Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

valve lifter noise/vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jaalfer is an unknown quantity at this point
valve lifter noise/vibration

Hi, I just bought a used 2001 civic 2 door LX 49,000miles manual tranny last week from a nissan dealer. A couple of days later, I hear this vibrating/whining sound from the engine. I take it to car-x and they say its lifter noise. They say its unusual for a 2001 civic but I shouldnt be too worried.

Their suggestion: get restore or Lucas oil and put it in. This stuff should clean out the lifters and will eventually the noise will be gone. Maybe after a month or so. They also suggested synthetic oil.

I did what they suggested. I got the oil changed to Penzoil synthetic 5w-20 and put in maybe half a cup of lucas oil. Drove around for a couple of days and still there.

I researched on the net and found that some cars do have this lifter noise and the restore/lucas oil does help. Hopefully that is the case with mine but I will not sleeping well at night until the noise is gone.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Suggestions?

Thanks for the help
Jay
Old 02-03-2005
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
The last time I had a whinning noise it was the alternator. There was a service bullentin where the factory tightened the belt to tight and caused the alternators internal bearing to go bad.

I have a 2001 civic 2 door LX and it happen to me at 46,000miles
Old 02-03-2005
Registered!!

isuzu5000 will become famous soon enoughisuzu5000 will become famous soon enough
maybe you have a supercharger....that'd be tight
Old 02-03-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Lifters? Our cars have rocker arms.. not lifters. Maybe they meant rocker arms?
Old 02-03-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Yes.... Hondas don't have hydraulic lifters. Restore and lucas oil won't do a thing. Nor will Marvel mystery oil. The hard rockers may need adjusting, but you would get a tapping/clicking sound from the valve cover. Don't mistake that for the quieter ticking of the fuel injectors, though.
Old 02-03-2005
Registered!!

12sec elcamino is an unknown quantity at this point
There right, additaves will not help, all they do is make the oil thicker anyway, why not just run 10w-30 anyway, its got some miles on it now. However, valve niose is good to some degree anyway, that means "clearance" and high rpm motors need clearance. But if you are hearing light niose of the valve train working, thats ok, but not loud ticking or noisy chattering. I believe the 2001 requires a valve adjustment at 30k if Im not mistaken, think ASE states its a three hour job, so on the going rate of labor you should be able to get it done for under 300.00 and be out the door in less than two hours. Just my 2cents!
Old 02-04-2005
Registered!!

Okay, thanks for the input. Maybe it is valve noise, but should I take it to a honda dealer or just find a shop to get that checked/adjusted?

Also, my car didn't have a manual, how far should the oil be on the dip stick? Between the two dots or at the second dot? Mine is a little over the second dot.
Old 02-04-2005
Registered!!

Diablo is an unknown quantity at this point
i would take it to the dealer. last time i had honda adjust my valves it cost me $85. and that was with an oil change. i had a whining noise also but it was my power steering pump was bad.
Old 02-04-2005
Registered!!

the oil should be fine by the second dot. why dont you run 5w30 mobile one synthetic on there thats what i use and i have never had any problem
Old 02-04-2005
Registered!!

I might try mobile 1 on my next oil change. I might go ahead and bite the bullet and go to a dealer. Going to the dealer give me the creeps though. Its not pleasant for me. Man, I dont even have my plates yet. I will post an update on what happens.
Old 02-04-2005
Registered!!

Silversleeper is an unknown quantity at this point
do the valve adjustment by yourself.
Old 02-04-2005
Registered!!

nawaf88 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think my car needs a valve adjustment. I get this tic tic tick noise once my car warms up. I have a new 04 ex civic. everything else feels normal with the engine, its just when its idling it makes this noise.
Old 02-04-2005
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
Grey did a DIY valve adjustment. Search for it, im lazy.
Old 02-04-2005
Registered!!

EX4Dr is an unknown quantity at this point
If you put a thicker oil in your engine, you may be able to lower the ticking noise just a bit. But usually not enough satisfy the owner. On other side of the coin is that a thicker oil will also give your engine a higher wear rate at startup.

I you are sure your valve clearance is the cause, then doing a valve adjustment is the only proper way to remedy the problem. Do make sure it is your valve making the ticking and not just your fuel injector firing. Alot of people make the wrong assumption and it turns out it is the fuel injectors - which is perfectly normal. The injector noise is more pronounce in Civic because the car lack enough sound insulation compare to more expensive cars.
Old 02-05-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by nawaf88
I think my car needs a valve adjustment. I get this tic tic tick noise once my car warms up. I have a new 04 ex civic. everything else feels normal with the engine, its just when its idling it makes this noise.
its just your injectors making that tic tic noise. when you see another civic some where with the engine running just listen you will notice it make the same noise they all do. but if your ticking noise gets faster when you accelerate then its your valves.
Old 02-05-2005
Registered!!

12sec elcamino is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree, maybe use mobile1 10w30, synth oil is usually a little thinner anyway. Thats what I put in after the first oil change at 1500 when it was new. 03 ex
Old 03-15-2005
Registered!!

megacivicfan is an unknown quantity at this point
I've been running synthetic oils since 25,000 miles, AMSoil 5w30 since 40,000 miles on my 01 DX. I had the same ticking noise. I adjusted the valves at 125,000 miles and the noise never went away. Also kudos to AMSoil, the valves, even at 125,000 miles didn't really need adjustment, they were at the maximum tolerance, but still "in" tolerance. I ran AMSoil's fuel injector cleaner through the engine, and the noise went down a little. Noise coming from the injectors is common from what research i've done, especially the older they get. And injectors will pulsate faster when the engine revs, so if the noise gets faster as the engine revs, it is not necessarily the valves.