General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Why did you choose automatic over manual?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002
DGibb

Why did you choose automatic over manual?

Just curious, if I get a new Civic it will be my first 5-Speed ever, so I am a little edgy about it, but I know I should learn it.

Anyhow, I was cruising the members pictures and by far since day one i got here, Silverpunk (err, Pearl Blue Civic with Buddyclub kit and tantrim rims) is by far is my favorite. I was thinking, "man awesome ride, I bet hes been into this a while", then I saw an interior picture and saw automatic transmission.

I'm not flaming at all, just curious, why auto over 5-speed? You can be honest with me, getting a 5-speed is kind of scaring me.
Old 09-09-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the rough
i chose auto over manual cause my parents bought my car
auto is better is alot easier in traffic. and is supposed to be better for turbos and no2
Old 09-09-2002
Registered!!

enzymes is an unknown quantity at this point
Didn't have a car to learn on at the time, and since I had just gotten my liscense, my mom is basically lending me the price of the car for the next 30 years, or however long it takes me to pay off, so she didn't want me to ruin the transmission of a new car learning on it, so I got stuck with the auto, despite my pleas.

edit1: lol we all have autos because of our parents

edit2: woohoo i'm a senior member now, you can call me señor.
Old 09-09-2002
ak
Retired Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ak can only hope to improve
I got auto because it was originally my sister's car....i sorta inherited the civic [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

Besides, come on.... the civic aint all that fast for manual Gas mileage is awesome no matter which one you get.
Old 09-09-2002
DGibb

I dunno, I'd like to get an automatic, but I feel silly for a few reasons.

Performance Exhaust... on an automatic? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

Friends Laugh at Me (They all have manual)

I know those are stupid reasons, I just wonder whats the point in making the car look like a race car if you have an automatic. And please, I am not "auto-hating", its just a curious question.

Be gentle.
Old 09-09-2002
Registered!!

Hondasport01 is an unknown quantity at this point
nevermind...[IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-09-2002
Registered!!

KRAYZYDRAGON is an unknown quantity at this point
with an auto i don't have to worry about shifting... just step on gas... but i gotta admit stick is fun to drive...
Old 09-09-2002
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
my parents. only reason, this is also my first car. yes i would love to drive manual car. saving for another car which will be stick.. im trying to find nice jetta
Old 09-09-2002
Registered!!

Desi is an unknown quantity at this point
got an stick b/c

1. its fun
2. feel like i have more control over the car
3. when racing u get better launch.
4. if u race a car that's exactly like yours, then the deciding factor is the driver (who drives a better stick)

can someone explain to me how having an auto is better for turbos???? am i missing something?

with an auto, i takes no skill to step on the gas
Old 09-09-2002
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
Manuals in my mind are for classic cars and sports cars with lots of power. A civic is neither, so I chose automatic. Manual would drive me insane with the stop & go traffic I'm in every day. I also didn't want to get good at stick on a brand new car.
Old 09-09-2002
Registered!!

CivicPunker17 is an unknown quantity at this point
hey dgibb! yeah thats my car youre talkin about, and thanks for the props, i really appreciate it (u gotta see the pics with the airbag suspension though!). anyway i got automatic for a few reasons. heres the rundown on myself first...im 17 still and just started my senior year in high school. hence im a youngen. so my parents bought the car for me and my mom to share. but once i had finally gotten my lisence i drove it all the time and started hookin it up. everyone told me to get a stick but whatever, the car was free and im always appreciateive of things i get. but now i know that if i run a turbo itll be just as quick as an 5 speed in my class. but basically ive gotten my car showey enough to the point that no one even says anything about the automatic anymore, so im totally fine with it. plus the airbag switchbox is way too much fun to play with while driving! and ive learned how to drive sticks since then (i drive my brother in laws 4-speed 400+hp vettes if i want some speed). and all i can say is i like both equally as much for different reasons. just get whichever one you want and dont let your friends make the decision. hope that clears things up.

heres my car on bags...my car
Old 09-09-2002
Registered!!

