Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

quick question about gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004
I just burnt my tongue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
quick question about gasoline

its not my civic but i just bought an AE86 from a friend for $150...but on the SR5 the carb is broken so it doesnt run...once i replace it it ill run...only thing is that the car with almost a full tank of gas has been sitting there for almost 8 months without being moved...so the gas has been sitting there for a while...
What should i do about the gas?
Should i syphon it out and get new gas?
Or should i shake the car up and down to mix the gas?
Are there additives i can add to the fuel to make it mix?...if i have more questions ill add them
Old 10-05-2004
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
I believe there are additives you can buy at the store to put into the tank that should rejuvenate the fuel, try check out an autozone.
Old 10-05-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
I say drain that old fuel out and replace it with fresh fuel.
Old 10-05-2004
Registered!!

HappyGilmore is an unknown quantity at this point
The manual tells you if you are storing away the car or not use the car for a awhile, you should fill up the tank to full. Until then, you can drive off using the gas in the tank.
Old 10-08-2004
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
off topic, Corolla GT-S (fuel injection) AE86, otherwise, carburator AE85. Still a good buy though.
Old 10-08-2004
Registered!!

smooth14 is an unknown quantity at this point
i know this sounds crazy but believe it or not gasoline spoils and it only takes about 2 monts this old gas will clog up your fuel filter and varnish the inside of your cylinders which can be verry bad if i were you i would drain the gas especially before you put on a new carb because bad gas can really screw up a good carb so i would definately drain the gas replace the fuel filter and replace that gas with new high octain
Old 10-09-2004
Registered!!

ohiojosh78 can only hope to improve
i just went through this with my car. It sat forever(6 mo.) while i painted it. They have additives to put in your gas to keep it fresh but i dont think they will refresh your gas after the fact. You have to put them in BEFORE you store it. At least everything i've seen.

I got my car up and running in no time. So.....here's what i'd do.

1 siphon out old gas
2 put in a few gallons of new
3 add a bottle of "Gumout Regane" its like regular gumout on steroids.
4 (4 & 5 are most important) remove spark plugs
5 crank over the engine a few times. this will lube up your engine with fresh oil so that you will not damage it. otherwise if it starts without doing this you will cause EXTREME wear on the engine since all the oil has drained out.
6 if the plugs look bad put in new. I'd do it just to be safe they're only like a buck a piece.

Last edited by ohiojosh78; 10-12-2004 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-10-2004
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
Originally Posted by CuRiOuSfIsH
off topic, Corolla GT-S (fuel injection) AE86, otherwise, carburator AE85. Still a good buy though.

wrong...in the US the AE86 is the SR5 too...not only the GT-S model is the AE86 in the us...although the sr5 is the same as the 85 in the vin #s it is written as AE86XXXXXXX etc...
Old 10-11-2004
Registered!!

VietScouty is an unknown quantity at this point
Wha is up with that 86? Is it because of Initial D or some crap? I remember my uncle told me a story about this 1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S...when I was in 6 grade...that was 11 or 12 years ago before tha driftin crap became popular in tha states. Tellin me that its tha best racin car out there so far at its time and I asked him y..."Well, because its easy to drift and do cool things with it." Of course when I was young...I was all puzzled about racing and didn't know wha a drift is until I was a freshman in HS after when my uncle demostrate to me wha it is in his own vehicle...scared tha hell out of me and I don't know wha is so cool about it still.
Driftin has been around since my uncle was still in HS...but I know it wasn't popular in tha states till this century.
Old 10-11-2004
Registered!!

ojay is on a distinguished road
ur uncle's bunta
Old 10-11-2004
I just burnt my tongue

driftins been around since 60's and 70's...anyways i got the AE86 because it was cheap...$150 to be exact...my good friend bought it in 1999 when she first got her license...it was in prestine condition until it started to sit in the sun and stopped being driven because she bought an integra 4door...anyways...anyone have any answers to the gas problem?...i hear i should just connect the fuel pump to a car battery and drain all the fuel out after i put gas flush in the tank...im either gonna add octane booster and couple of gallons of gas or just drain it...yet to decide