Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Cracked Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
Cracked Windshield

I've got a crack on my windshield right above the wiper, its y shaped and is about the size of a nickel. I got it from some road work being done. I was wondering if there was anything that I could hide it with to make it look better or get rid of it, and what do I do if it got bigger???[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

Thnx
Old 10-02-2002
Registered!!

RunawaySoul is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd take it to a glass shop ASAP. I cracked my windshield on my last car, had it done but not before it got too big to dissappear. I don't remember exact prices, but I do remember kind of wincing when I saw the bill. It's better than a new windshield though.
Old 10-03-2002
Registered!!

2Hottie is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree...the crack will only get worse the more the car moves...and depending on your insurance deductible, be prepared to pay all of your deductible since replacement windshields for new cars are expensive...

2Hottie
Old 10-03-2002

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG]

Thanks yall, but unfortunatly I've got a bunch of stuff to do and I won't be able to have it done any time soon....

I guess my cars is just gonna have to wait....

Is that gonna hurt when I try to trade it in for the new Accord?
Old 10-03-2002
Registered!!

1955 is an unknown quantity at this point
the crack is gonna get worse when u wash it in a hot summer day cus the water and the hot glass dont match,ur accord sales manager will knock off few hundreds buck off ur trade -in cus they have to replace it to make a sale( thats if the apprasier can spot the crack)
Old 10-04-2002
tok
Registered!!

tok is an unknown quantity at this point

my windshield gotta crack above the right wiper also [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]
gonna take a pic later today
Old 10-04-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: CivicsRdBest
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG]

Thanks yall, but unfortunatly I've got a bunch of stuff to do and I won't be able to have it done any time soon....

I guess my cars is just gonna have to wait....

Is that gonna hurt when I try to trade it in for the new Accord?[hr]

Sorry bud, but that will definitely hurt when you trade in for an Accord...

2Hottie
Old 10-07-2002

Which would cost more? Replacing the windsheild or taking the blow from the trade?

Would a replaced windshield affect the trade also???
Old 10-07-2002
Registered!!

IMO, they would prob be about the same, but you know dealers, they find any reason to knock serious amounts of money off a trade. The replaced windshield won't affect the trade, the only way it will affect a sale is if you are selling it outright as a private sale, then the people will ask questions..but dealers never really ask questions, they just take the trade...

2Hottie
Old 10-07-2002

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]Thanx a lot!!![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-08-2002
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
I know for a fact in Florida that there is no deductable on your insurance to replace the windshield, even if you have just PIP and Liability. A lot of people don't know this and your insurance company won't tell you unless you ask. Call a windshield shop and ask them if your state does this.
Old 10-08-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: solar
I know for a fact in Florida that there is no deductable on your insurance to replace the windshield, even if you have just PIP and Liability. A lot of people don't know this and your insurance company won't tell you unless you ask. Call a windshield shop and ask them if your state does this.[hr]
Yeah, it definitely depends on the state...trust me, I have to work with auto ins everday working in a hospital...but anyways, my bro had his windshield replaced on his '95 Cavalier due to a stone flying up and hitting it..and we inquired with our agent, and they clearly stated that you have to pay the deductible...so it all depends on the state I guess...

2Hottie
Old 10-09-2002
Registered!!

norweejunwood is an unknown quantity at this point
the guys at the glass shop can fix a "star" like yours without replacing the windshield. they inject some kind of polyfill that solidifies the crack and keeps it from getting bigger. you will still see the star but at least you know your windshield won't blow out. I did that on mine about 4 years ago and it's still the same size.

the repair cost about $25 - 40 but the new windshield would've been around $225 - $250. call around for best price. most of these dudes come right to your house or workplace.

Old 10-11-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: norweejunwood
the guys at the glass shop can fix a "star" like yours without replacing the windshield. they inject some kind of polyfill that solidifies the crack and keeps it from getting bigger. you will still see the star but at least you know your windshield won't blow out. I did that on mine about 4 years ago and it's still the same size.

the repair cost about $25 - 40 but the new windshield would've been around $225 - $250. call around for best price. most of these dudes come right to your house or workplace.[hr]
Wow dude, that's a really good price for a windshield!!! When my brothers cracked on his 96 Cavalier, we shopped around and found a guy that came to the house to repair it. Cost about $1100 total to fix it, so that's a really good price!

2Hottie
Old 11-11-2002

It cracked......

Now its like a line that runs along the place where the vent goes....
Its aboout 2/3 the size of my windshield. (lengthwise)

I still haven't been able to fix it.
Old 11-11-2002
Registered!!

neoretromax is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: CivicsRdBest
It cracked......

Now its like a line that runs along the place where the vent goes....
Its aboout 2/3 the size of my windshield. (lengthwise)

I still haven't been able to fix it.[hr]

hmmph lesson learned the hard way. was it because of a cold morning and you turned on the defroster that cracked it finally?
Old 11-17-2002

It cracked cause of the constant temp changes. It even cracked a second time.
Well, I really never had the time to fix it untill recently....

Its all good now, and CLEARER