HomerSimpson is an unknown quantity at this point
I picked auto because I work in downtown Chicago - nothing by stop and go all the way home
Old 09-09-2002
DGibb

Yea those are the pics where I saw the interior. Your car has made to decide to go with Blue instead of Red if I get one.

Like I said, this would be my first 5-Speed ever, so I am (and admit it) really scared of making a $15,000 dollar mistake. Most people I've talked to, they are all like:

"Yea I saw this bad-*** modded car the other day, then when I went up to the window....it was an automatic..." *insert disapointed face here*

I fully understand its MY ride and I should decide what I like, but that feeling still pokes me in the back of my head "Why do you look fast if its an automatic?"

The only thing I've been taught that automatics are better at, is when you have alot of torque backing it. I could be wrong tho...
Old 09-09-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
my parents brought the car, they wanted auto, because they can only drive auto.

but now slowly, i like auto more and more, yes the manual seems more thrilling, but all the places i drive have inifinite amount of red lights, and people around here drive 10miles UNDER the speed limit, others, you are lucky if they move at all. and there is this place i always have to drive through, and it's a hill, on top of the hill, there is a red light[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

but i kinda want a stick to learn drifting... and doesn't matter how you drive, driving down casey key = awesome

so many little sharp turns...
Old 09-09-2002
Registered!!

01SOHCcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Auto goes good with turbo
Old 09-09-2002
Registered!!

basically if a person judges your car because of its transmission, they're ignorant and uneducated. they can make fun of a transmission all they want, but they're doing it simply becuase their "cool" friend has a 5 speed and its more than likely in some old *** POS accord with no work done, just a 5 speed. people who make fun of autos are just stuck on that whole "fast and furious" kick where you're not cool or fast unless you have a 5 speed. when actually with the mods those cars had and with the proper electronic tuning an auto would have been more quicker and more efficient. 5 speeds are more fun, but again, they both have their ups and downs.

next time a person makes fun of an automatic, ask them if they call it "nos" or "nitrous"...youll see what i mean
Old 09-09-2002
Registered!!

Ducatti is an unknown quantity at this point
My parents insisted I learn stick, and I wanted a stick too
Old 09-09-2002
DGibb

Now wait a minute, not all people who dislike automatics are stupid.

Its either 4-speed vs. 5-speed, what people complain about are suped up cars with automatics, from my understanding, with an automatic, not only do you pay an extra $1000 for a car, but you loose alot more horses to the wheels.

My fiancee has a 2000 Civic Sedan (automatic) with 17" wheels and a cat-back, so I've done the automatic thing.

If anything my curiousity gets the best out of me, I hear alot (and I mean alot) on how a manual gets your so much more performance (not fun nessasarily) out of your car.

Then again, if I wanted performance, I wouldn't get a Civic.

Maybe I should get an automatic....argh...I dunno...

Heres a question, I want to attend car shows, do you get points taken off, or are judges bias against automatics?
Old 09-09-2002
Registered!!

CarpeDiem is an unknown quantity at this point
I got an auto cuz..
cant talk on the phone and eat taco bell and switch gears..
but can with an auto..
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-09-2002
Registered!!

i guess judges arent looking for it because (and heres my bragging rights) at this weekends cruise for toys for tots in wildwood i was up against about 20+ civics and accords and a majority of them were stick. but, i got 1st place out of all of them![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] so judges dont judge a transmission, they judge a showcar. but if your fiancee has an auto then maybe youd want a stick, cause if you get tired of driving the stick u can use your girls auto for a bit. best of both worlds!
Old 09-09-2002
Registered!!

ChEe12iO is an unknown quantity at this point
i'll admit auto's are easier to drive, but manuals are so much fun ! not only that but manuals can spank autos. think about it. for example, on the freeway, ppl who drive manuals can down shift 2 gears. ppl with autos can floor it and drop like one, maybe 2 gears depending on the rpm, but you can't control it... the computer does. shoot, this dood i know has 7thgen celi auto with sport shift. he has lighter body weight and more ponies, but i still pull ahead of him on the freeway in my civ. and i'm not talking about crawling either. he had exhaust and intake with 18's. i have I/H/E and a few pounds in the rear for audio and i still pulled away like madd. just my $0.02.

learning stick on the civ, is not bad. just be madd careful. this car was my 1st manual too....
Old 09-09-2002
RC
Registered!!

