Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Maintenance required light

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
I'm guessing you mean the maintance required light? you can reset it any time.
Old 08-30-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
yeah i did mean the maintenance light

sorry bout posting a new thread thought I hit the reply button in the sticky about the maintenance light

even if its doing the 1,000 mile over blink? (like for 10-20 seconds?)
Old 08-30-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Shroomster
sorry bout posting a new thread thought I hit the reply button in the sticky about the maintenance light

even if its doing the 1,000 mile over blink? (like for 10-20 seconds?)
well I just now moved the thread into the sticky.
Old 08-30-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
yes you can reset when it blinks. Do the same thing as said before.
Old 09-17-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Just a reminder to everyone, the check engine light is a picture of a engine while the maintenence required light says "maint reqd". too many people are getting confused between the 2.
Old 10-24-2005
Registered!!

Hybridia is an unknown quantity at this point
man... I was looking for that, it's an easy fix... thankx!
Old 11-02-2005
Registered!!

GACivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I take mine to Honda when the Maint Required light turns on, just because I am still under warranty, etc. Is this a smart thing to do or not?
Old 11-02-2005
Registered!!

Hybridia is an unknown quantity at this point
I guess it's ok if you have time to kill or do other things at the dealer... but I think it's too easy to just turn it off your self.
Old 03-13-2006
Registered!!

AlpJLFan is an unknown quantity at this point
maintenance required light = give hooonda money
Old 04-29-2006
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for this thread. I just shut off my maintenance required light
Old 05-24-2006
Registered!!

bluestitch is an unknown quantity at this point
dude you rock gearbox
Old 06-21-2006
Registered!!

alpinecivic2 is an unknown quantity at this point
yea, i thought it was my oil change light at first, so i had my oil changed which needed to be done anyway at 9500 miles, but thanks for the info on how to turn it off... it was starting to get annoying very quickly!
Old 06-23-2006
Registered!!

mystery is an unknown quantity at this point
hell yeah that **** worked! one down. one to go(ABS light)...
Old 08-29-2006
Mex
Registered!!

Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
so what happens if it does not turn off after trying everything in the book? I am referring to my MAINT REQ'D light. I start up, it blinks ONCE, then stays steady-burning. i've held the odometer down for up to a minute while turning my car on in the accesory position, then started and held it for another minute... nothing. please help
Old 08-29-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
unplug the cluster?
Old 08-29-2006
Banned

djrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Mex
so what happens if it does not turn off after trying everything in the book? I am referring to my MAINT REQ'D light. I start up, it blinks ONCE, then stays steady-burning. i've held the odometer down for up to a minute while turning my car on in the accesory position, then started and held it for another minute... nothing. please help
well ur supposed to hold it down 20 seconds before u turn on ur car and while holdin it down u start the car and it will go away... thats how my acura is
Old 08-29-2006
Registered!!

JAML is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you for the tip gearbox
Old 08-31-2006
Mex
Registered!!

Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
i unpluged the cluster, i even removed the battery for 2 minutes. the light is still on. again, it just blinks once, then stays steady burning.
Old 08-31-2006
Premium Member

well if it were me, and I have the old style of cluster 01-02 lx/ex or 01-05 dx, i would open it up and break off the led inside. that light is completely useless. maybe you can sneak in a piece of electrical tape from the back to cover it.
Old 10-07-2006
Registered!!

Supa_Fli is an unknown quantity at this point
awsome thread gearbox thanx

and blkdrgn thankx man ive been needin these
Originally Posted by blackdragon
The engine light is like morse code or something. If u can read it, u could know what exactly its telling you. Mine started blinking 2 days ago and it blinked 10 times meaning something to do with my stock intake.

