only the high beams work, then both relays are good, and I highly doubt that both sides of the headlight harnesses have an open circuit in it. Headlights are a parellel circuit so My first instinct would be the combination switch.

To remove it, remove the lower dashboard cover and remove the steering wheel covers, then disconnect the 16P connecter from the light switch.

remove both screws then slide out the light switch. inspect eveything for any corrosion, then check for continuity in these following positions.

with the switch off, should have continuity between terminal4 and 6. with it in the parking light position, should have continuity between 12 and 13. with the low beams on should have it between 6 and 7, 7 and 12, and 12 and 13. and in the high position between 4 and 7, 7 and 12 and between 12 and 13. with the passing switch on, between 7 and 12 and between 4 and 12.

If none of these are correct, replace the switch.
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

Gardener is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda has done a recall for this problem. I was involved in a long thread years ago and provided circuit details. It ultimately boiled down to bad contacts in a connector.

I suggest you start by contacting a dealer about the recall. If this doesn't work, write back.

Gardener
Old 10-02-2005
Registered!!

platano37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Low beam

i had the same issue. My problem ended up being that the low beam wire was fried all the way to the termination point inside the car under the steering wheel. I ran a new 14 gauge wire directly from that point under the steering wheel straight to the low beam wire on the headlight. That seemed to work great.
I went to my local discount store and bought:
- 14 gauge wire about 20 feet just in case. ~$4
- circuit tester to test how far the break is (ended up being all the way through) ~$12
- pack of wire splice ( 7 in a box ) they are the best you put both wires in and crimp them nothing else needed. Electrical tape is recomended over it. ~$4

All was done after that. The hardest thing is to find out how far the wire is fried. You can also test to see if all is well at the termination point at the connector under the sterring wheel. If that is good you can just run a wire straight from there as i did. I think it is best becuase the heavier gauge wire helps best.

ON MINE IT WAS THE RED/BLUE WIRE. YOU WILL HAVE TO TRACE THE WIRE TO FIND OUT. ( THAT IS FROM THE HEADLIGHT CONNECTOR ALL THE WAY THRU TO THE INSIDE OF THE CAR)
ON MINE IT WAS A RED/GREAY ON THE HEADLIGHT THEN IT CHANGE TO RED/GREEN ON THE HARNESS THEN ON THE CONNECTOR INSIDE THE CARE IT TURNED TO RED/BLUE. IT WILL TAKE 2 HRS TOPS. TO TRACE AND SPLICE.

IF YOU NEED MORE HELP I CAN POST PICS.

GOOD LUCK!!
Old 10-19-2005
Registered!!

saw_lo_symon is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey guys I'm having the same problem with my 2k1. Checked online and seemed like the last owner brought it in for the recall already. Do you guys know if they will fix it again?

If not I'll re-wire it myself, But just need help on how to do it. Platano37's post seems great. Could you guys send me the info, pics, watever you got will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx!!!

saw_lo_symon@yahoo.com

Last edited by saw_lo_symon; 10-19-2005 at 06:57 PM.