Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Transmission - Jerky - Automatic - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ofourcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
My dad's 2004 Accord V6 EX does the exact same thing (automatic as well).

I haven't had any issues with my Civic though, guess I'm just lucky.
Old 09-24-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AntiLoop will become famous soon enough
Had this problem since the day I drove it off the lot. Definately getting a new car at the end of lease.
Old 10-07-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

UltimateWarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by AntiLoop
Had this problem since the day I drove it off the lot. Definately getting a new car at the end of lease.
I would too if I leased it but unfortunately I bought it. I could always sell it and get out from under the payment but with all the miles I drive I'd lose money. So I might as well run this one into the ground and try to get the most out of it. My next car will probably be a Subaru. It was my very first car and I think I am going back to that manufacturer once this one dies! Watch this one last forever with this piece of crap tranny.

I really hate driving this thing...
Old 10-14-2004
Registered!!

savedadogs is an unknown quantity at this point
So I guess this is a well known problem...has anyone got honda to remedy this problem?
Old 10-17-2004
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
Mine does that everytime!
At 45k miles the transmission died and it was replaced with a new one.
With the new transmission I notice that as the tranny was being "broken in" the jerk got worse and worse, just like my first tranny!!!
I have 63K now and I have a good feeling it's going towards the crapper too.
Definitely do not like the auto transmission in the 7th gens.
Old 10-17-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Originally Posted by savedadogs
So I guess this is a well known problem...has anyone got honda to remedy this problem?
Nope, not that I am aware of. I think a class action suit is in order?

Anyone want to get it going??
Old 10-17-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
The tranny is very sensitive. I change my fluid every 15k miles and have an oil cooler. Works wonders and and tranny feels great. Smooth, strong shifts at any rpm, except that glitch when giving it gas without coming to a full stop. Also check the fluid level. Mine was a bit over the full line and wasn't shifting as smooth. I took out a little and now it's great.
Old 10-18-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Originally Posted by gearbox
The tranny is very sensitive. I change my fluid every 15k miles and have an oil cooler. Works wonders and and tranny feels great. Smooth, strong shifts at any rpm, except that glitch when giving it gas without coming to a full stop. Also check the fluid level. Mine was a bit over the full line and wasn't shifting as smooth. I took out a little and now it's great.
Ok, I'll check it sometime. I just changed mine about a month ago and it made no difference at all. Don't get me wrong, it does shift ok but that jerky crap from pressing on the gas really annoys me, almost to the point of selling my car. Of course, someone would probably notice this and not buy it so I'm stuck.

I could always trade it in and lose my shirt which I refuse to do so I am living with it.
Old 11-08-2004
My Baby Daddy

PlasmaGT is on a distinguished road
My car has the same problem. Has anyone come up with a remedy?
Old 11-08-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Just go easy on the gas when you're below 20 mph and trying to accelerate again. Tightening the throttle cable and changing tranny fluid makes it less noticable, altho it's still there. You just have to learn to drive around it. If you can, come to a complete stop before going again, or try not to fall below 20mph.
Old 11-09-2004
My Baby Daddy

Yeah, I've learned to manipulate it so that it doesn't do it. Just hoping someone had figured it out. Thanks
Old 11-09-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

I think these cars need to be recalled, period. There are too many people with the problem and it's not normal. I shouldn't have to baby the car and try to avoid the jerky problem. A transmission should not do this and no other car I've ever had did.

Everyone who has this issue call their dealership and complain. Talk to the service manager only and tell them about all the porblems and that you are not the only one after doing some research. If the SM cannot do anything about it try another dealership. If they all ignore you call the news channels and explain the problem. I'm sure your local news source would love a story on this one. You can show the news this site and they can see all the people having the same issue. Tell them Honda is ignoring the issue and you'll be surprised once Honda does get word of this.

I am close to doing this myself actually. I know this is not right and I feel our transmissions are faulty. Enough said.
Old 11-09-2004
Im the man in the box

Ledbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by UltimateWarrior
I think these cars need to be recalled, period. There are too many people with the problem and it's not normal. I shouldn't have to baby the car and try to avoid the jerky problem. A transmission should not do this and no other car I've ever had did.

Everyone who has this issue call their dealership and complain. Talk to the service manager only and tell them about all the porblems and that you are not the only one after doing some research. If the SM cannot do anything about it try another dealership. If they all ignore you call the news channels and explain the problem. I'm sure your local news source would love a story on this one. You can show the news this site and they can see all the people having the same issue. Tell them Honda is ignoring the issue and you'll be surprised once Honda does get word of this.

I am close to doing this myself actually. I know this is not right and I feel our transmissions are faulty. Enough said.

They can recall the motor also
Old 11-09-2004
Registered!!

EL-Sport is an unknown quantity at this point
I notice this too to some extent on my car, but I really don't think anything is wrong. I think it just has to with the automatic tranny gearing down to stop and then suddenly being forced to upshift as you accelerate to drive away again. I felt the same type of thing on my last 2 automatic Hondas as well (92 Civic, and 00 Acura EL), although I do find the tranny on my 03 EL to be alot smooter (likely due to the its grade logic feature).
Old 11-09-2004
My Baby Daddy

I could personally do without the Grade Logic. It's only been another annoyance the way it downshifts so hard going downhill.
Old 11-09-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Well, I left a detailed message via Email to a local Honda dealer who has a service web site area and did not receive one phone call today from them all day! Go figure. They just simply ignore this issue, always have. Looks like I'll have to show up in person again! I just hate dealing with it anymore.

Be assured, I'll ask why no one ever contacted me. Let's see what lousy excuse they give me this time. I always find it comical.

