Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Who's had a bad transmission? *UPDATED*

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EM2jdm is an unknown quantity at this point
My transmission is going out. Took it to Honda today and they said my M/T mainshaft bearing it going out with only 32k on it. They quoted me $600 in labor and unknow for price of parts that need to be replaced in the transmission.
Old 02-04-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Isn't the warranty 36k? I'd take it up with American Honda regardless. Bearings should not fail this soon. Might want to print out the hundreds of pages of transmission complaints and mail them to Honda.
Old 02-04-2006
Registered!!

Wind-x is an unknown quantity at this point
i dont think exterior/interior mods matter I just put a bodykit on and i scrub on speedbumps but theyre still fixing it for free.
Old 02-04-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
wow this thread is depressing. has anyone lasted over 100k at least? please?
Old 02-04-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gearbox
wow this thread is depressing. has anyone lasted over 100k at least? please?
either streetglower or JRfish has like 98k miles or so I think....I've seen maybe one or two civics that came into my shop with around 90k..
Old 02-04-2006
Registered!!

reqy will become famous soon enoughreqy will become famous soon enough
I hope the 2003's transmission quality has improved but i still saw a few 03 Civics have problems. What has happened to Honda? What happened to the quality when an engine and transmission could last for over 246000 miles and STILL run like a champ. The only transmission problem i had with my 1987 Honda was a bad synchro in 3rd gear. The rest of the problems were just a few leaks, bad AC, battery, and alternator. It also seems that RSXs suffer from grinding 2nd gears, and who knows what problems the 8th gen Civics possess.
Old 02-05-2006
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Originally Posted by reqy
I hope the 2003's transmission quality has improved but i still saw a few 03 Civics have problems. What has happened to Honda? What happened to the quality when an engine and transmission could last for over 246000 miles and STILL run like a champ. The only transmission problem i had with my 1987 Honda was a bad synchro in 3rd gear. The rest of the problems were just a few leaks, bad AC, battery, and alternator. It also seems that RSXs suffer from grinding 2nd gears, and who knows what problems the 8th gen Civics possess.
Indeed. I personally am done with new Hondas. I'll drive my 02 until it has problems and then sell it. Not worth putting money into these cars. I just got my second 85 Nissan truck. Easy to fix, solid as a rock, and they commonly run 300K and more without drivetrain problems. This is total BS with the new cars. An engine/tranny combo should last at least 150k before it needs work. But it appears that they are now totally disposable. My original Accord lasted from 1977 to 2002. No major problems at all until the engine blew the head in 02. I figured (wrongly) that a new honda would be better, and technologically advanced. Truth is, the AC does not work as well, it rides much worse (stock), it rattles as a NEW car, and I actually have to baby it. I expect to grind my transmission at any time, it is never consistent. Even with the moly, which has dramatically improved it, the car has moods.

My trucks on the other hand.... they start and run the same day after day, year after year. Not as comfy as the civic, but I can totally depend on them.

Why, Honda?? Why have you slipped so bad? I used to love my Accords. (77 and 82) Great cars!

At this point, there is NO way I'll buy an 8th gen. I'm actually thinking an early 90's accord or prelude instead.
Old 02-05-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
if you actually look at how honda designs their newer cars, it is quite pathetic. the materials they use and construction get sacrificed to put out a few more mpg and better emissions. a plastic intake manifold? are we building a toy here or what? thats why they don't make em like they used to. and even then heck i've gotten 15mpg with my civic once! average is around 22 on a good tank with normal driving. yet the car is still slow as *****. has nothing good going for it. throw a few light mods at it and it will literally give up and die until you put stock back. what i dont understand is after all their care for better gas mileage, the ecu is programmed to run rich as a pig. the new si has an a/f around 11-12! are we running a turbo under there? with that kind of a/f you can throw a turbo on and not even tune it.
Old 02-05-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff is an unknown quantity at this point
3 clutches, 1 new transmission due to 2nd gear grinding, 3 slave cylinders. Only have 30,000 miles ans the tranny is making griding noises again.
Old 02-05-2006
Registered!!

speedster is an unknown quantity at this point
My 02 lx 5-speed had bad synchro in 2nd (it kept jumping out of gear). Took it to get fixed and they screwed it up even worse. It had very stiff shifter and sometimes it would jam up completely. Took it back and they finally fixed it. The only problem now is it sometimes won't go into reverse good, but no biggie. My car had around 32,000 miles on it when this was worked on the first time. I now have 60,000 on it.
Old 02-06-2006
Premium Member

can anyone confirm whether the new 04-05 tranny has the updated part? cause i need a tranny soon and NOBODY in this town knows how to rebuild one. all they can do is swap with another one.
Old 02-11-2006
Registered!!

65Coronet440 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just wanted to add to this thread since mines looking like it's on it's way out.

