General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

how do you know if you have a bad clutch?

Old 12-11-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
how do you know if you have a bad clutch?

yeah how do you know if you have a bad clutch, what are the signs and how could you test for one. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-11-2002
00 Hatchback Owner

Gryphin is an unknown quantity at this point
its hard to shift gears........ it gets stuck , just doesnt want to move , the normal things
Old 12-11-2002
Registered!!

asianmatrix02 is an unknown quantity at this point
mine tends to be diff. in shifting in 1st and 2nd gears both at a stop but the rest r smooth. it happens once in a while at red lights and i would have my clutch disengaged all the way. i was thinking of taking it to dealer but don't have time and wait for stupid dealer to fix it. right now it works fine. i only have 5300 mi. on it and i don't burn out often, but i do kick in vtec once in a while. so is this a bad clutch or something else? anyone else have this problem?
Old 12-11-2002
Registered!!

doublins is an unknown quantity at this point
actually, a worn clutch would not at all affect the actual changing of gears in the transmission- if you have trouble getting into gear or grinding, chances are you have a bad synchro.

When a clutch goes bad, it will start to slip- that is, you engage the gear, step on the gas, and the clutch fails to provide the friction necessary to lock the drivetrain. Your engine may race, but your car will not seem to be moving like it should. Particularly in 1st & 2nd gear.

This is usually also accompanied by that unforgettable "burning clutch" smell- once you smell it once, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Remember- the clutch is independant from the actual gears in the transmission- it merely locks the drivetrain from the engine to the transmission. If you have trouble SHIFTING gears- sticking, grinding, etc, it's the TRANNY.
If you have slipping- it's the clutch.

Hope this helped.

-C
Old 12-11-2002
Registered!!

doublins is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: asianmatrix02
mine tends to be diff. in shifting in 1st and 2nd gears both at a stop but the rest r smooth. it happens once in a while at red lights and i would have my clutch disengaged all the way. i was thinking of taking it to dealer but don't have time and wait for stupid dealer to fix it. right now it works fine. i only have 5300 mi. on it and i don't burn out often, but i do kick in vtec once in a while. so is this a bad clutch or something else? anyone else have this problem?[hr]
Actually, your problem does not at all sound like a worn clutch. Do you have a history of misshifting and grinding the dogteeth in the synchro? Did you learn to drive manny on this car? Do you hear a grinding, or might have to double-clutch or rev-match to get into gear? It's probably a bad synchro.

(by the way, you should ALWAYS rev-match. It saves your clutch, extends the life of your tranny, and can prevent you from losing control if you downshift in inclement conditions)

ALWAYS REV MATCH

Old 12-11-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way
HondaGuru is an unknown quantity at this point
i remember when I jacked my stock clutch. I could literally floor it @ 30MPH in 5th gear and have the engine rev as fast as it would in neutral.

a good way to test (if it isnt obvious like mine was) would to stop the car, put it in 1st then let off the clutch. if the car takes a little bit to stall then the clutch isnt engaging as fast as it should and therefore needs replacing.
Old 12-11-2002
Registered!!

URBASEAREBELONGTOUS is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: HondaGuru
i remember when I jacked my stock clutch. I could literally floor it @ 30MPH in 5th gear and have the engine rev as fast as it would in neutral.

a good way to test (if it isnt obvious like mine was) would to stop the car, put it in 1st then let off the clutch. if the car takes a little bit to stall then the clutch isnt engaging as fast as it should and therefore needs replacing.[hr]
would that happen with our car's clutch? cause it is so light to begin with.
Old 12-11-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way
yes, because ALL honda clutches/synchros/axles SUCK.
Old 12-11-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
I disagree about the axles. I hear that they can take a beating. Maybe there's been an improvement over the 6th gens? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-12-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with the synchros... my 3rd gear shows it but that's thanks to the clutch.
Old 12-13-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Grey
I disagree about the axles. I hear that they can take a beating. Maybe there's been an improvement over the 6th gens? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][hr]
define "a beating". sure they will take stock, under 100 ft lbs of torque, drag launches... but so will a slim jim beef stick.

Old 12-13-2002
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
When the clutch was going out on my 88 civic I noticed when I went from 1st to 2nd there was big delay before it clicked in. So I got really worried on it and took it in good thing I did it had like 230K or so on that clutch so not too bad.

Nick
Old 12-25-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: HondaGuru
[hr]Originally posted by: Grey
I disagree about the axles. I hear that they can take a beating. Maybe there's been an improvement over the 6th gens? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][hr]
define "a beating". sure they will take stock, under 100 ft lbs of torque, drag launches... but so will a slim jim beef stick.[hr]
Umm..honda designed the parts to work with the car they designed. Only problem I have ever heard about honda's straight-shifts are the synchros in the 6th gen si. Otherwise, they work perfectly fine and will last for a very long time when the car is kept stock and the driver is decent. You agree with that so I guess I wasted some space there. I have had 2 accords with 5spds that were both driven to ~150k. 1 of the 2 had the cv-joints replaced at 120k but that was it. I have never heard anyone complain about honda's straight-shifts. Almost always, when someone has a failure in a manual under 80k miles, it's because they are a moron and don't belong in a car with 3 pedals.

Maybe they don't stand up to additional power but they were never intended to. The 6th gen si, I don't know what happened...
Old 12-26-2002
Registered!!

Club2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
My clutch smells, hell my car smells when I run thru the gears hard... POS...