Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Transmission - Jerky - Automatic - HELP!

Old 08-17-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UltimateWarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
I'm not trying to baby it anymore. It's a car and should be able to go when you press the gas. I have extended warranty and still haven't used it on anything major. You know I bet if my tranny goes out, the dealer will blame my "aftermarket" tranny cooler
I never get extended warranties on anything. Frankly, I think they are a waste of money but in this case I wish I had. I just have this strange feeling this tranny won't make it long.

Oh well, it's only money!
Old 08-19-2004
Registered!!

imu123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Same problem--- got it fixed today!!!

I had the same problem
I took it to honda today and they told me that they had to reprogram the computer and they even changed my front suspension (because i said it is too ruff) so now the problems gone(smooth and no more jerky shifts) and the car is a lot stiffer (suspension that is)

talk to the dealer they have to fix it....Warranty ---- keep complaining!!!!
Old 08-20-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Originally Posted by imu123
I had the same problem
I took it to honda today and they told me that they had to reprogram the computer and they even changed my front suspension (because i said it is too ruff) so now the problems gone(smooth and no more jerky shifts) and the car is a lot stiffer (suspension that is)

talk to the dealer they have to fix it....Warranty ---- keep complaining!!!!
Um, I have 83k so I am out of warranty. I can give them a call and tell them I have had this problem as long as I had my car and see what happens but I don't think they are going to do it for free. Reprogram the computer huh? Well, I'll see what happens and give them a call. Thanks for the update!
Old 08-22-2004
Registered!!

VTECTypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same problem. Where it jerks. When i took it to honda they said they couldnt find the problem i was talking about. So next time i go im gonna show them my self
Old 08-22-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Yea, same thing here. The Honda techs are probably told to ignore and shrug off the issue. What a shame. You know they have to know there is an issue but every time I mention it to the dealer they play stupid. Makes you mad.
Old 08-22-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I think they all have this problem. Just ease on the gas gently so there is a smoother shift. Sometimes if I time it right and hit the gas right when the tranny is downshifting, I hear a huge clunk sound! I think that's horrible and feels like the tranny is coming loose.
Old 08-22-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
The best solution is adjust your driving, even if it means stopping faster to come to a complete stop just when the light changes to green.
Old 08-22-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Yep, I've resorted to the same habits. I know when it will do it and when I can prevent it from happening now. It's still annoying but I know how to get around it. Like coming to a complete stop at a stop sign, etc. I guess that's a good thing though to do. Maybe the Honda tranny will prevent me from getting a ticket! Yea, that's a positive way to think right?
Old 08-23-2004
Registered!!

VTECTypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
No its not a positive way lol. Just get it fixed we all know its annoying. Theres no way around the jerking problem around 5-10mph. Just take the honda mechanic person or whoever to show them the problem then they will fix the problem.
Old 08-23-2004
Registered!!

PBussman is an unknown quantity at this point
my tranny is an auto and I've didn't have that many problems with any of my previous fords and my Neighbor has on 03 focus bought it about a week after I got my civic and the only thing that he has had done was oil changes. and I don't care if this is just a defect of our cars its reoccuring in my and apertly in other vechicles from what i have found out and this is not acceptible as far as my $20,000 is conserced
Old 08-23-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Originally Posted by VTECTypeR
No its not a positive way lol. Just get it fixed we all know its annoying. Theres no way around the jerking problem around 5-10mph. Just take the honda mechanic person or whoever to show them the problem then they will fix the problem.
If you say so... I'll let ya know the excuse they give just for kicks. It should be the typical, humerous reply.

Last edited by UltimateWarrior; 08-23-2004 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-23-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Originally Posted by PBussman
my tranny is an auto and I've didn't have that many problems with any of my previous fords and my Neighbor has on 03 focus bought it about a week after I got my civic and the only thing that he has had done was oil changes. and I don't care if this is just a defect of our cars its reoccuring in my and apertly in other vechicles from what i have found out and this is not acceptible as far as my $20,000 is conserced
Take it back to the dealer and demand your money back unless they fix it. Like that's gonna happen. IMO I'd like to see a class-action suit get going! You know Honda has to be aware of this and all they do is blow it off. Once again, write Honda. Show them you are disgusted and take it back to the dealer every week if you have to. Sooner or later they will get tired of seeing you. Maybe they will address the issue if we speak up loud enough. Hey, why not? If it is a known defect that cannot be corrected then Honda owes a lot of people a lot of money don't you think? I don't feel my car was worth the 17k I paid if this is something that we have to live with.
Old 08-23-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by UltimateWarrior
Take it back to the dealer and demand your money back unless they fix it. Like that's gonna happen. IMO I'd like to see a class-action suit get going! You know Honda has to be aware of this and all they do is blow it off. Once again, write Honda. Show them you are disgusted and take it back to the dealer every week if you have to. Sooner or later they will get tired of seeing you. Maybe they will address the issue if we speak up loud enough. Hey, why not? If it is a known defect that cannot be corrected then Honda owes a lot of people a lot of money don't you think? I don't feel my car was worth the 17k I paid if this is something that we have to live with.
I think you all got lemons or something. My tranny is fine, and has always been fine. I feel the 17k I paid for this car was worth it IMO. Yes there are some things I wish were better, but these are economy cars, what more can you ask for besides a better tranny as most want.
Old 08-23-2004
Im the man in the box

Ledbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud of
i noticed it the first week i had my vic cuz when im ridin around town (25 mph speed zone) ill just take my foot off the gas and it would jerk like crazy. i tightend the throttle cable and it was fine
Old 08-23-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Originally Posted by ledbelly
i noticed it the first week i had my vic cuz when im ridin around town (25 mph speed zone) ill just take my foot off the gas and it would jerk like crazy. i tightend the throttle cable and it was fine
I did have a loose cable but that did not solve my issue. It did help with the lag I always experienced when I had to hit the gas to pass someone for instance but again, it's unrelated to the issue some of us have. Lemons? Maybe, who knows. I am quite certain there are more than just the few that spoke up here who do experience this jerky transmission. Maybe it's not on a large scale basis but just from the few people who responded I know it's not just me. Call me crazy, call my car a lemon, that isn't going to change my transmission. I think Honda needs to address this, that's my point and always has been. Until they do I will rant and rave. It helps me sleep after a good vent, what can I say.

All we can do is apply pressure to the dealers to correct the issue for those who do have it. Unfortunately my car is out of warranty so it's a little harder for me to get it fixed even though it has done this from early on. I just kept ignoring it. Please, if you own a new Honda that is still under warranty get it fixed. Make the dealer ride with you and prove to them it jerks. If they can't fix it, demand your money back or another car! Why not?

Remember, one person can make a difference.

Old 08-23-2004
Registered!!

redspeed03 is an unknown quantity at this point
ya im having the same problem
Old 08-23-2004
Premium Member

Check your tranny fluid level by warming up the car fully. After driving around, turn off the car and check the dipstick. It should be at the top mark. If it's higher, you need to remove some fluid. Overfill can cause alot of tranny problems--especially shifting.
Old 08-23-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Check your tranny fluid level by warming up the car fully. After driving around, turn off the car and check the dipstick. It should be at the top mark. If it's higher, you need to remove some fluid. Overfill can cause alot of tranny problems--especially shifting.
Hey man, is it that difficult to flush/change your tranny fluid? I saw some DIY the other day and it didn't look too hateful. I think with our transmissions we might just have to change it more often and really keep up with it. I wonder what the best fluid is on the market and if that might help matters. I'll check that level out when I get home tomorrow, thanks.

p.s. I don't have one of the good floor jacks or even brace jacks to prop the car up on so I can't do much yet. I only have those long, black heavy-gauge plastic ramps you drive up on for oil changes. I got them at Wal-Mart years ago and they work great. I am also going to get a service manual so I can do more to my car. Hell, a timing belt is $19.95 but look what it costs to have it replaced! Not that I would attempt a timing belt change, just making a point.
Old 08-24-2004
Premium Member

Doing a tranny fluid change is easy. All you do is loosen a bolt, let fluid drain, tighten the bolt, and pour new fluid in. The hardest part is not overfilling. Just have to drive it (or put it in drive with e-brake) until the car warms up. Tehn turn off and check fluid level. It should be at full after the car is warm. And no I didn't need jackstands.
Old 08-24-2004
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Doing a tranny fluid change is easy. All you do is loosen a bolt, let fluid drain, tighten the bolt, and pour new fluid in. The hardest part is not overfilling. Just have to drive it (or put it in drive with e-brake) until the car warms up. Tehn turn off and check fluid level. It should be at full after the car is warm. And no I didn't need jackstands.
Damn I had to jack my car up a bit just so it would be easier.
Old 08-24-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

How much fluid does this normally take after it drains? Are we talking so many ounces for a basic comparision? This is just so I get an idea. What happens if you overflow? Oh yea, just drain out some. Doh! Sorry, been a long day...

ps. Sooo, there is no "flush" action. Like blowing it through to clean it better. I always though a flush and fill meant they used a little pressure to clean it. Maybe not. So, just drianing is ok huh? Interesting.
Old 08-24-2004
Premium Member

Bad idea to actually flush it out, cause the tranny components will not like it when you start the car without fluid in there. Takes roughly 3 quarts to fill up. Just be cautious in adding towards the end. Remember, you measure the amount right after the car is warmed up. Cold will give you an inaccurate reading.
Old 08-24-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

I may give it a shot this weekend. It's been a while since Honda changed mine. BTW, do you have any ideas what the best brands are to use for tranny fluid for our cars? I'll do some searches also, see if I can find any comments on this before someone scolds me for asking!

(Not that you ever have, just a general comment)

Old 08-24-2004
Registered!!

I may give it a shot this weekend. It's been a while since Honda changed mine. BTW, do you have any ideas what the best brands are to use for tranny fluid for our cars? I'll do some searches also, see if I can find any comments on this before someone scolds me for asking!

best would be Honda Tranny fluid
Old 08-24-2004
Premium Member

Agreed. This is one thing I wouldn't look for something else.
Old 08-26-2004
EM2/DC5/LS1

spyder2333 is an unknown quantity at this point

yea i had the same problem and i realized it was my motor mounts i fixed only one but the knocking lessened a little..
Old 08-26-2004