RC is an unknown quantity at this point
manuals are fun to drive but changing gears all the time gets annoying, plus in goin for looks mostly and only some engine work.
Old 09-09-2002
DGibb

Grrr, I am stuck again. Now you guys make me undecided. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]

I mostly want to go to car shows, but I hear how FUN manuals can be.
Old 09-09-2002
Registered!!

Vesper is an unknown quantity at this point
infact i drove the stick before i bought the car and to tell you the truth i dint see a damn bit of difference. and anyways try driving a stick in nyc
its a pain in the *****
Old 09-09-2002
Mex
Registered!!

Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
[hr]Originally posted by: CarpeDiem
I got an auto cuz..
cant talk on the phone and eat taco bell and switch gears..
but can with an auto..
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][hr]
lol [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] that's me sometimes too, and believe me, at times like that I'm glad I have an automatic. I got an auto for 2 reasons: one, I never had the opportunity to learn how to drive a manual since no one in my family owns one. two, I commute to work like 30 miles each day, usually during rush hour. it's so much more convenient driving an auto. I'm a very relaxed driver. If I was a serious racer I would want a manual regardless how far I drive each day to work. but, that's not me. I'm not going to mod my auto to race people. well, that's not my plan anyway I'm modding my car because I want it to look and sound 'nice'... to be able to attend shows and get 'ooh's and 'ahh's. sure, 5-speeds perform better than autos, but unless you really plan to race, why not go for an auto. deciding factors would be the location you live in (roads, traffic lights), where you work, and your lifestyle.

there are some really nice automatics out there. more power to us.
Old 09-09-2002
DGibb

Maybe I should just get an automatic, then get one of those shift-***** that make it look like a manual (put a boot on it too).

Whatcha think?
Old 09-09-2002
Registered!!

Rockthumper is an unknown quantity at this point
I got a manual b/c:
-been driving them for ten years and like them, they are second nature after a while.
-1000$cheaper
-my personal rule: if its a small 4 get a stick, if its bigger than that get the auto
-from what I have heard, honda auto's are not as good as the stick, check consumer reports I could be wrong.
-love shifting, love the control of revs.
-more costly repairs on an auto(not really true anymore)
-not because of fatf
-bottom line it is all personal preference.
R/T
Old 09-09-2002
Registered!!

MexMike is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, I drive to school everyday and its a far drive. And if you know Houston, then you know traffic is a bia-itch![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG] ....Thats why my next ride will be a pimped out Lexus where you can switch between M/T and A/T. So sweeeeeeeet!
Old 09-09-2002
Registered!!

SpatSi is an unknown quantity at this point
NO don;t do that... then all you will be is a poser and your friends would make fun of you even more for not having a stick and trying to make it look like you ahve one. I actually jsut bought a 2001 black civic si 5sp (by myself) and I'm 17 and I have never driven a stick before... My dad tougt me today and i caught on within 20mins.. its a lil tricky at first but its not that hard.. hell i drove it for 45mins and I can use the stick pretty decently (inna parkinlot mind you) without griding the clutch or gears.
If I were you Id get the manual... you probaly wouldn't be statisfied with the auto.
Old 09-09-2002
Registered!!

StraightEdgeCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: DGibb
Yea those are the pics where I saw the interior. Your car has made to decide to go with Blue instead of Red if I get one.

Like I said, this would be my first 5-Speed ever, so I am (and admit it) really scared of making a $15,000 dollar mistake. Most people I've talked to, they are all like:

"Yea I saw this bad-*** modded car the other day, then when I went up to the window....it was an automatic..." *insert disapointed face here*

I fully understand its MY ride and I should decide what I like, but that feeling still pokes me in the back of my head "Why do you look fast if its an automatic?"

The only thing I've been taught that automatics are better at, is when you have alot of torque backing it. I could be wrong tho... [hr]

but then thier is someone thinking "why do u look fast if its a civic"...

Quick Reply: Why did you choose automatic over manual?