Canada East Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland

Ways to prevent car from being TOWED?

Old 11-14-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FurBall is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Ways to prevent car from being TOWED?

Last Friday I had my fricken car TOWED near Queen St, as I parked in an area that required a permit (after 10pm).....

I went to the police station and they told me that it was towed and where to pick it up... $95!!! PLUS the $20 parking ticket!

I was then thinking, as I always thought this would work......

- Can someone tow you if you have your parking brake up?? I mean, if they lift from the front, your rear brakes are locked. If they can, would this SERIOUSLY fock up your brakes??

- Can someone tow you if you had your wheels turned all the way to one side??? (with The Club, if it helps). Would someone be able to tow your *** if you did both the parking brake and the wheel turning?

Sure, there's the flatbed option, but usually that's for extreme circumstances....
Old 11-14-2003
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Dude, they don't care about your ride, and they always have a way to get out of any responsibility. I've heard of people with lowered rides getting towed and their rear bumpers/lips were mashed to all hell when they picked them up or exhausts focked up...
I hope I never have to get towed.....unless I get a flatbed I'm guaranteed my car is screwed.
Old 11-14-2003
Registered!!

XxJDMCivicxX is an unknown quantity at this point
It's good to have tow hooks on the front or rear bumper of your car that why if you do get towed you won't screwed. The towing company that is hired by the city to tow you car is not responsible for any damage cuz your in a no parking zone happened to my friend scratched/chipped his whole authentic mugen kit for his 99 lude he brought them to court and still lost.
Old 11-14-2003
i want a baby hummer :)

babychai is an unknown quantity at this point
when i was working downtown, at lunch near richmond/university i saw this accord being towed... mega noise... as it passed me, there was a burning smell and i saw sparks flying near the wheels/brakes...

it was then when me and my friends stood there pointing at it that the driver of the towtruck got out and then put some wheels under the towed car....

paying $100 is nothing compared to the damages it would cost you to prevent your car from being towed...
Old 11-15-2003
Registered!!

therealbenzo is an unknown quantity at this point
Get a two way pager alarm and a strong right hook, saved my 2000 si a couple weeks ago from some low life.
Edit: If you have the parking break on on they pop the lock, open the door and release it.

Last edited by therealbenzo; 11-15-2003 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-15-2003
Registered!!

FurBall is an unknown quantity at this point
Forgot.... Babychai is right.... If the rear wheels are REALLY locked and dragging, they can always spend the extra effort and put those rear wheelie things on your rear wheels, and lift from the front of car...

In any case you're focked
Old 11-15-2003
Registered!!

MORG655 is on a distinguished road
I know exactly how to prevent your car from getting towed. If anyone is interested in my revelations...just ask and you will be told all the answers!! Ok I just tell you.......don't park where it's illegal, jackass!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2003
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Well DUH.
Old 11-16-2003
Registered!!

vistec is an unknown quantity at this point
good idea!
Old 11-16-2003
Registered!!

AznSaint is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by MORG655
I know exactly how to prevent your car from getting towed. If anyone is interested in my revelations...just ask and you will be told all the answers!! Ok I just tell you.......don't park where it's illegal, jackass!!!!!!!!!!!

CAN I BE YOUR FRIEND?????

Old 11-16-2003
Registered!!

NoSpleeny is an unknown quantity at this point
amen
Old 11-18-2003
Registered!!

scsGrumPyDriveR is an unknown quantity at this point
If you car is lowered, they'll bring in the flat bed BUT that takes 2 hours. If they mess up your car, the towing company is responsible and if they won't pay up, just bring them to small claims court.

I got my car towed too and the tow truck driver gave me a ride down near union and we were talking.

I asked him about the turning the wheel on one side and he said it didn't matter. He can still tow it.
I think the ebrake only affects the front (not too sure) but he said, you can still tow it. =)
Old 11-18-2003
Registered!!