2002 Civic EX automatic. 130,000 miles. Started slipping a bit when cold at around 110K, still shifts "ok" when warm but not as crisp as it was 30K ago.

This week it's started whining when cold. After narrowing down where the sound is coming from, I'm suspecting the pump in the tranny is getting ready to go out.

I'm checking my options tonight, debating on a rebuild or trading it in on something else. Toyota Corolla? Subaru? Maybe I'll go buy me some old used Civic, when they were still decent cars.
Old 02-11-2006
Premium Member

just keep in mind that a whining sound means you have very little time. maybe only a few days maybe few weeks. get an older car. new ones aren't what they used to be.
Old 02-12-2006
ThE CoRRupToR

dru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nice
Originally Posted by 65Coronet440
Just wanted to add to this thread since mines looking like it's on it's way out.

2002 Civic EX automatic. 130,000 miles. Started slipping a bit when cold at around 110K, still shifts "ok" when warm but not as crisp as it was 30K ago.

This week it's started whining when cold. After narrowing down where the sound is coming from, I'm suspecting the pump in the tranny is getting ready to go out.

I'm checking my options tonight, debating on a rebuild or trading it in on something else. Toyota Corolla? Subaru? Maybe I'll go buy me some old used Civic, when they were still decent cars.
Yes, ACT QUICK!!! cuz its gonna go out really really soon!! I recommend you not to drive it since it still works untill u find another car and sell the civic!! ACT NOW BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2006
Registered!!

02blackcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
well i wrote a nasty letter to Honda of America and they called me and they told me to take my car to the nearest location, they would waive the $75 fee to look at the car, although it isnt on warranty anymore, its an 02 ex with 42K on the motor, 5-speed, but yea, i told them everything that is wrong with my car: synchros from 2nd to 3rd, grinds putting into reverse, wont go into reverse first try, squeaky suspension, broken passenger side window regulator, dryrotted control arm bushings, and some other small things
they are going to look at it probly tommorw and diagnos it and then honda of america is gonna contact me and let me know wahts going to happen, so im waiting.....i have an intake, rims, exhaust, and front bumper of a body kit on the car right now, i took the sides and rear lip off before i took it there, so i hope they dont say anything about that messing the car up...
Old 02-12-2006
Premium Member

they're gonna blame it all on the intake now. i am so sick of honda and their pos cars. Even their service is terrible. you know i hate dodge but this kid i was talking to said he was racing his srt and the engine blew up. now the car is at the dealer and they're rebuilding the entire motor under warranty. thats how it should be. you get a warranty not to have to worry about whether a stupid air intake is gonna void your warranty. ugh those stupid monkey techs make me so mad. They try and play that stupid mod card and end up sounding like they have no clue how a car works. oh well uhh we don't work on cars that are modified with non-honda parts because its a uh not in our best interest if something goes wrong. wtf does that mean you're retarded?
Old 02-12-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
Same happened to me Gearbox. Brought the car in under warranty with mods and they fixed my gear popping out problem didnt' fix the 3rd gear grind because it wasn't in bad enough shape to warrant a repair. They said to bring it back if it got any worse. 10,000 miles later and a few more mods to my car, I come back to get the 3rd gear fix and they deny everything...

I honestly don't think I'll buy a Honda again.
Old 02-13-2006
Registered!!

Dealerships suck. All they want to do is make money, not lose money. All they care about is making a sale. After that, they could care less. That's my 2 cents.
Old 02-13-2006
Registered!!

rippyman is an unknown quantity at this point
Honestly, what I read in this thread makes me sick. What’s the matter with Honda? Anyway, I was wondering, what are the driving habits of all of you all who have problems with the 5-speeds? My parents’ ‘04 civic has 43,000 miles on it and is not driven hard at all, usually under 4000 rpm and primarily highway driving. We have had no problems with the car so far. The car is totally stock. Do you think they’ll be able to get at least 150k out of it with their light driving habits or are they looking at a possible tranny failure in the future? I worry because my mom did not get the extended warranty when we bought it (hopefully not a mistake).
Frankly, I would love to show this thread to the people who think Hondas ride on water! I still love the old ones though. A neighbor has 200k on his 90’s Civic and it's still going strong.
Old 02-13-2006
Registered!!

