Go Back   Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civics by Generation > 7th Gen > Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Experience Used CarsGarageVendor Directory
Welcome to Honda Civic Forum

Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-17-2005   #1 (permalink)
Registered!!

mackin is an unknown quantity at this point
Ac Smells Like Rotten Eggs???

Hi everyone,

is there anyway to clean my air conditioning system at home?
when ever i turn my AC on, this stinky smell would come out for like the first 2-3 mins and the goes away after that until i turn it off and turn it on a while later?
anyone can help me fix the problem>?

thanks
Old 09-17-2005   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Points: 146,804, Level: 100 Points: 146,804, Level: 100 Points: 146,804, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 54.5%
Activity: 54.5% Activity: 54.5% Activity: 54.5%
gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute
that smell is probably there because you keep the system in recirculate mode. That first button to the left of the AC. First you need to clear out the mildew thats been growing. Warm up the car to temp and then blast the heater for 5 mins at least. That will kill everything and clear out the smell for later. If you keep the vent on fresh air mode, it shouldn't come back again. Also after using the ac, leave the fan vent open when you shut off the car. I used to have the same rotten smell and now it never smells at all.
Old 09-17-2005   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Points: 146,804, Level: 100 Points: 146,804, Level: 100 Points: 146,804, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 54.5%
Activity: 54.5% Activity: 54.5% Activity: 54.5%
gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute
wait are you talking about a HOME air conditioner? If so then you just need to replace the filter screen.
Old 09-18-2005   #4 (permalink)
Registered!!

EX4Dr is an unknown quantity at this point
Use Lysol to kill the mildew. Next time you are going to turn off the AC, set it to fan only for 2-3 minutes to dry out the condensation before completely shutting it down. Once dry, mildew will not have a chance to grow.
EX4Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #5 (permalink)
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to all Jrfish007 is a name known to all Jrfish007 is a name known to all Jrfish007 is a name known to all Jrfish007 is a name known to all Jrfish007 is a name known to all Jrfish007 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Jrfish007
Have you checked the filter for the interior? IF not check those out and see what they look like.
Jrfish007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005   #6 (permalink)
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond repute ramcosca has a reputation beyond repute ramcosca has a reputation beyond repute ramcosca has a reputation beyond repute ramcosca has a reputation beyond repute ramcosca has a reputation beyond repute ramcosca has a reputation beyond repute ramcosca has a reputation beyond repute ramcosca has a reputation beyond repute ramcosca has a reputation beyond repute ramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ramcosca Send a message via MSN to ramcosca Send a message via Yahoo to ramcosca
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox
that smell is probably there because you keep the system in recirculate mode. That first button to the left of the AC. First you need to clear out the mildew thats been growing. Warm up the car to temp and then blast the heater for 5 mins at least. That will kill everything and clear out the smell for later. If you keep the vent on fresh air mode, it shouldn't come back again. Also after using the ac, leave the fan vent open when you shut off the car. I used to have the same rotten smell and now it never smells at all.
Way to go.
That helped me...
Co-founder and member #2: Boricua Squad || Roots, blood, pride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01HonderCivic
Ram, You're my hero. You know that, right? I may need to start a Ramcosca Super Mega Fanboy Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHCP0801
oh well we can just go to the honda dealer to see a stock red civic and say hey look its ramcosca!
So why bother learning?

ramcosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005   #7 (permalink)
Registered!!

AntiLoop will become famous soon enough
Change the cabin filters !!! My A/C system smelled like crap everytime i shut the A/C off. Ever since I changed the cabin filter the smell is gone..
AntiLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005   #8 (permalink)
Registered!!

D17CivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
did u check to see if u have an egg somewhere? that same thing happened to me.... come to find out i had a busted egg and after i cleaned it up no more smell
D17CivicEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #9 (permalink)
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond repute ramcosca has a reputation beyond repute ramcosca has a reputation beyond repute ramcosca has a reputation beyond repute ramcosca has a reputation beyond repute ramcosca has a reputation beyond repute ramcosca has a reputation beyond repute ramcosca has a reputation beyond repute ramcosca has a reputation beyond repute ramcosca has a reputation beyond repute ramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ramcosca Send a message via MSN to ramcosca Send a message via Yahoo to ramcosca
Quote:
Originally Posted by D17CivicEX
did u check to see if u have an egg somewhere? that same thing happened to me.... come to find out i had a busted egg and after i cleaned it up no more smell
Ok...
LOL
Co-founder and member #2: Boricua Squad || Roots, blood, pride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01HonderCivic
Ram, You're my hero. You know that, right? I may need to start a Ramcosca Super Mega Fanboy Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHCP0801
oh well we can just go to the honda dealer to see a stock red civic and say hey look its ramcosca!
So why bother learning?

ramcosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #10 (permalink)
Registered!!

allblack02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiLoop
Change the cabin filters !!! My A/C system smelled like crap everytime i shut the A/C off. Ever since I changed the cabin filter the smell is gone..
hey guys just wondering about the cabin filter.... where would it be located? im new to the civic world.... thanks alot!
allblack02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #11 (permalink)
Registered!!

AntiLoop will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by allblack02
hey guys just wondering about the cabin filter.... where would it be located? im new to the civic world.... thanks alot!
right behind the glove box.. very easy to install ... takes 5 minutes!
AntiLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #12 (permalink)
Registered!!

allblack02 is an unknown quantity at this point
yea i searched a little more and found what i was looking for.... gosh what a noob! lol thanks alot though man.... this site is so helpful!!
allblack02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005
CivicForums
Honda Civic

Paid Advertisement

Tags
air , cars , check , civic , conditioner , egg , eggs , engine , honda , rotten , smell , smellin , smells , stniks , ur