Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Major, Mystery Problem!!

Old 10-16-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Major, Mystery Problem!!

ive been having a problem with my fuel that no one can figure out. it won't show up on a diagnostic and honda can't find the problem. when im driving usually in 1st 2nd or 3rd gear my car will jump for a second or the rpm's will drop to 0 for a second and i lose my Vtec for like 15 seconds. I tried replacing the throttle body but it was no use and made no difference.
Old 10-16-2003
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
Kinda confusing here ... What do you mean by jump? And if your RPM's drop to 0, are you saying your car stalls?

Also not sure how you can tell that you don't have VTEC ... it's so weak on our cars that I can never tell when mine kicks in
Old 10-16-2003
Registered!!

By jump i mean it feels like i just tapped the brake when the car jumps. that sort of feeling. The rpm needle drops to 0 and then jumps back up to where it should be. but the car doesn't stall out it only stops accelerating for a moment. and I know i loose vtec because after the car jumps if i put my foot on the gas pedal it accelerates at the same rate from 3,ooo rpms to 7,000 but after a few seconds of constantly keeping my foot on the gas i feel it come back and start to pull alot harder
Old 10-16-2003
Registered!!

I need help fast! our cars are already slow but mine is now a civic SS (super slow!)
Old 10-17-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like you have a stumble. Thats a computer problem. Take it in and tell them to change the computer. Then see if it works.
Old 10-17-2003
Registered!!

changing the computer is alot of money just on a hunch does anyone know how much a computer goes for?
Old 10-17-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
So what you're saying is the car is out of warranty.
Its not really a hunch... a lot of Mini Cooper S owners reported the same symptoms (car just momentarily "stalling" then coming back to life, the big jolt, etc....) and it was tracked to a problem with the computer malfunctioning. Its not just a guess.
If its not underwarranty, then you're probably just gonna have to take it somewhere and have it looked at (not at the dealer).
Old 10-17-2003
Registered!!

I've taken it to alot of places other than the dealer and they all say they can't find the problem. it's doesn't show a code for the problem on the diagnostic. cause the ceck engine light comes and goes. and even when the engine light is on they can't find a code. How much does a computer run? sounds like that might be the problem.
Old 10-17-2003
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm assuming that when you say you need to "replace the computer", you're just talking about the ECU chip ?

Here's the complete parts catalog for the coupe ... although I'm not sure if the computer(?) is listed in there.

http://www.7thgencivic.com/downloads...rts_Manual.pdf
Old 10-17-2003
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
The big box with all the computer stuff in it is around $1200!
Old 10-19-2003
Registered!!

Does anyone know where i can find the price of the computer online?
Old 10-22-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PESTLNC is an unknown quantity at this point
Before you replaced it, you should try resetting it. Disconnect the negative battery cable for about 15 minutes. Hook it back up and let the car idle for 10 minutes or so. Then take it for a ride to see if the problem is still there.

On a side note, could his symptoms be caused by water in the gas?
Old 10-24-2003
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
it may not be a computer, it could be the throttle position sensor out of alignment