Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Glaze?

Old 07-08-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amys2K2Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Glaze?

Okay Im a little confused, see i washed and waxed my car this morning and i used rubbing compound not knowing what it would do to my paint. I went and read all the posts about compound but none really say what i can do to fix he damage i have already caused.

The Compound left a white sort of look on my black car and i was wondering what i can do to fix it. I read something about Glaze? What kind should i use? where can i get it from?
Thanks for your help!!

Amy
Old 07-08-2002
Registered!!

Soulphire is an unknown quantity at this point
Dude,

First off If you used rubbing compound i pray that you used a clear coat safe one. You may have totally screwed your paint up though. Rubbing compound is used to remove medium damage to high damage scratches from the paint and should not be used in the place of wax unless your paint is severely oxidized. All is not lost though. I would try Meguiars product number 2 from there 3 step project. It is a polish and may restore a nice luster to the paint. I would then put on a coat of meguiars step 3 carnuba wax or Meguiars gold class to bring back the lustre a little more and also put a protective layer on the paint. In the future please dont use rubbing compound or any compound in place of wax. Compound should be reserved for the removal of scratches.
Old 07-08-2002
Registered!!

2Hottie is an unknown quantity at this point
That sucks! The best thing I have heard to do after using rubbing compound is to use Meguiar's Show Car Glaze, # 7 I think...its in a tan container...you should try and get some 3M Swirl/Scratch Reducer...rub that on first, wipe it off with a cotton terry cloth then rub on some glaze and let it sit for a while so the oils can soak into the paint...then take it off and follw up with a nice coat of Gold Class wax, then you should be okay! Be more careful next time!

2Hottie

p.s...you can get these products at a Pep Boys or Auto Zone, any auto store really...
Old 07-08-2002
Registered!!

Thanks Guys!

Now that i look at my car in the sunlight, it looks like there is this dry residue, white cloudy stuff all over. What happened!! Geez nothing is going right for me today. Ive Waxed my car before and this never happened but now its all over.

Do you know what all this could be? Sorry about all this!

Amy
Old 07-08-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civicdude will become famous soon enough
Amy, WHat kind of rubbing compound did you use?? Was it Clear Coat compatible?? WHat brand?
Old 07-08-2002
Registered!!

I used Mother Rubbing Compound....it was in a white plastic container and the compound was red. I dont know if it was clear coat compatible because when it ruined my car i threw it away because i was so upset.

If all else fails, I work at Honda so I can have the detail dept. look at it and try to fix it but im sure it will cost me more than just doing it myself.

Amy
Old 07-09-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civicdude will become famous soon enough
I dont think that Mothers makes rubbing compound anymore....so if it was mothers compound then it was an old product and might not of been clear coat compatible...You may of damaged your paint where it will be next to impossible to fix. Next time you are going to do something to the car, make sure the product is clear coat compatible.
Old 07-11-2002
Registered!!

pdxbiker is an unknown quantity at this point
If the rubbing compound did cause damage and hopefully that it did not remove all the clearcoat, then you can use Meguiar's fine cut cleaner with a rotary buffer set at about 2500 - 3000 rpm with a foam pad. This will restore the surface so it is smooth again, if your clearcoat is really thin than this may not be the option. After you use fine cut cleaner apply polish than wax. If you don't have a rotary buffer than you may want to have a pro do it. Since your car is black it will be pretty hard to get it back in shape since dark color cars are really hard to get perfect again since it shows everything.