Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

transmission solenoids

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
redhotcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
transmission solenoids

has anyone heard of the transmission solenoids going bad ? i have a automatic and i dont shift or try to race !
i hooked it up to my computer (OBD2) and that was the code it showed, shifter solenoids A&B, clutch solenoids A&B.. it says replace and it MIGHT fix it! but if the code comes back i need a new tranny! those solenoids cost over 400.00$ so i basically have to take a 400$ chance has anyone had this problem?
Old 01-08-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by redhotcivic
has anyone heard of the transmission solenoids going bad ? i have a automatic and i dont shift or try to race !
i hooked it up to my computer (OBD2) and that was the code it showed, shifter solenoids A&B, clutch solenoids A&B.. it says replace and it MIGHT fix it! but if the code comes back i need a new tranny! those solenoids cost over 400.00$ so i basically have to take a 400$ chance has anyone had this problem?
Everything on cars will wear out eventually and go bad. Including solenoids. What was the code that showed up. Just cause it has to do with shifter solenoids a and b doesnt mean that is the problem. What I mean is you need to go diagnos them to be sure that is the problem. When you say it might fix it means that might not be the problem. Also if the code comes back it doesnt mean you need a new tranny, it means you didnt correct the problem. Dont take a $400 chance when maybe all you have is a shorted out wire or other simple, inexpensive problem. Dont just throw parts at it. And also are you not under warranty anymore?
Old 01-08-2005
Registered!!

yeah my warranty ran out about 2,000 miles ago! how would i check tho to see if they are bad or not
Old 01-08-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Well first off what is the code that your ECU is putting out? Do you even know it has something to do with the tranny solenoids?

Next if you tell me the code, I can look it up in my service manual. I will tell you how to check them.
Old 01-09-2005
Registered!!

as soon as i get back to my car and see what it was i will send you the code it put out..... according to my computer thats what it says it is... solenoids
Old 01-09-2005
Registered!!

yea just let me know. I am pretty sure you might need some special tools, but I dont know untill I look up the code to do the diagnosing.