General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Exhaust ticket??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JoeyTStyleS is an unknown quantity at this point
Exhaust ticket??

Ok what I really don't get is why some cars with a loud exhaust get an exhaust ticket. I dont think its really fair. Why arent cops pulling over motorcycles like harleys and what not i mean those exhausts are alot louder than ours. My step dad for instance, hasa harley, loud *** exhaust not one ticket for oud exhaust so i just dont understand, why are we beign picked on??
Old 11-26-2002
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
Cause cops see us with these big exhaust and immediatly think we are racing like in Fast and the Furious. They figure they better stop it before someone gets killed.

Damn that movie for ever being released. Now everyone is out to get streetracers. Maybe the 2nd one will make us seem like good guys.

Just dont' rev your engine around a cop.

Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

sumama is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: JoeyTStyleS
Ok what I really don't get is why some cars with a loud exhaust get an exhaust ticket. I dont think its really fair. Why arent cops pulling over motorcycles like harleys and what not i mean those exhausts are alot louder than ours. My step dad for instance, hasa harley, loud *** exhaust not one ticket for oud exhaust so i just dont understand, why are we beign picked on??[hr]
Exactly what I've been wonderin. Those harleys are like 50 times louder than my exhaust, and i've never seen one of them pulled over.
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
no not true its called a disturbance and a noice ordinance violation. Its probably a municipal law in any jurisdiction you go into. But i guess i wouldnt know since i work in the law enforcement field.

INJEN
Old 11-26-2002

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
Moto cops drive harley's........maybe they are just partial to them. lol
Old 11-26-2002
I sure wish my car was newer

white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
The F&F argument is partially correct. But, the bigger part of it is that the laws vary for different vehicles. Trucks have much more leniant bumper safety regulations that cars, for example. It goes the same way with bike vs car exhaust. I don't know why the car is that way. I'd guess its more leniant because there is no real engine compartment for a motorcycle, so more sound is expected.
Old 11-26-2002

[hr]Originally posted by: injencivic
no not true its called a disturbance and a noice ordinance violation. Its probably a municipal law in any jurisdiction you go into. But i guess i wouldnt know since i work in the law enforcement field.

INJEN[hr]
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE HARLEYS!!!!!!!! they are damn louder than us. Why do you ticket us for exhaust and not hogs?

Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
we do. trust me, straight pipes are illegal. so theres your answer. i am speaking for my jurisdiction by the way.

INJEN
Old 11-26-2002

Every year we've got biker week in Myrtle Beach and all the harleys come down to Charleston to visit. It's so loud and I don't see one cop pull them over.

I usually stand behind cops, because so many people rag on them, but this one i have to agree with JoeyTStyleS.

Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

well i have been to bikeweek many times, with that volume of bikers, which is 250,000 bikes alone its hard to pull everybody over. I believe you need to not stand behind them and ride along with them and realize how hard the job of police work really is. i understand where you all are coming from but its just hard to get EVERYBODY out there.

INJEN
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

Yo thanx FlyRice
I mean heres an example my step dad and his friends leave my hosue and there is like 4 or 5 bikes leavin extremely loud exhaust and they are drivin around at like 10 or 11 and they are goin up and down the street any tickets?? nope any cops?? nope
my friend drives down a street not late at night maybe round 8 we are drivin we get pulled over gives us a loud exhaust ticket
Now how does this work the system is pretty fudged up
And about the fast and the furious thing
cops must be really stupid to take action on us for a movie that was well JUST A MOVIE!!!
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

watewate is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: injencivic
we do. trust me, straight pipes are illegal. so theres your answer. i am speaking for my jurisdiction by the way.

INJEN[hr]

hey injen, what would be legal aftermarket exhaust that one can get without having to worry about getting pulled over? recommend any brand/model you wouldnt consider pulling over for?

thanks in advance[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-26-2002
7thgen guh chee

JohnnyLee is an unknown quantity at this point
Greddy and DC sport
Old 11-26-2002
Prowlin' with a Purpose

WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
same thing happend with bikers a long time ago... ppl thought that they were all bad casue of a few bad eggs that cause a riot in a small cali town... same thing with imports... after F&TF same thing.... we just gotta sit it out for about 50 years....
Old 11-26-2002

Maybe with the new Biker Boyz movie coming out it will throw all the pressure on the crotch rocket riders instead of us.