More to come...

BTW, My brother rode with me the other night and I slowed to a stop sign and then took off without coming to a complete stop and like on cue, the tranny jerked big time and he said "Whoa, what the *ell was that!?" So maybe mine is worse than other's who knows. I just know it's not right and even other people riding with me feel it without even pointing it out. Why the Honda machanic seems to think this is normal is beyond me. I just know I'll never be able to sell it to an individual and that makes me mad. My luck, I'd trade it in to Honda and they would come back and say I have a bad transmission. I would bet my life on it.
Old 11-11-2004
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
If your warranty is expired then I'm sorry.
If you still have valid warranty...try harder to break the tranny so you can get a new one.
Keep it in D3 everytime and use D2 often too.
As soon as it breaks have it towed to the dealership and get a new tranny free under warranty.
Old 11-12-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Well, it's not under warranty anymore. So I guess I should not drive in D3 or D2 then? Or was that an example how to break it?
Old 11-13-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Well, since Honda never bothered to contact me I guess I'll have to just show up and drop it off. With 90K on my car I know they won't work with me so I am expecting the worse, like a new tranny or a rebuild. My questions is this:

Should I pay for a rebuild or just replace the whole thing? Also, will they put the same kind in or are their different trannys for our cars? I'm also getting several opinions. I will take it to a Danco for another quote and compare the two. I know Honda will try to rip me off so I want a second opinion and there is a Danco right down the road from Honda. This might take a few weeks because I have to leave the car each Saturday... I need it for work! So this week I'll leave it at Honda and next week Danco can inspect it.

I'll keep ya posted on the developments!

Is there anyone out there who knows anything about our transmissions? If so, please feel free to comment. Remember, I have the automatic.

Last edited by UltimateWarrior; 11-13-2004 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-13-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Here's some more proof of our crappy Honda transmissions... Read the complaints.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...nsmission.html

Old 11-13-2004
Premium Member

Well, this jerk problem is inherent with all of our trannys. You can't really say it's a defect, because the car is still shifting gears and going.
Old 11-13-2004
Registered!!

dchalifoux7 is an unknown quantity at this point
ha ha.. I thought I was the only one with this problem. I was told it could be a motor mount or in need of cv joints... I really have no idea what it is so I am just driving it alot easier and not being so rough on it. When I get the funds I'll be taking it to the shop. Actually I say that but I will probably get rims, tint and alarm... then maybe take it to the shop... that is so backwards.. Oh well
Old 11-13-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Well, nobody could get me in today so I'll have to put it off another week. Seems like everyone around here needs a week advanced notice! Sheesh. I did talk to someone from Danco and he said they switched to synthetic fluid to help some Honda customers. I guess it's worth a try but I doubt it will help mine. I really think it's shot. It's a lot worse than it use to be so before I switch to synthetic I am still having it looked at. Some of you with less problems might want to try this for smoother shifting.

The Honda dealer was rude and said I'd have to make an appointment for next week sometime. The AAMCO dealer never returned my call. The Danco guy answered and said it was his private cell phone he had rolled over because they weren't open on weekends. At least this guy answered! What's the deal with companies anymore?

I am about ready to trade this in and move on with my life...
Old 11-14-2004
2k1civic.com O. G.

AzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enoughAzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enough
yea i experience the same annoyance. my car is a 2001 EX coupe with 46000 miles. I changed my tranny fluid twice since then with full synthetic. It ***** fine when its warmed up properly. But every now and then i expereince that jerking.
Old 11-15-2004
Registered!!

fuzzylogic426 is an unknown quantity at this point
i have that same jerky feeling with my car (i had it in my 03, but its worse in my 04). i brought my car to a honda dealer a while back for this and some other issues, and they told me that it was normal.

btw..on my car, there's a sound with that jerk. its sort of like a popping sound. does anyone else notice this? or is it just my car? i can only hear it when i have my radio off.

and, im just wondering..what does likeaferio mean when he say's that if you want to break your transmission quicker, leave it in D3 or 2? is it really that bad to use D3 or 2?

Last edited by fuzzylogic426; 11-15-2004 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-16-2004
People Eating Tasty Animals PETA

Gangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to all
I noticed after I put the subs in my trunk this past weekend the jerk got harder... That sucks but the extra weight is making the car handle like crap... so with that said I'm taking it all out.
Old 11-16-2004
Registered!!

CiViCLiZeD714 is an unknown quantity at this point
ehhhh so much for reliable cars. I'm having tranny probs too .

Last edited by CiViCLiZeD714; 11-16-2004 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-16-2004
Registered!!

rckdrmr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by UltimateWarrior
I'll never buy another Honda
yeah... my dad has a 98 accord, and it slowly started to fall apart, leak oil, etc... he mentioned he will never buy a honda again. toyota will be his next choice in which he's had no problems with before. i dunno... to each his or her own i guess.
Old 11-16-2004
Premium Member

My dad got a 92 miata and all that's been replaced since then is the clutch. Nothing else! My mom's 92 accord however...master brake cylinder, joints, tranny ready to go from leaking and can't be repaired (only a matter of time) and more problems. Oh yeah distributor blew and threw off the timing 27 degrees.
Old 11-17-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by n.houstonpimp
I noticed after I put the subs in my trunk this past weekend the jerk got harder... That sucks but the extra weight is making the car handle like crap... so with that said I'm taking it all out.

Subs in the trunk is like driving with your little brother in the car 24/7...
...the car was designed to haul more than 1 person.

An extra 40-50 lbs is close to nothing...I think you're getting paranoid.
Put that BUMP back in there!

Quick Reply: Transmission - Jerky - Automatic - HELP!