General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Emission Test question (engine light turns on and off)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zambonyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Emission Test question (engine light turns on and off)

Hey all, since I bought a 2000 ex about three years ago, every 3 months or so my engine light comes on for about a week and then shuts off. The previous owner told me its just an electrical issue . EIther way, I did a scan of the cpu (when the light was on) and it stated there is an p1456 - evaporative emission control system leak detected. Now the light is off again and Im expecting it to be off for another few months. If I do an emission test, will they register the problem because its stored in the computer from a long time before or is it that once the light comes off, the problem no longer shows up in the cpu? And even if it does, does the light being off help my chances of passing the test?
Thank you
Old 01-27-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Emission Test question (engine light turns on and off)

The previous owner told me its just an electrical issue
Because the warning light operates on electricity!
Jeez. SMH.

The code information should remain stored in memory even though the warning light extinguished on its own. You'll have to erase the fault code from memory either with a scanner or disconnect the battery to erase the stored info.

Before you go for an emissions test you will probably have to drive it until the readiness monitors have completed. Google 'OBD2 drive cycle for Honda' and find out some of the driving patterns necessary to make monitors run, and check your local emissions info to see what sort of tests are done and how many of the readiness monitors must be completed so you don't automatically fail.

If you don't already have one, you may as well look into buying your own code reader or scanner device that can display readiness monitors so you can tell if the car is ready to be tested or not.
Old 01-27-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zambonyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Emission Test question (engine light turns on and off)

Thank you Ezone!