Cross your fingers!
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually it's because every kind of vehicle has different exhaust restrictions. You can't compare a Honda to a Harley. Think about it... which vehicle actually has a PURPOSE for being loud?
Old 11-26-2002

[hr]Originally posted by: SoNiCcIvIc
Actually it's because every kind of vehicle has different exhaust restrictions. You can't compare a Honda to a Harley. Think about it... which vehicle actually has a PURPOSE for being loud?[hr]
I can't beleive that you just tried to justify automotive profiling.[IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG]

Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

ok but still dude
they pull us over for a loud exhaust
they odnt pull motorcycles over for one
if they can make our exhausts quieter then they can make a motorcycles exhaust quieter
still i dont care if ones suppose to be loud ok so basically ur sayin
ok well a motorcycle can go blazing down the street with straight pipes and not get a ticket but a car cant go down a street cuz its exhaust isnt suppose to be loud
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: FlyRiceRacer02
[hr]Originally posted by: SoNiCcIvIc
Actually it's because every kind of vehicle has different exhaust restrictions. You can't compare a Honda to a Harley. Think about it... which vehicle actually has a PURPOSE for being loud?[hr]
I can't beleive that you just tried to justify automotive profiling.[IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG][hr]
Actually I was just stating a fact. Nowhere in my post did it say that was the reason why police pull over cars for annoying exhausts. Chill out... it's a no-brainer that people win cars with loud exhausts do get harrassed for it and even some bikes have ear shattering exhausts. But if you ask me, IMO I would have less of a problem with a bike with a loud exhaust than a car because:

There are lesser bikes.
On roads, especially freeways I would hate for an unnoticable motorcycle to be in a hazzardous spot where I couldn't see him/her.
Old 11-27-2002
Registered!!

SatansEnemy is an unknown quantity at this point
imo the exaust is a bunch of crap anyway why have any noise restriction at all, and im venting but motorcycles should all be outlawed, so dangerous, nothing to protect the driver, so i say screw all motorcycles, kill them all, ha im just rambling but thats my opinion[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

and one more thing not to all cops injen, but the ones that pick on imports
THEY ALL SHOULD DIE!!!!!!![IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-27-2002

[hr]Originally posted by: SatansEnemy
motorcycles should all be outlawed, so dangerous, nothing to protect the driver, so i say screw all motorcycles, kill them all, ha im just rambling but thats my opinion[hr]
Actually, according to statistics, motorcycle drivers are the safest drivers on the road. They know that if they get in an accident that its their life that will be ended. Thus they drive safer than we do.

Old 11-27-2002
Ultimate OG Member

TopFuel will become famous soon enough
around so cali.....a cop can just pull you over and give you a "modified exhaust" ticket instead of busting out a db reader and checking the noise level of it. Which is basically what most of my friends get, CROSSING FINGERS not to get one haha

Jeff
Old 11-27-2002

[hr]Originally posted by: TopFuel
around so cali.....a cop can just pull you over and give you a "modified exhaust" ticket instead of busting out a db reader and checking the noise level of it. Which is basically what most of my friends get, CROSSING FINGERS not to get one haha

Jeff[hr]
It's illegal to have an aftermarket exhaust in Cali? I'm glad I don't live there. Cali seems to be the worst place to own a modified car.

Old 11-27-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: FlyRiceRacer02
[hr]Originally posted by: TopFuel

Jeff[hr]
It's illegal to have an aftermarket exhaust in Cali? I'm glad I don't live there. Cali seems to be the worst place to own a modified car.[hr]
Nah, **** like that is just harrassment but I remember someone here getting pulled over for a ticket and then when he starts his car the cop yells at him "STOP! YOU'VE GOT A MODIFIED EXHAUST!" I think that guy was from Cali. Not sure. But I dunno what you're basing your opinion on. If you ask me, if you have a noticable car and you make yourself noticable on the road around the city you reside - you've just given up your freedom.

I've been pulled over before with my old Skunk2 exhaust and wasn't ticketed for it (I actually got ticketed for having no front plate - and yeah that's a "Cali standard".)
Old 11-27-2002
spoiledsteph

and here in cali they just passed a law for performance/modified exhausts. it can't be louder than 95db. so for those that received tix for this, they can go to smog shops and get their exhausts tested, and if it falls under 95, the ticket will get thrown out, along with the fine. i don't know when this goes into effect tho....
Old 11-30-2002
Registered!!

Erichyung is an unknown quantity at this point
im gonna stick baseball bats in all the harleys' exhausts.
Old 12-01-2002
AR
e-married to daydreamer

AR will become famous soon enough
what kind of exhaust?
Old 12-01-2002
Registered!!

i wonder what decible motorcycles are restricted at??
Old 12-01-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: spoiledsteph
and here in cali they just passed a law for performance/modified exhausts. it can't be louder than 95db. so for those that received tix for this, they can go to smog shops and get their exhausts tested, and if it falls under 95, the ticket will get thrown out, along with the fine. i don't know when this goes into effect tho....[hr]
I thought it was already in effect. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-02-2002
LC
Registered!!

LC is an unknown quantity at this point
I live in NJ and someone told me tha replacing your cat is illegal. Does anyone know if this is true? What kind of exhaust do you guys suggest. Something that is not too loud so I wont get pulled over all the time.