I doubt the tow company is responsible for damages to your vehicle.. It's like a parking garage.. by entering the parking garage.. the parking garage is not responsible for any damages to your vehicle..

I was going down Jarvis St around 4 PM on Monday... and close to Mount Pleasent and Jarvis.. there was this VW.. lowered to the ground.. parked illegally on the right side of the street... (2 lanes going south bound at the time and 3 going north)... anyways.. needless to say.. it was blocking traffic.. and it was being towed.. I was cheering! Stupid illegally parked ****ers! Park on the side street!

The VW was a VW golf that was lowered and the bumper was touching the ground when they were towing it away. (they had the back up.. probably cuz the person put the e-brake on but the car is in neutral.. so might as well tow it from front first! I'd love to see the damages to that front bumper after the tow job! The car was being towed and the parking police with the black and blue pants were there giving it a ticket too!
Old 11-18-2003
Registered!!

Connie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by TeLLy
Dude, they don't care about your ride, and they always have a way to get out of any responsibility. I've heard of people with lowered rides getting towed and their rear bumpers/lips were mashed to all hell when they picked them up or exhausts focked up...
I hope I never have to get towed.....unless I get a flatbed I'm guaranteed my car is screwed.
They would still probably screw it up trying to get it up onto the flat bed......
Old 11-19-2003
Registered!!

seijin_av is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by NoSpleeny
I doubt the tow company is responsible for damages to your vehicle.. It's like a parking garage.. by entering the parking garage.. the parking garage is not responsible for any damages to your vehicle..
actually... the parking garage people can be liable if there is neglect on their part.

it's just like on amusement rides... they say they arent liable but if they screwed up while building the ferris wheel and it breaks off and starts rolling (i've always wanted to see that ) there is neglect on their part, hence they are responsible.
Old 11-20-2003
Registered!!

IRONMAN is an unknown quantity at this point
I know the feeling. I went through the samething on my birthday. When I left the club, I noticed my car was gone. I had to walk from the club(G_SPOT) all the way University and Lakeshore. I dunno if there is a way to stop tow trucks cause I also locked my steering wheel and pulled the handbrake. "WORST BIRTHDAY EVER"
Old 11-23-2003
Registered!!

AzimuthX is an unknown quantity at this point
Put the car in gear? I would install many sirens around the vehicle, anything over 160 db will cause damage to the ear drums. With the help of a tilt sensor and a pager alarm, it will delay the towtruck driver (if they appreciate their ears) and you can run for your life. The Compustar range is really good, especially with a good lithium battery. I was at math school waiting for my dad and I couldnt find the car (no cell) so I just queried the car, found out they were still at Market Village buying groceries.
Old 11-23-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by AzimuthX
Put the car in gear? I would install many sirens around the vehicle, anything over 160 db will cause damage to the ear drums. With the help of a tilt sensor and a pager alarm, it will delay the towtruck driver (if they appreciate their ears) and you can run for your life. The Compustar range is really good, especially with a good lithium battery. I was at math school waiting for my dad and I couldnt find the car (no cell) so I just queried the car, found out they were still at Market Village buying groceries.
That's illegal...

1. You would injure innocent bystandards around the car...
2. Business law prevents you from intentionally harming a trespasser. Even if the trespasser is breaking into your house or vehicle.. you are not allowed to intentionally hurt them.
Old 11-23-2003
BAD MON

Booohahaha is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by NoSpleeny
That's illegal...

1. You would injure innocent bystandards around the car...
2. Business law prevents you from intentionally harming a trespasser. Even if the trespasser is breaking into your house or vehicle.. you are not allowed to intentionally hurt them.
dang that means if u found some one in ur house robbing you, you couldnt even open a can of whoop ***
Old 11-23-2003
Registered!!

Sadly but true.. it is illegal to set up .50 caliber turrets in your house aiming at windows.. so when somebody breaks in.. it blows them into pieces.