# Detection Item Probable Cause
1 Primary O2 Sensor Open or Short in O2 sensor circuit, bad Primary O2 sensor
3 Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Open or short in MAP sensor circuit, bad MAPS
4 Crankshaft Position Sensor Failed sensor or timing belt slipped, bad CPS
5 Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Reading too low or too high, bad MAP
6 Engine Coolant Temp Circuit Reading too low, high, short or open, bad ECT
7 Throttle Position Circuit Reading too high, low, short or open, bad TPS
8 Crankshaft Position Sensor/
Top Dead Center Sensor/
Cylinder Position Sensor/ CKP/TDC/CYP senso circuitdisconnected,open or short. Bad TDC senor.
9 Cylinder Position Sensor Open or short in CYP circuit, bad CYP sensor
10 Intake Air Temperature Sensor Short or open in AIT circuit, bad AITS
13 Barometric Pressure Sensor Circuit Bad ECM (Barometric sensor)
14 Idle Control System Malfunction Bad IAC valve, bad fast idle thermo valve, Throttle body
17 Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit Short or open in VSS circuit, bad VSS
20 Electrical Load Detector Circuit Short or open in circuit, bad ELD
22 VTEC System Malfunction Short or open in VTEC circuit, bad VTEC solenoid valve, Bad VTEC pressure switch
23 Knock Sensor Circuit Short or open in Knock Sensor circuit, bad Knock Sensor
30 A/T FI Signal A high/low input Bad AFSA line, TCM
31 A/T FI Signal B high/low input Bad AFSB line, TCM
41 Primary Heated O2 Sensor Heater Open or short in Primary O2 sensor heater circuit
45 System too lean/rich Fuel supply system, Primary O2 sensor, MAP sensor, contaminated fuel, valve clearance, exhaust leakage
54 Crankshaft Speed Fluctuation Sensor Open or short in CKF circuit, bad CKF sensor
61 Primary Heated O2 Sensor Slow response, bad O2 sensor, exhaust leak
63 Secondary Heated O2 Sensor Slow response, bad O2 sensor, exhaust leak
65 Secondary Heated O2 Sensor Circuit Open or short in secondary O2 sensor circuit
67 Catalyst System Efficiency System below threshold, bad catalytic converter
70 Automatic Transaxle A/T transmission, A/T FI data line, TCM, ECM
71 Random Misfire (Cyl 1) Ignition system, fuel supply system, MAP sensor, IAC valve, contaminated fuel, lack of fuel, fuel injector, fuel injector circuit, low compression, valve clearance
72 Random Misfire (Cyl 2)
73 Random Misfire (Cyl 3)
74 Random Misfire (Cyl 4)
86 Engine Coolant Temp Circuit Bad ECT sensor, bad cooling system
90 Evap Emission Control System Leak Fuel cap loose, poor vacuum connection, fuel tank, fuel tank pressure sensor, EVAP bypass solenoid valve, EVAP tow-way valve, EVAP control canister vent shut valve, EVAP canister, EVAP purge control solenoid valve
91 Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Circuit Open or short in FTP circuit, Bad fuel tank pressure sensor
Old 01-06-2007
Registered!!

dabflyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
you da man! thanks. of course, if i wasnt a completely lazy 'tard i would have just read the dang manual. hehe.
Old 01-06-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang
Arrow

For the people that are too damn lazy to look in the manual here it is.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	civic 004.jpg
Views:	1280
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	69179   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02872.jpg
Views:	2429
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	69182   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02873.jpg
Views:	3344
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	69183  
Old 01-06-2007
The only Wyoming Redneck on here

2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough
^^^^lol, way to be. i figured this out a long time ago, now whenever a honda comes in for an oil change cuz of the check engine light i reset it and there back soon to get another oil change. hahaha
Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

bcdjr100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks gearbox, I was worried at first when it came on, but I had a feeling it was nothing...

Working first try.. thanks again
Old 08-25-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01civictune is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Maintenance required light

Nice thanks
Old 02-23-2010
Registered!!

ghostofsparta is an unknown quantity at this point

i bless this thread, made me realize how much i dont know anything about cars at all
Old 04-26-2010
Registered!!

DerekxxCore is an unknown quantity at this point

I followed the steps to get rid of this light, and it keeps coming back on! The light will go out for about a half a second then it comes right back on! This is gonna bug the crap out of me does anyone know what this means?
Old 04-26-2010
Premium Member

are you sure its the "maint reqd" light and not something else? hold the trip meter button on the cluster, turn key to ON without starting engine, keep holding button for 20 secs, then turn car back off. next time it should be gone. if not, there may be a problem with the cluster.
Old 04-26-2010
Registered!!

DerekxxCore is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah its right in the middle, says MAINT REQ'D
Old 10-04-2010
Registered!!

grd00 is an unknown quantity at this point

2001 Honda Civic - both low beam headlights stopped working at the same time...high beams ok. Replaced both with new lamps and nothing changed. The maintenance req'd light came on solid (not sure if same exact time lights went or not?! - not my car!), but car is also due for oil change. Didn't blink as normally would for oil change. Could this signal the problem with low beams not working? Previous post listed specific "morse code" (lol) readings for maint. req'd light.

30 A/T FI Signal A high/low input Bad AFSA line, TCM
31 A/T FI Signal B high/low input Bad AFSB line, TCM

I assume this refers to the headlights? If it is, my question is, what specifically? Does this signify an electrical problem on the light switch?

Also regarding oil - checked dipstick and couldn't get consistent reading...it was weird. All over the place, it would pull out clean one time and the next time it had oil all over. No reading whatsoever at the markers. Checked it warm and cold. Thought it might be low - added a quart and it barely registered on the bottom of the dipstick. Didn't DARE put more oil in, had changed oil 2 months ago and no signs of leaking or burning. The proper amount of oil was put in last change - three ppl verified. Any thoughts to what this could be?

Quick Reply: Maintenance required light