General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

"Sealed" Transmission on my 2014 Tucson

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light
"Sealed" Transmission on my 2014 Tucson

Hi All,

This forum is pretty active so I'd love to hear some opinions on my 2014 Tucson!

So, the manual states that under "normal" driving conditions, the transmission fluid in my Hyundai Tucson NEVER needs to be changed... what!?! The transmission isn't literally sealed; it does have both a drain and fill plug, just no dipstick.

I also have a manual 2012 Civic so I'm not worried about draining and filling my tranny fluid, in fact, I get it done at least once a year, but from what I understand, automatic transmissions are an entire other beast.

I'm all about preventative maintenance so I am all for changing the fluid in my Tucson's transmission but I've also head some really polarizing comments about it. Some say they have driven their vehicle for over 400,000 km without ever changing the fluid and have never had a problem. Some say they simply do the "drain and fill" method, rather than flushing. Some say flushing can ruin a transmission by forcing the little particles into spots they shouldn't be.

I have issue with all those opinions since never changing the fluid just seems wrong, the drain and fill doesn't extract the fluid from the torque converter and the "flushing" just seems like a bad idea (a lot of people against it).

I want to keep this car for its entire life and I want that life to be very long. I'd love to hear some opinions on the topic!

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2017
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about
Re: "Sealed" Transmission on my 2014 Tucson

My 2016 Subaru is the same way. In my case, it's a royal pain to get the level correct when you read the service manual. I will change it since I am more **** about it then the motor. Will check where it's at at fill hole. If it never leaks, I am just going to be careful and put back what I take out. Drive it and then recheck it to the fill hole. However, not 100% sure but from reading manual, it's actually hard to get correct amount in until you go thru there spill.

I personally think your's is no different in the past. Just that it does not have a dipstick
since there was no way to engineer a way to have one with these CVT boxes.

On my Honda and Truck, first change was simple three or so changes to replace what is listed as the dry new fluid requirement. Then from there the normal 3-4 qt change ever 30K. Seems to work for me. Know when my 2007 Civic was going in for the free lifetime oil changes that came with it, they would always say your transmission needs changed since it smells burnt. Even after I had ran a 12 quart case thru it. So go figure. I quit going back to them when they used a scribe to punch a hole in the front CV boot. When you wipe off the small amount of grease that comes out of it, you cannot see a hole, so that is what they had to have done. They just do not expect me to inspect their work right after they did it. So go figure.

Just my though. Hopefully some one on here will truly enlighten the subject.

You do not want to back flush unless the transmission is truly designed for that. So far, never seen one that was. Know it was at some point even in the service manuals but Honda and Toyato must have found out it did enough damage that warrant ate them alive. Sure if you carried one in out of warranty, they would sell you that BS. 50% of them are crooks. I personally only know one that is not and he writes on here.

I am 68 and I keep my cars for life. Either me and RIP or passing on down thru children or grandchildren. Biggest mistake was telling RIP years ago they are only good for 100K. Now you cannot change her mind.

Last edited by RIPSAW; 02-22-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Most makes are going this same route. All current generation hondas with CVT transmissions in the US have NO dipstick. And these cars do have a service interval decided by the maintenance minder system.

And yes getting the fluid level correct on a CVT equipped honda is a PITA if you do it in the proper documented manner. Plus the new honda CVT cars have torque converters that drain, so this means that the fluid level will be different 10 minutes after shutting the car off compared to when it was turned off. Plus you need to be able to read transmission fluid temperatures to know when it has reached proper test temp.

But there are many many companies that are now using the 9 speed dual planetary trans designed and built by ZF. It is also a "sealed" unit and the fluid for it runs more that $50 per quart.
Old 02-22-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

does not have a dipstick
since there was no way to engineer a way to have one with these CVT boxes
The intent is to keep unqualified people away from the trans and its fluid, and it's far from just CVTs. The whole industry has been moving toward no dipsticks for both engine oil and transmission.....I started seeing this over two decades ago. .

How well that works in real life varies a lot.

I personally only know one that is not and he writes on here.
You just made me get all tingly LOL
Old 02-23-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mcnoople
Most makes are going this same route. All current generation hondas with CVT transmissions in the US have NO dipstick. And these cars do have a service interval decided by the maintenance minder system.
My 2007 Honda has a maintenance minder and seems to work pretty good. Not far off from how I have been manually taking care of my CRV and amazingly not overkill.

My 2016 Subaru does not seem to have a maintenance minder but shows it in the owners manual on the column. Nothing on my column, so it must have been some type of option or they forgot to put it on.

They say in the manual it's CVT requires no service for it's life in normal use. Interestingly, it has a 1/2" thick foil cover pad around it. Maybe a scatter shield just in case it blows up??

Bet the Subaru dealer will want $50 a quart for it's fluid. They wanted over a $1000 for the service manual.
Old 02-23-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

They wanted over a $1000 for the service manual.
Try to buy one for any new Honda.
Old 02-23-2017
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

RIPSAW - So you plan on changing your fluid then at regular intervals?

The Tucson doesn't have a CVT, just a regular 6-speed, so pretty standard in that regard. The dealership wants $250 to do a flush of the transmission but I definitely won't be doing any "flushes".

To change the fluid in the Tucson, you have to have it level and just fill till it overfills at the fill port.

Still not too sure whether I should change it at all.... I'll have a chat with the dealership and see what they say about it.
Old 02-23-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Reverb2005
To change the fluid in the Tucson, you have to have it level and just fill till it overfills at the fill port.
And that is very close to how the honda procedure is, but all makes that use this method specify a very specific range of transmission temperature when checking the fluid. And about the only way to correctly read the trans temp is with a quality scan tool.
Old 02-23-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Reverb2005
RIPSAW - So you plan on changing your fluid then at regular intervals?

The Tucson doesn't have a CVT, just a regular 6-speed, so pretty standard in that regard. The dealership wants $250 to do a flush of the transmission but I definitely won't be doing any "flushes".

Still not too sure whether I should change it at all.... I'll have a chat with the dealership and see what they say about it.

Sorry, I was comparing my Subie with a similar call you have up there in post 2. Will probably change it at 50K