Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Hood protection?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bikergofast is an unknown quantity at this point
Hood protection?

Not sure what section this fits in best, but I want to protect the front edge of my new hood, maybe the first 6-8inches or so. Has anyone used that clear stick on 3M stuff? I've used it on motorcycles and it's great for keeping road grit from scuffing headlights and plastics, what about hoods? Anyone got a source for it for cars?
(not looking at one of those heavy plastic deflectors btw)
Old 09-13-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Hood protection?

Hood bra would protect.

I have seen this clear stuff (like a wax) that you put on the front of your car to protect it but I can't think of what it is called. If I find I will post.
Old 09-13-2015
Registered!!

Bikergofast is an unknown quantity at this point

I was just looking it now
http://www.nochip.ca/pages/catalogue
this is a Canadian seller but there's US as well. Think I'm going to try it.
Old 09-13-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Looks like what you are looking for. I think it's worth a try.

The stuff I was thinking of was a paste that you applied but that looks like it might be better.
Old 09-16-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Nate, I believe you're thinking about paint sealants. They're made of synthetic polymers unlike wax which is typically carnauba wax derived from a palm tree.

I just started looking at various paint sealants to protect my restored carbon fiber hood. Waxes tend to last maybe a month or 2, whereas some paint sealants claim they protect as long as a year. I'm currently testing out Griot's One Step Sealant, one that claims lasts up to a year. Another one I was looking at was Chemical Guys' Jet Seal, another sealant that claims it lasts up to a year.

My recent experience is they're much easier to apply than wax. Apply, let dry to a haze for about an hour, wipe off excess. No excessive buffing to ensure you don't leave swirls and the excess came off almost effort-free, unlike waxes I've used which require a decent amount of elbow grease to make it not look like crap.

http://www.autogeek.net/qude101.html

What OP is looking for is that 3M Scotchguard Clear Bra stuff. I found a
12" x 60" roll on amazon for $40, prime eligible 12" x 60" roll on amazon for $40, prime eligible

If you want something cut for you car, I found this website. I didn't know if you had a coupe or a sedan, so I chose coupe.
http://invisiblemask.com/cgi-bin/pro...X&series=COUPE

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 09-16-2015 at 01:23 AM.
Old 09-18-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

they make clear plastic sticker inserts that would probably be alot thicker and more protective then that spray on stuff.
Old 11-20-2015
Registered!!

sandergreen2015 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bikergofast
Not sure what section this fits in best, but I want to protect the front edge of my new hood, maybe the first 6-8inches or so. Has anyone used that clear stick on 3M stuff? I've used it on motorcycles and it's great for keeping road grit from scuffing headlights and plastics, what about hoods? Anyone got a source for it for cars?
(not looking at one of those heavy plastic deflectors btw)
Xpel has a newer film out now which happens to be self healing and seems to get rid of the buildup of swirls. I watched the demo and it is quite impressive. Consider upgrading your car for maximum protection, like the adding a lip kit on your bumper. That will protect your bumper from scratches.

Last edited by sandergreen2015; 11-23-2015 at 06:34 PM.