General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

New track times...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way Galaxy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JoeB16 is an unknown quantity at this point
New track times...

God damn it, I need to fix my 3rd gear synchro... but anyway...

Headed out to the track with a few friends of mine. They were both running bikes (an R1 and an R6 respectivly) and had a great time squeezing off 12 second passes like nothing. I, other then when I found out i needed to break open the tranny, had a pretty good time my self. It was a beautiful day out. Warm and sunny, all adding up to = a high bottle pressure to start out with. It was actually warm to the touch when I checked it before staging (the zip loc bags filled with steaming hot water helped too). I wanted to get some baseline runs in first to compair later. First 2 runs were a disappointment. First run I bogged 1st and managed to net a 15.4@90 Mph. Both the 2nd and 3rd runs were 15.2 on the dot, with my best of being my 4th and final NA pass at 14.98@92 MPH.
With that out of the way, it was time to get some runs is on the juice. I staged shallow for my first run. Brought the revs up to 6K and slipped the clutch. Perfect launch. 2nd came allong and I activate the system., however going into 3rd, i jam the shifter between the gate and lose valuable time trying to get it into gear. I end up with a 14.4@98 MPH. The 2nd run, I didnt get the launch down quite as well, but the rest of the run went perfectly, netting me a 14.2@98.65. My 3rd and final run came later in the day, after the track had cooled off a bit. The outside air temp had to have droped near 10* F. This time I tried a different approach. I armed the system in 1st gear, and droped clutch @ 3500 RPM (my window switch doenst activate the N20 untill 4K RPM), the SLIGHTEST bog was felt, and i was off. I ground into 3rd because of my failing synchro, but it didnt slow me down really. The end of the pass came, and I had a good feeling. I really liked the way my car had launched off the line. I was supprised to find out, i got a best time for my self with a 14.07@99.2MPH, but with a bad *** 60' time of 2.1 seconds. (i usually get crappy 60' times, in the 2.3-2.4 second range.) Ill be posting pics of the goings on as soon as my brother returns my USB cable so i can upload the pics off my camera. I have some rather nice rice sighting pics as well that you may engoy.

-joe
Old 08-22-2002
Registered!!

wh3nw0rdsesc4pe is an unknown quantity at this point
Good job hoe. I mean joe.... oh crap those letters are so close.

nah I am kidding man, 14.07 is sweet. It should only get better from here. What shot are you running?
Old 08-23-2002
Registered!!

viciousvolpe is an unknown quantity at this point
i can usually get good 60 ft...like 2.5 to 2.7 secs
but i got no power to hold it
maybe my pulleys wil help that when i get them on
Old 08-23-2002
Registered!!

nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn Joe...I just went though my slips and my best 60' time for me was a 2.485. Any tips you can give me next time I go to the track?
Old 08-23-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way Galaxy
Yes, for NA launches on low torque high RPM power engines (read: honda), you should slip the clutch at a high RPM (in my car, as i said, i do it @ ~ 6K RPM) this will allow you to stay in VTEC, while minimising wheel spin.
Old 08-23-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice.
Old 08-23-2002
Registered!!

Thx.

not to be rude, but i was able to "chirp 3rd gear" in a 95 Integra LS rental BTW.
Old 08-23-2002
Registered!!

Silver02EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Those are really good times
Old 08-23-2002
Registered!!

JKEEZO is an unknown quantity at this point
hey joe what track was this at???
Old 08-23-2002
Registered!!

carlsbad