Being it's an 04 model, probably most of the bugs are worked out. As far as my 02 5-speed, mine had problems from the beginning with 2nd gear popping out.
Old 02-13-2006
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by rippyman
Honestly, what I read in this thread makes me sick. What’s the matter with Honda? Anyway, I was wondering, what are the driving habits of all of you all who have problems with the 5-speeds? My parents’ ‘04 civic has 43,000 miles on it and is not driven hard at all, usually under 4000 rpm and primarily highway driving. We have had no problems with the car so far. The car is totally stock. Do you think they’ll be able to get at least 150k out of it with their light driving habits or are they looking at a possible tranny failure in the future? I worry because my mom did not get the extended warranty when we bought it (hopefully not a mistake).
Frankly, I would love to show this thread to the people who think Hondas ride on water! I still love the old ones though. A neighbor has 200k on his 90’s Civic and it's still going strong.
Keep in mind most people on here are "aggresive" drivers or have a heavy right foot. Also keep in mind the some people only come here when their car has a problem. Finaly, keep in mind that about 1.5-2 million 7th gen civic's sold in the US, you talking to less than 1% of the owners.
Old 02-13-2006
Registered!!

rippyman is an unknown quantity at this point
Keep in mind most people on here are "aggresive" drivers or have a heavy right foot. Also keep in mind the some people only come here when their car has a problem. Finaly, keep in mind that about 1.5-2 million 7th gen civic's sold in the US, you talking to less than 1% of the owners.
Yeah, I'm aware of all that. Am I prohibited from coming here just because I haven't had problems yet? Let me rephrase it then: has anyone had problems (regardless of right-foot habits) with the 04 5-Speeds yet? I mostly just hear people with the 01s and 02s.

BTW, driving habits shouldn't be an excuse for these tranny failures! If honda's going to blame it on that, then they should put a rev-limiter at 3k!
Old 02-13-2006
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by rippyman
Yeah, I'm aware of all that. Am I prohibited from coming here just because I haven't had problems yet? Let me rephrase it then: has anyone had problems (regardless of right-foot habits) with the 04 5-Speeds yet? I mostly just hear people with the 01s and 02s.

BTW, driving habits shouldn't be an excuse for these tranny failures! If honda's going to blame it on that, then they should put a rev-limiter at 3k!

no, very few people are prohibited from coming here. I am just saying that when a car breaks down, the owners often go to the internet to search for what the problem maybe and see how much it is going to run them. That's all.
Old 02-13-2006
Premium Member

i usually drive under 4k rpm, usually meaning 90% of the time.
Old 02-13-2006
A03
Registered!!

A03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, I am happy that after skimming through here I don't see much about 03's. I do feel bad for all you with 01/02 problems, and I sure hope the tranny gremlins don't come looking for my 03!

On a related topic - I asked my Honda/dealer mechanic a few days ago about how many 7th gen trannies he's fixed or replaced. (he's a friend of mine, so he isn't bullshitting me) and he said he'd rebuilt ONE. The one he rebuilt he said was not caused by defective parts, it was some form of very obvious abuse or too much power that broke parts. He didn't even believe that so many people were having problems with the trannies (he dosn't go online that I know of). He says, we get TONS of 01-02's through here and tranny issues are almost non-existant.

Maybe there is some kind of relavance to this information. Posting the location your car was built in, and/or what your vin code is might show some trends for the people who have problems????

I think when my car was made, there was 3 or 4 options as to where it was produced. I believe they were Canada, Ohio and Japan. G, H or J vins? Somthing like that?? ****, I could go search and find it on the site, but I'm too lazy. :P
Old 02-13-2006
Premium Member

see but other mechanics i've talked to (including our own resident tinman), have said oh boy those newer civics always have problems, the tranny is poorly made, and they would go on for hours about how terrible it is. and its obviously not driver abuse from my end. who would need to redline it anyway all you get is an extra 5hp.

mine was 1hg ohio i believe.
Old 02-13-2006
A03
Registered!!

A03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
see but other mechanics i've talked to (including our own resident tinman), have said oh boy those newer civics always have problems, the tranny is poorly made, and they would go on for hours about how terrible it is. and its obviously not driver abuse from my end. who would need to redline it anyway all you get is an extra 5hp.

mine was 1hg ohio i believe.

That is part of what makes it strange. Wonder why my dealer mechanic hasn't been seeing any of these bad trannies. I know some IL civics are bad, like yours Gearbox, and Supacivics took a **** as well.. but apparently they don't come into the dealer that I go to.
Old 02-13-2006
Banned

thiscrackerntam will become famous soon enoughthiscrackerntam will become famous soon enough
I had an 01 civic EX with a 5spd manual and the tranny failed on mine around 50-60k miles. (cant remember what the mileage was when I traded it in) it got to the point where if I floored it in 1st and hit 2nd, the gear shift would jam and I wouldnt be able to get it back into gear until I played around with it for 5 minutes or so...

edit: I also had that problem where it would pop out of 2nd on occasion

Last edited by thiscrackerntam; 02-13-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-13-2006
Premium Member

thats really unsafe!
Old 02-14-2006
Unsalvageable

rEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trusted
there are about 32,868 people on this site as of valentines day 2006, a few of us 7th gen owners, will be very unlucky, and for those of us who are really fortunate, congrats. thats the way the cookie crumbles.

Quick Reply: Who's had a bad transmission? *UPDATED*