Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

what to put on headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006
You bought a used dog??

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
def01tones will become famous soon enough
what to put on headlights?

i was wondering if there is any type of wax or something that i could put on my heads to keep them from getting damaged from the sun? u know how they start to get foggy or turn yellow...i dont want that. when i waxed my hood with some miguiers wax, i did the lights too but that didnt last. anything to prevent this from happening???
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
Try some wolfgang sealant, and check out some products at autogeek.net.
Old 05-11-2006
You bought a used dog??

def01tones will become famous soon enough
^^^that exactly what i was looking for. thanks
Old 05-11-2006

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
I regularly polish my lights with Meguiars PlastX. Its great at removing any yellowing and defects as well.
Old 05-12-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
plastix FTW but it is a repeat process...nothing you buy will be permanent

and plastix didn't get it all like the pitting but it did make it a lil less noticable...

Last edited by shroomster; 05-12-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-12-2006

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
On lights that have REALLY bad pitting and/or yellowing problems, I take my DA and turn it upside down in a vise, put the plastx on it on a polishing pad, and move the light on there. It makes it much easier and gets great results.

Last edited by soonercivic; 05-12-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-12-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
whats a DA?
Old 05-12-2006

Dual Action Polisher. You will see alot of people posting PC DA, thats Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher.
Old 05-22-2006
Registered!!

MeguiarsEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
What condition are the lights in? Are they oxidized to be begin with? If they are oxidize this might be the reason the wax didn't last. Waxing is pretty much all you can do to plastic head lights.

Originally Posted by def01tones
i was wondering if there is any type of wax or something that i could put on my heads to keep them from getting damaged from the sun? u know how they start to get foggy or turn yellow...i dont want that. when i waxed my hood with some miguiers wax, i did the lights too but that didnt last. anything to prevent this from happening???
Old 05-23-2006
Registered!!

urwhat is just really niceurwhat is just really niceurwhat is just really niceurwhat is just really niceurwhat is just really nice
use plexus plastic cleaner protectant & polish. it makes clear plastic so shiny and smooth it isnt even funny. plus it isnt harsh like otehr chemicals that would make your lights scratched up/foggy. NEVER USE PAPER TOWEL ON PLASTIC! paper towel is rough and will scratch up plastic. use the cleanest cotton or better microfiber towels for plastic. its also good to use on your gauge cluster, tail lights, anything thats clear plastic. dont use it on glass. it just makes a mess and its a bitch to get off.
Old 05-24-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i just use microfiber towel and wax with whatever you want. keep them new, then you wont have a problem.
Old 05-24-2006
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
You ever waxed your gauge cluster or any thing in the interiorLOL
Old 05-24-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
no but maybe i should?
Old 05-24-2006
Registered!!

I was thinking that I might try it out, I mean it would just help keep things cleaner. it would prob last awhile too.
Old 05-31-2006
Registered!!

urwhat is just really niceurwhat is just really niceurwhat is just really niceurwhat is just really niceurwhat is just really nice
just make sure the chemical is not abrasive and will not interfere with the chemicals of the plastic.. plastic can melt or fog if you use something too harsh on it. if you have a local tap plastics. stop by there and see what they say to use. There is also this thing called novus. there is a multi step system in which you can even buff out scratches from plastic. but if you just use step one, its a cleaner/polish. i still prefer using plexus for every day cleaning though.
Old 05-31-2006
Registered!!

paramthegreat is an unknown quantity at this point
I brought my civic used and the lights are foggy and yellow. I really want to bring the shine back to them. So what do you use on headlights that are already yellow to bring them back to clear
Old 05-31-2006

Meguiars PlastX is great. Its by far the best clear plastic cleaner I have ever used.

Here is an example of PlastX before and after.

Last edited by soonercivic; 05-31-2006 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-31-2006
Registered!!

depotcivic has a spectacular aura aboutdepotcivic has a spectacular aura aboutdepotcivic has a spectacular aura about
do you have to take out headlight and clean from within...

or apply from out side
Old 05-31-2006

On the headlights you should just do the outside. The inside should be fine.
Old 05-31-2006
Registered!!

depotcivic has a spectacular aura aboutdepotcivic has a spectacular aura aboutdepotcivic has a spectacular aura about
cool shyt
Old 06-12-2006
Registered!!

this just came out:
http://www.autogeek.net/plastik-lens-cleaning.html
Old 12-22-2013
Registered!!

douglase454 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: what to put on headlights?

I have used Mothers, Meguiers, Turtle, and other lens cleaning kits with poor results! I am afraid of damaging the paint or over sanding the plastic! Before thaey got real bad i did use the pasticX stuff but that needed redoing every 2 weeks and eventually they got worse ( I may have missed a few cleanings) The lights were never very bright o beging with and I was thinking of replacing them and going to HID (sorry for the poor spelling - one of my weak suits)
Old 12-23-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: what to put on headlights?

points for adding info. points out for reviving a body long thought dead, from 7 years ago. drop points even since car care products change a lot in a short span of time.
Old 12-25-2013
Registered!!

but-teg--98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: what to put on headlights?

Use Mother's Mag Polish. They will look brand new.