General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

oh boy am i gonna get flamed on in here

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
friedtoast is an unknown quantity at this point
oh boy am i gonna get flamed on in here

so ..... long story short i know almost nothing on honda motors .... i am a big block guy ( like 454 cid and bigger stuff) anyways here it goes ....

i have a early 80s chevy rwd car that came from the factory with a stock 1.4 liter engine putting out a massive 40 hp at the crank ( its gm's other "vette")

so i wanted to install another 4 cylinder engine ( i know most people put a V6 or a V8 but i wanted something different something a little rev happy ) so i have been looking at either a k20 or a k24

what i want to know is if i had either engine and $3000 what could i get for "reliable" performance out of either engine ( as in hp)

i can get a k24 ( from a crv) locally for almost nothing ($250 for a complete running crv)

oh and yes i know their both FWD engines but i found someone who makes kits to mount these engines to gm auto or standerd transmissions
Old 02-21-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: oh boy am i gonna get flamed on in here

So why do you expect flame. Another option would be the J series 3.5L V6 engines from the minivans. They are plentiful and cheap ($500). The J engine can put out an easy 270 HP with just a free flowing intake and exhaust improvement.

With the K engines the sky is the limit on performance. If you have some money to spend you can get 500 HP out of those little engines.

The hardest part is getting a rear drive trans attached to the engine.

If you think your honda powered chevette is wierd. I have wanted to get an old AMC gremlin, chop the roof and turn it into a convertible with a BMW inline 6 and 6 speed trans. If I ever win the lotto I am going to do it.
Old 02-21-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
friedtoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mcnoople
So why do you expect flame. Another option would be the J series 3.5L V6 engines from the minivans. They are plentiful and cheap ($500). The J engine can put out an easy 270 HP with just a free flowing intake and exhaust improvement.

With the K engines the sky is the limit on performance. If you have some money to spend you can get 500 HP out of those little engines.

The hardest part is getting a rear drive trans attached to the engine.

well most times when people talk about putting import engine into domestic cars it cause's internet brawls XD

if i was going to put a v6 into it i would of went with 3800 SC but then it would just be another V6 chevette ( i mean their not a dime a dozen but they are common enough)

and for getting the trans attached i thought it would be damn near impossible without big bucks but i found a guy ( who believe it or not was already on my facebook) who makes adapters and couplings to match just about any engine to any trans ( he is working on a evo engine to turbo 400 trans atm)

he tells me it will be about $800USD for the adapter 2 couplings customized starter and the a custom flex plate ( already have a built auto trans only reason it will be auto and not standerd)

Last edited by friedtoast; 02-21-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-21-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by friedtoast
well most times when people talk about putting import engine into domestic cars it cause's internet brawls XD

That is more of a problem on domestic car forums. They hate imports just because they are imports. Honda is the absolute best engine builder in the world. They also make more engines than any other company. If you want a reliable low maintenance engine for just about any application Honda likely makes a suitable engine.

I have an old plymouth valiant. It has an inline 6 engine. I will likely put a GM 200R4 trans into at some point in the future because it would greatly improve how the car drives. 1 more gear and a lockup torque convertor. It would drop several hundred RPM at cruising speed even with a numerically higher rear gear. Purists would hate the concept of a GM trans in a Mopar. I have even considered the J swap into the same car. Easy idle, good economy, no maintenance.

If it is your car you can do what you want to it. Just do it well and do it right. Good Luck.
Old 02-21-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the other thing to worry about would be to connect the ECU - a very big can of worms?
Old 02-21-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

DIY-EFI or 4 sidedraft webers!
Old 02-22-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

So are you planing on ditching rwd or doing a custom transmission setup?